Menu

Does it seem like

people were suffering much less from skin conditions like acne or psoriasis years ago? Looking at family pictures from 30+ years ago, there was not one teenager much less a grown up with less than perfect complexion.

Pollution, additives in food, or am I just imagining things?

It's all those veggies :) I'm starting to break out again because I'm too cold to eat salad and I'm not eating my usual dose of leafy greens.

There's another possibility. Perhaps the photo quality isn't so good after all these years so you can't see the spots.

:)

Rosie

All skin conditions (except an outright rash related to poison ivy sort of thing) originate from an internal condition, especially relating to the liver. The liver is our detoxifier, and if it struggles, toxins are expressed through the skin (that is a simplification but generally true). In naturopathy, you go to the liver and help it along if you want to deal with skin issues.

Considering all the trans fats and chemicals in our modern diet, (and how they affect the liver) and the quality of many people's diets...yes, I would say it is definitely related to our modern day environmental and dietary conditions. Not to mention stress which psoriasis is very related to. I think we are chonically stressed in our society and that has a profound affect on our systems too.

• 4 weeks later...
All skin conditions (except an outright rash related to poison ivy sort of thing) originate from an internal condition, especially relating to the liver. The liver is our detoxifier, and if it struggles, toxins are expressed through the skin (that is a simplification but generally true). In naturopathy, you go to the liver and help it along if you want to deal with skin issues.

Considering all the trans fats and chemicals in our modern diet, (and how they affect the liver) and the quality of many people's diets...yes, I would say it is definitely related to our modern day environmental and dietary conditions. Not to mention stress which psoriasis is very related to. I think we are chonically stressed in our society and that has a profound affect on our systems too.

As always, loving what Peela says. :) I also feel that inflammation plays a major role. If anyone wants specifics, let me know. Inflammation plays a role in many, many health conditions - acne and psoriasis ... all the way up to cancer and heart disease.

I recently read this in a book that I highly recommend, not just for those who are concerned about cancer, but anyone wanting to improve overall health - The Anti Cancer book

He writes:

The link between blood sugar levels and inflammation may seem far-fetched. How could a candy, a lump of sugar in a cup of coffee, or a slice of white bread with jam affect physiology? Yet this link is patently obvious when it comes to pimples on the skin.

... certain population groups whose way of life is very different from ours had no experience of acne (which is caused by an inflammation of the epidermis, among other mechanisms) ... yet acne is a rite of passage that affects 80-95% of Western adolescents. A team of dermatologists examined the skin of 1200 adolescents cut off from the rest of the world in New Guinea as well as in Paraguay. In these two groups they found no trace whatsoever of acne. They attributed their discovery to nutrition. The diets of these contemporary sheltered groups resembled those of our distant ancestors: no refined sugar or white flour, thus no peaks of insulin or IGF in the blood.

In Australia, researchers convinced Western adolescents to try a diet restricting sugar and white flour for three months. In a few weeks, their insulin and IGF levels diminished. So did their acne.

He writes:

The link between blood sugar levels and inflammation may seem far-fetched. How could a candy, a lump of sugar in a cup of coffee, or a slice of white bread with jam affect physiology? Yet this link is patently obvious when it comes to pimples on the skin.

... certain population groups whose way of life is very different from ours had no experience of acne (which is caused by an inflammation of the epidermis, among other mechanisms) ... yet acne is a rite of passage that affects 80-95% of Western adolescents. A team of dermatologists examined the skin of 1200 adolescents cut off from the rest of the world in New Guinea as well as in Paraguay. In these two groups they found no trace whatsoever of acne. They attributed their discovery to nutrition. The diets of these contemporary sheltered groups resembled those of our distant ancestors: no refined sugar or white flour, thus no peaks of insulin or IGF in the blood.

In Australia, researchers convinced Western adolescents to try a diet restricting sugar and white flour for three months. In a few weeks, their insulin and IGF levels diminished. So did their acne.

Hi Negin- very interesting! And not surprising.

I suspect a lot of us with hormonal issues would find the same.

people were suffering much less from skin conditions like acne or psoriasis years ago? Looking at family pictures from 30+ years ago, there was not one teenager much less a grown up with less than perfect complexion.

Pollution, additives in food, or am I just imagining things?

Maybe you just have some good genetics going on. I know in dh's family, we can trace the acne back. I know who to shift the blame to...Even dh's mother was treated for acne medically back when she was a teen. Seems a good sunburn was used to try to get rid of hers (by a physician). Didn't work btw.