Menu

Choosing bedrooms for the kids in the new house -- WWYD?

We will be moving at the end of the month. The bedroom that I'd like to have for my oldest son is the bigger bedroom -- figuring that both DSs will be in there together after younger DS is out of his crib. However, that is the quietest bedroom in the house -- farther away from the stairs and outside play area -- so that room would be better for younger DS in the short term.

So, I need to decide whether to put DS in their long-term rooms right away, or put them in rooms that fit the short term better and plan to move them in a year or so. I would prefer to have younger DS in the quieter bedroom away from the stairs. The big negative about moving them later is having to disassemble/reassemble the bunk bed and breaking the routine -- routine being very important to both DSs.

Thoughts?

I personally would give the older the bigger room. My youngest has always been around noisy areas and seems to do fine with it. Also, if your oldest is in ps as per your siggy, it will be quiet there during the day anyway. But, I hate moving rooms around - that's just me.

Hmmm, 3/3 say long term plan from the start. I was leaning the other way, but maybe this would be better. Less moving is good.

To answer some questions... It wouldn't be continually noisy around the younger son's room, but it takes only one loud clamoring down the stairs by DH or his siblings for him to wake. Younger DS is often up early in the morning, but it's often because he hears DH leaving for work. All the kids do have quiet time in the afternoon, during which younger DS naps.

Edited by Mama2Three

I would do what works best for you now, and worry about later, later. If you think the quieter room for your little one will buy you some quality results now, it might be worth having to move some beds around when the time comes. But I rank sleeping babies pretty high on my list of priorities ("shhh... don't wake the baby!!").

I would do what works best for you now, and worry about later, later. If you think the quieter room for your little one will buy you some quality results now, it might be worth having to move some beds around when the time comes. But I rank sleeping babies pretty high on my list of priorities ("shhh... don't wake the baby!!").

I understand the hassle of taking down beds and cribs and moving them to other rooms......and closets, and clothes, etc, but I agree with doing what's best for right now. If you go with the long term plan right now, and it is not working, then you will have put yourself through three moves by the time everyone is in their forever room, kwim?;)

I understand the hassle of taking down beds and cribs and moving them to other rooms......and closets, and clothes, etc, but I agree with doing what's best for right now. If you go with the long term plan right now, and it is not working, then you will have put yourself through three moves by the time everyone is in their forever room, kwim?;)

You know, I was thinking about this exact thing just a few minutes ago. :)

I've always let mine pick which rooms they wanted starting with the oldest, even at a younger age. FWIW, my oldest actually picked the smaller room and smaller bed, he says it feels cozier. Just recently when we took our house off the market, I asked them if they wanted to swap rooms, items in their rooms, and to pick a paint color out.

When we were at the house on Saturday, I asked my DC if they had any thoughts about the bedrooms, letting them know that mom and dad would make final choices. Eldest DS choose the biggest (and quietest) room for himself, then assigned the other rooms to his siblings. He seemed pretty certain about his choices and when I said, well I was thinking your sister could be in here, he was adamant that the other room he selected for her was better, lol! :)

Leaning this way ATM...

I like my youngest children closest to my room (so I can hear them in the night) and Not at the top of staircases (I worry they may fall if they are disoriented and walking around the house at night.

I would consider these two things the most important to me. Aside from that, I would put the kids in the long term rooms. Use a noise machine, radio, fan or what ever works for him to make the ambient noise less distracting. If that doesn't work, can he nap in brothers room during the day or in your room? We had a play pen in our room until they outgrew it and then a bed bundle on the floor (exercise mat with a cozy blanket on top) for when they were older. We would move them in there for various reasons for sleep. Both of my dds love to sleep in my room and while they were content in their own rooms, they still jump at the chance to nap in my room.

I'd probably just put both boys in the long-term room now. 2 is a reasonable age to transition to a big kid bed--just get a railing if you're worried he'll fall out. If you can, put the bunk bed up without the ladder. The big kid can still climb up, but it'll delay the 2 yo. figuring it out.

Then again, I just read your siggy...could you possibly put just the bottom of the bunkbed in for now, and the toddler in a toddler bed (or even the mattress on the floor)?

Edited by Ravin
OP's child is a climber