Menu

Have you used a SAT prep course or books and given high school credit for it?

Yes, we have used prep books, as well as the Chalkdust SAT math dvds.

No, I do not consider them part of their regular work so I do not give credit for them.

Do you know of any schools that do? If this is common I guess you can...but it does not seem right. The SAT is voluntary and I would think all prep work should go on outside of school hours.

Yes, we have used prep books, as well as the Chalkdust SAT math dvds.

No, I do not consider them part of their regular work so I do not give credit for them.

Do you know of any schools that do? If this is common I guess you can...but it does not seem right. The SAT is voluntary and I would think all prep work should go on outside of school hours.

Thanks

I used a lot of test prep books and scheduled them as if they were regular work. I initially thought about giving credit for test prep (even wrote up a course description), but I ultimately decided not to--for the reasons Liza mentioned. I just don't think it would look good.

Yes, we give 1/2 credit in our state for SAT Prep. When I was principal in a private school, I designed a course following state guidelines and learning objectives that included Stobaugh SAT Prep (includes math problem each day and devotional) , REAl SATs practiced once a week and scored, Word Smart Vocabulary on computer disk Levels 1 and up computer kept score and told student when they had mastered enough to progress to next level, timed compositions weekly and strategies taught by teacher, practiced and graded once a week. This more than met state requirements for SAT Prep elective which was never questioned by any college or university in or out of our state. BTW our students consistantly scored above the 75% on SAT and ACT and most received academic scholarships and the HOPE Scholarship which pays for their tuition and books for those with A/B average and high SAT scores attending a state university or college.

We don't hide our AP or Honors Credits as homeschoolers, why would we want to hide the fact our students are taking an elective course to help them with their SAT scores. I don't get it.:confused: My granddaughter started working on these objectives in 8th grade and has already taken the PSAT and scored well above her 9th grade level. Practice makes perfect. She will take the PSAT one more time this year and begin SATs in the spring. We give credits for drivers education, most sports, music, choir, etc.

I know that in our school district, SAT prep is incorporated into the curriculum. I also know that many school districts spend lots of time on essay writing for standardized testing as part of English, even as much as a quarter of the year. It's really in the best interest of the schools as it makes them look good when kids do well on any kind of test, and it's a priority in our high priced town. They do not, however, grant credit for this work as a separate course. In reality, they're taking away from "real English" to do test prep. Doesn't answer your question, just telling you about what happens in public schools in our area.

Yolanda

Yes, we give 1/2 credit in our state for SAT Prep.

I had a discussion with a lady whose dd was in 2 different private high schools (can't remember where). Her dd had taken SAT Prep at both. Both were 1/2 credit. Here in FL, we have a virtual school. They offer Critical Thinking and Study Skills for 1/2 credit. It's SAT Prep.

ETA: I just looked at the curriculum guide for our local PS. They have SAT Prep for 1/2 credit.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I'm not sure whether I can list it on a transcript for 1/2 of a credit. Thanks

My dd took an SAT prep course (local tutor) and did the Chalkdust SAT Math review discs (total of about 25 hrs worth of her time). We counted that as her honors "project" for her math course this year. (To gain honors credit she's also reading two additional math related books and writing essays for each).

FWIW,

Sharon