Menu

Family Potraits - how much?

We've never had our family portrait done. We have gotten our son's annual school picture, which would run around $20-$30 total for a 8x10 or few 5x7's and then I buy a frame to put it in.

I called a small business run by a local homeschool dad and asked how much it would be for a family portrait and he quoted me a $75 sitting fee and then for the actual pictures, it was going to be anywhere between $500-$900! :eek:

Is this outrageous or normal price range? I have no idea. I told him I'd have to get back with him on it. Our cost of living here is about $1,200 - $2,000 for a nice rental house in a great neighborhood.

??? Please give me your input.

I don't know, but I have much more important things waiting in line to eat up my money. I would look around for an amateur or go to a portrait studio, such as Walmart, Target, or my new favorite, Portrait Innovations (a package is one pose for $9.95 but they get you by taking lots of other pictures and sucking you in to buying more. They don't pressure you, though, and I'm able to resist, thanks to lack of funds!).

I don't know, but I have much more important things waiting in line to eat up my money.

lol! Me too, other than the fact that this is way out of our price range. We'd have to save for just for the sitting fee!

I've done a lot of reading on becoming a professional portrait photographer, and that sounds about right for someone who is running a photography business and trying to make a living. Often the sitting fee is higher. When you include prep time, time behind the camera, time spent editing, ordering photos, etc. it can easily be 10 hours per client. And then the cost of equipment, studio, insurance, etc...not to mention the prints themselves tacks on a significant expense.

Does he have a studio? If so, you may be able to save some money going with an "on location" photographer. He/she would meet you at a park or at your home and do the sitting there. Studio space and equipment cost a LOT of money. Be careful if you end up going this route, though--examine their portfolio carefully, they may just be someone with a nice camera and no photography skills. Also, be careful of someone who is ONLY selling the CD--most pros want to maintain the quality of their work and will insist on printing professionally.

I tried starting a photography business. I undercharged for my market and figured I would learn on the job. For myself, the conclusion I came to was that I need more time practicing before I can call myself a professional and charge what professionals charge.

For recommendations, you might try http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/

Another thought--you can always do Wal-Mart or JC Penney's or Picture People for a family portrait. It won't be the same quality as hiring a professional, but it will be much more affordable.

I am a professional photographer. I shoot children and families. My session fee is $100 for children and $150 for families. This does not include any prints. My average sale last year per session was $1200 in prints/albums/digital files in addition to the session fee. Of course I had sales that were in the $400 range and sales all way up in the $4000 range to make up that $1200 average.

Having said all of that, I could not afford myself. My services are mostly used by wealthy families who want the custom quality that I can provide. I do get some families who save up and come every few years because they see the value in it. Afterall, when the house is burning down, what's the one thing that they grab because they value the most? The photos...

People starting out as a photographer think it's a great way to make money and almost always charge too little. However it's quite expensive to do it legally and right. There is a lot of equipment and taxes eat up a lot and health insurance, etc, etc.

I am able to support my family on our income but that might be because I don't have high materialistic standards. We shop at WalMart and Target and I don't pay to have my nails done or buy name brand purses and shoes. What I do value is my time with my family and doing this work does allow me to homeschool my son and spend a lot of time all together as a family and for me, that's priceless.

Edited by Cindyz

$75 sitting fee is pretty cheap, really. The really good photographers here charge about $800-900 for a gorgeous framed photo, I think the size is about 18x20, not sure.

This guy is WONDERFUL - one of the best in town. But his prices reflect it. But you can hang a gorgeous artistic photo in your living room, and I would not do that with a Target photo. Nothing against Target photos, I use them for my scrapbooks, but I don't think they look like a piece of art I would hang on my wall. It is more just a cute snapshot of the family.

http://www.isaacalongistudios.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=2&a=0&at=0

I don't know, but I have much more important things waiting in line to eat up my money...... <snip>.

:lol: Me too.

OP,

That's about the going rate for a pro. Comb the kids' hair, puts some clothes on them, and get out your digital camera. Or, you can try Portrait Innovations. (I think that's the name.)

I am a photographer as well. I have found a nice niche in doing photographs for local families who want something more than Walmart, JC Penney, or Picture People, but who cannot afford the really expensive photography. I love what I'm doing. I feel blessed that my husband has a good job, and I also work as a nurse, so I am not having to make a living on the photography. It is nice to make extra money, of course, and it is usually spent on equipment and supplies (advertising, etc), or saved for our vacation. I've been doing photography for about 7 months, and it is going great. I don't do pictures everyday, and that's what I want.

Anyway, I am telling you all this to let you know where I'm coming from. I charge $50-75 for an on-location shoot. My really really small package is $60 and my largest is $400. My average profit is about $400 per shoot, and I spend, on average, 8 hours on each client from the shoot to the delivery of prints.

I hope you are able to find a great photographer who won't break the bank. I wish you lived closer to me! I would love to shoot your family. :D

If you want, you can look at my website (see my sig) and see all my prices.

I am a professional photographer. I shoot children and families. My session fee is $100 for children and $150 for families. This does not include any prints. My average sale last year per session was $1200 in prints/albums/digital files in addition to the session fee. Of course I had sales that were in the $400 range and sales all way up in the $4000 range to make up that $1200 average.

Having said all of that, I could not afford myself. My services are mostly used by wealthy families who want the custom quality that I can provide. I do get some families who save up and come every few years because they see the value in it. Afterall, when the house is burning down, what's the one thing that they grab because they value the most? The photos...

People starting out as a photographer think it's a great way to make money and almost always charge too little. However it's quite expensive to do it legally and right. There is a lot of equipment and taxes eat up a lot and health insurance, etc, etc.

I am able to support my family on our income but that might be because I don't have high materialistic standards. We shop at WalMart and Target and I don't pay to have my nails done or buy name brand purses and shoes. What I do value is my time with my family and doing this work does allow me to homeschool my son and spend a lot of time all together as a family and for me, that's priceless.

Do you have a website? I would love to see your work!

As a pro photographer, I agree with the other pro photographers :-) That is the 'right' price range, and in my opinion his sitting fee is very reasonable. That being said, there is always a chance that you can find someone who is starting out and needs portfolio pieces to do it for less. Depending on how large of an area you are from, of course. In the DFW area, it's very easy to find a beginner (usually on craigslist or recommendations from friends) who is just learning the ropes and building a client base and portfolio to do a sitting + a cd of the photos for around $100. You are then expected to take the files to walmart or walgeens or somewhere similar to print. If you decide to go that route, theres a few things you should consider:

1. Because they are starting out, it is possible that you can end up with a flake, a person who is slow or has bad customer service skills, or that is just plain unskilled.

2. They will most likely want to use your photos in their portfolio, and use you as a reference to other clients. Some people care about that, some people don't.

I don't know, but I have much more important things waiting in line to eat up my money. I would look around for an amateur or go to a portrait studio, such as Walmart, Target, or my new favorite, Portrait Innovations (a package is one pose for $9.95 but they get you by taking lots of other pictures and sucking you in to buying more. They don't pressure you, though, and I'm able to resist, thanks to lack of funds!).

:iagree:We love Portrait Innovations!

My favorite photographer charges $125 for the first hour and $50 for each additional hour for a sitting fee. His portrait prices are very reasonable. We love him and we don't mind paying the fee. $75 for a sitting fee is an excellent price.

Diane W.

married 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I don't have that kind of money either. We have just used our digital camera at some of the beautiful spots and then bought the larger prints at Costco. We have had a lot of compliments on our photos although they may not be quite as good as a professional.

I got some baby pics done professionally years ago because there was a special on at the shopping mall and the price was given to me up ahead and it was cheap. I have those pics still and they really are wonderful. (And I look so young in one!).

However.. I would never pay full price because I have other priorities for my money. And yes, the price is up around those prices.

Nowadays it is very inexpensive to take your own digital shots and get them printed yourself. At least, it is here. Dd and I recently picked out a dozen good photos and went and got them printed. Cost hardly anything for the 5"/8" prints we got, but it was cheap even for large ones.

We could do a trip to Bali for $900! Take lots of holiday photos and come back and get them printed for less than $10!