Menu

Does anyone have a creative idea

on how to display the books that have been read on our summer reading list?

I'm thinking of something where they write the name of the book, author, and maybe a little additional info, but as they read more books it turns into some kind of a big fun thing.

:D

Am I making any sense here?

How old are your kids?

I created a large caterpillar head and then cut out dozens of circles for the body. Each child had a unique color and we also had a unique color for read-alouds. When a book was finished (either individually or together), we would write the title on a circle and add to the caterpillar body. We had great fun with this!

How old are your kids?

I created a large caterpillar head and then cut out dozens of circles for the body. Each child had a unique color and we also had a unique color for read-alouds. When a book was finished (either individually or together), we would write the title on a circle and add to the caterpillar body. We had great fun with this!

8 and 11, which might seem on the older side?

They're open to anything fun.

on how to display the books that have been read on our summer reading list?

I'm thinking of something where they write the name of the book, author, and maybe a little additional info, but as they read more books it turns into some kind of a big fun thing.

:D

Am I making any sense here?

How about a paper chain? Each link will name the book, author, other info. as desired. Perhaps use a different color paper for each child. Hang it from the living room curtain, or across a doorway or window, or another highly visible space.

Scrapbook it. Each child can have his/her own book. Copy the covers of the books, decorate the page, journal about the author and story. You could do it every summer and the kids will have a neat memento when they finish high school.

We did this when my kids were this age. We included narrations, pictures copied from the book, or drawn while listening to the book. It was great fun.

I think you can buy blank jigsaw puzzles- you could write each book on one, but you need to have the right number of books.

You could do a race track and the horses move forward with each book.

You could do like a thermometer like they do for fundraising.

For girls - petals on a flower. For boys - cars added to a train.

Scrapbook it. Each child can have his/her own book. Copy the covers of the books, decorate the page, journal about the author and story. You could do it every summer and the kids will have a neat memento when they finish high school.

This is brilliant! And ds has been complaining that he wants to scrapbook w/ dd & me.

OP--another idea, not as much a display, but good for record-keeping, a little creative, & very containable--in my Children's Lit class, we used large index cards to draw a small pic representing the story, title, author, etc, & then a short summary/intro. The idea is like an old-fashioned card catalog, but w/ a real reader's opinion/input, & they were for our classroom libraries.

Mine were awesome, & it's a good thing I never taught elem school, because I'd have been scared they'd disappeaer. I liked my own artwork too much. :lol:

Thanks everyone!

My 8yo is doing the chain and my 11yo is doing the index cards. Everyone is happy. :D

Here are the reading journal we use:http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-reading.htm. The girls love using them, but we wanted something different for summer.

Edited by helena

Would y'all that have done scrapbooks for school mind to share pics? Ds is having trouble, & I'm not getting anything relevant when I google.

I couldn't find anything either. I was trying to get my 11yo to do that instead of the index cards. I'd love to see photos as well.

Thanks everyone!

My 8yo is doing the chain and my 11yo is doing the index cards. Everyone is happy. :D

Here are the reading journal we use:http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-reading.htm. The girls love using them, but we wanted something different for summer.

Oh, I love this. How long have you used it? Do *you* like it, too? Is it worth the $?

I've printed similar sheets from Donna Young, but...I don't have them printed in time, & we lose too much time waiting for them to download & print, or I print them ahead of time & we lose them, they get scribbled on, etc.

Of course...I guess I could just print them ahead of time & put them in a notebook myself. I wonder how much cheaper that would be....

Their timelines look wonderful, too. Have you tried those?

How old are your kids?

I've seen this - the kids made a really cute swirling caterpillar all around their bedroom.

Another idea (for anyone else) is to make a reading tree - if you have wall or door space. Cut out a brown posterboard trunk and branches, and then have the kids write down their reading on paper leaves in different shades of green or whatever colors you like. It can turn out quite lovely. We're going to try using different shades depending on the season that the book was read.

Oh, I love this. How long have you used it? Do *you* like it, too? Is it worth the $?

I've printed similar sheets from Donna Young, but...I don't have them printed in time, & we lose too much time waiting for them to download & print, or I print them ahead of time & we lose them, they get scribbled on, etc.

Of course...I guess I could just print them ahead of time & put them in a notebook myself. I wonder how much cheaper that would be....

We've been using it since September, and it's been a BIG hit. It was so worth the money.

I've read several complaints about them, the ink is slightly irregular on the cover (not all pitch black), and the format is too simple (just a place to list the books, and only one format to write your report and not much writing space).

I can understand those gripes, but for us it hasn't been a problem. I didn't buy these journals to have them do lengthy reports, I just wanted them to reflect on the books, and feel more accountable in the reading department.

I encouraged my 5th grader to go back and read any and all picture books, so she could enjoy those books again before she's really too old for them. She's had a lot of fun with that.

We will keep using them until they're completed. I'll happily order new ones if they ask.

I went round and round over the timelines. I finally decided to buy WP timelines because the dates were preprinted on the pages. I was worried I wouldn't space the dates out properly (we did WP S&S which scanned ancients to modern).

I still want to get them. :)

I've seen this - the kids made a really cute swirling caterpillar all around their bedroom.

Another idea (for anyone else) is to make a reading tree - if you have wall or door space. Cut out a brown posterboard trunk and branches, and then have the kids write down their reading on paper leaves in different shades of green or whatever colors you like. It can turn out quite lovely. We're going to try using different shades depending on the season that the book was read.

I would love to do this in the fall..

Would a 6th grader think it's lame? Or do they secretly still love that kind of stuff?

http://www.firedearthdesigns.com/ReadingTreeWeb.jpg

http://www.tipperarylibrarynews.ie/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/clonmelrt.jpg

http://alisamlibby.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/the_tree_of_books_by_vladstudio.jpg

Would y'all that have done scrapbooks for school mind to share pics? Ds is having trouble, & I'm not getting anything relevant when I google.

The idea just came to me. The only picture I know of is in my head. It was my once every 10 year creative idea. There won't be another one until I'm in my 50s.

The way I see it in my head is one has scanned the cover of the book, printed it on stock then put it on the 12x12 page. Attach some lined paper for a short book report. Or a page of author information if one reads several books by the same author. Then there is the character drawings and settings of stories that can be used to decorate the page or use as background.

I have that book. Dd has not used it. I've been carting it around for two moves now. It is a cute little book and would make someone a nice record of their books.

The idea just came to me. The only picture I know of is in my head. It was my once every 10 year creative idea. There won't be another one until I'm in my 50s.

The way I see it in my head is one has scanned the cover of the book, printed it on stock then put it on the 12x12 page. Attach some lined paper for a short book report. Or a page of author information if one reads several books by the same author. Then there is the character drawings and settings of stories that can be used to decorate the page or use as background.

We tried one yesterday, but ds spent over an hour copying a poem (badly) & never got around to the scrapbook.

He has such a hard time w/ narrations & retellings anyway, it occurred to me (& I think I thought of this before & forgot--how awful is that!)--that I should have him narrate picture books first, so we can work w/ manageable ideas & work up to bigger books.

We did a scrapbook page today, but I accidentally chose a non-fict picture book, so it was easy. Will try again tomorrow, lol.

Anyway, I think the scrapbook page is essentially the narration page described in WTM, just bigger. And smaller would be cheaper, & I'm thinking we should do this for *everything.* My kids were so excited. Give them a pc of Donna Young paper, ask for a pic & a summary, & they balk. Give them complete freedom, & they'll actually put *more* work into it. I got decent summaries from both, glued onto the pg like scrapbook journaling & lovely all-over-the-pg illustrations. I think I'll shoot for 8.5x11 in the future & keep this up. I'm hoping we'll finally have the lovely notebooks I've always wanted but could never inspire my dc to make. :lol:

I LOVE this idea!! I scrapbook and I never thought of doing this....:glare:

I am still waiting for my "once very 10 year creative idea"--my dh thinks I am a genius with all the ideas that I borrow from everyone on here. (our little secret);) I will be stealing, I mean borrowing, this one too!:lol:

I'll bet if you gave it a modern/artsy look, they'd love it!

We tried one yesterday, but ds spent over an hour copying a poem (badly) & never got around to the scrapbook.

He has such a hard time w/ narrations & retellings anyway, it occurred to me (& I think I thought of this before & forgot--how awful is that!)--that I should have him narrate picture books first, so we can work w/ manageable ideas & work up to bigger books.

We did a scrapbook page today, but I accidentally chose a non-fict picture book, so it was easy. Will try again tomorrow, lol.

Anyway, I think the scrapbook page is essentially the narration page described in WTM, just bigger. And smaller would be cheaper, & I'm thinking we should do this for *everything.* My kids were so excited. Give them a pc of Donna Young paper, ask for a pic & a summary, & they balk. Give them complete freedom, & they'll actually put *more* work into it. I got decent summaries from both, glued onto the pg like scrapbook journaling & lovely all-over-the-pg illustrations. I think I'll shoot for 8.5x11 in the future & keep this up. I'm hoping we'll finally have the lovely notebooks I've always wanted but could never inspire my dc to make. :lol:

And there is nothing to stop you from doing some of the writing or even typing and printing.

I LOVE this idea!! I scrapbook and I never thought of doing this....:glare:

I am still waiting for my "once very 10 year creative idea"--my dh thinks I am a genius with all the ideas that I borrow from everyone on here. (our little secret);) I will be stealing, I mean borrowing, this one too!:lol:

Now, if you wait 5 years for your idea then share it with me we can double our creative output. :lol::lol: