Menu

Buying a new mattress--why must it be so hard?!?

If I owned a mattress company and I made XYZ mattress that was good quality and received good reviews, I would make sure that it was clearly labeled "XYZ Mattress". I would not force my customers to look at the mattress and think, "Is this the same as the XYZ mattress we saw at the other store? This company makes XYZ mattress but I'm not sure if this is the same one."

Sigh.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to buy a mattress? 10 minutes in the store does nothing for me and I have a real distrust of anything a salesman tells me. Our current mattress is 11 years old and has needed replaced for about 5 years. Our anniversary is coming up so I'm thinking this might be a great anniversary gift to each other.

I bought from these folks:

http://www.us-mattress.com/

Still majorly in love with the mattress 3 years later... They are good at deciphering which mattress model is the same as the kind you may see in store. Ours cost less than 1/2 of what it would have cost to by from Sleepy's with a sale going.

The manufacturers are really out there with rebranding the same model for each different retailer! I feel your pain. :grouphug:

Edited by nono

I would avoid any stores until you are more familiar with mattress types....those stores are just going to push their products.

First, determine which type of mattress do you want: Coil (the old style), Latex, or Memory Foam. A internet search of of something like "different types of mattresses" or something along those lines should pull up some good info.

Once you determine what you MIGHT be interested in, then you could go to the store to try them out. Get prices...and then come back home and look at the prices online.....the stores tend to be WAAAAY more expensive since they have such high overhead to cover and salesman commissions.

I just bought two memory foam mattresses from Overstock.com and both are wonderful....and lots of reviews to read before purchasing.

In our area, a regional independent manufacturer is fabulous! We bought a latex matress from them 5 years ago and have referred many friends.

The Original Matress Factory. http://www.originalmattress.com/

Another consideration is to purchase a matress without all of the extra toppings, one that you can flip. Then, buy your own egg crate and memory foam tops and just change those every 3 or so years. This will greatly extend the life of your matress and reduce the cost of the original purchase.