Menu

Kansas

Gigi

she was from Riley county on the K-8 and general forums...

I wish I had something as nice as the Nelson out here. My great great Grandfather (father's father's mother's father) was a Swiss cooper who came over and settled in Strawberry Hill (now part of KCK). His daughter and son came over to join him before the Civil War.

My father's mother's father came out with the railroads after the Civil War and settled in Thayer one winter when the track crew stopped due to frost. He brought out a mail order bride from his home state of Vermont, and she outlived him by far. She was elected Mayor in the '20's, donated the land to start the library, etc. etc.

I grew up in Riley county, so you can see, I am transplanted, but really a Kansan at heart. Have any of you read PrairyErth, a wonderful book about Chase County. The writer walked over it all and interviewed a third of the citizens. They have a lovely courthouse and historical society there, too.

Two of my favourite Kansas quotes:

Who lives in the valley of the Kaw spends the rest of his life returning.

and

Kansas's greatest export is its children.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest tempusJenbird

I'm almost in the US geographic center here in Saline county, near Salina! :001_smile:Any highschool homeschoolers in central KS? I am a newbie who'd like to find a support/coop group for a high schooler.