Menu

Science for Grammar stage based on the ancients

Karenciavo

Background info: grammar stage science for us is a delight-directed/unit study approach. We will be back at the ancients again in September. I found a really neat oldish book called Archimedes and His Wonderful Discoveries by Arthur Jonas (illustrated by Aliki) that includes a bio of Archimedes throughout with chapters on various principles he worked on and experiments we can do.

I would love to find something like this for some of the other civilizations we will be covering, Egypt, Babylonians, other Greeks, Romans, etc. We don't spend a whole lot of time in Ancient China, but if you know of something like this for that civilization that would be great. I'm looking for anything from a complete curriculum of ancient science to individual books to lap books. This is for my 3rd grade son who is a great reader and lover of science.

Thank you,

Karen

I am making our whole curric up around TOG Ancients this yr for my 5th and 2nd graders-copywork, spelling, sci, everything. We're even adding in living math from ancients-Mathematicians are People Too, Pythagoras, etc. (although we are also using a regular math curric, and phonics/grammar for the younger.) We also are mainly delight-directed for sci in elementary (although I do use curric sometimes as a jumping off point.)

I don't have many specific resources to offer you, but during our creation study we're going to study Pangea, plate tectonics, etc. When we talk about shadufs, we'll cover simple machines. Then of course there is a ton of sci during Greece and Rome-famous scientists, aqueducts, etc. A good series I found was Science in Ancient... (Egypt, Rome, Greece, and I think there is Mesopotamia.) I'll find things online-websites, etc. I plan to use some from this book:http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-City-How-Infrastructure-Works/dp/1556524196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275345143&sr=8-1

It is a very cool book-you can't really tell from the TOC, etc., but it has a lot of history going back to ancients-how what we have today in our infrastructure comes from them-and meaty experiments. It is for older, but my dc love sci and will glean a lot from it as a readaloud and we'll do some of the easier experiments. Also going to see what I can find from Netflix. I don't have it fully ironed out yet, but this is the general idea. I will be :bigear: on this thread too!

Ooo, Lisa, that looks Great!

It was fun and you can keep it simple or give it more depth. For example, the first experiment we did was for the Stone Age. Push a dowl into the ground and measure how far it goes in. Then sharpen the end, push it in the ground again and now measure how far it will go in. It's a good lesson for showing how a simple change can make a dramatic difference in what can be accomplished. It's an introduction to wedges. You can stop there with a younger child or go on to discuss simple tools with older students.

For China, the kids use a film canister, water, and Alka Seltzer to discuss the invention of Chinese gunpowder and its relation to chemical reactions. We were already studying chemistry so I didn't expand on it. Be sure to have lots of Alka Seltzer on hand as this one is too much fun.

We used the Science in the Past series as well. They have several books but not all of them are still in print. Science in Ancient India can be obtained from the library and is worth getting because it provides a different slant on ancient science then some of the others. I would use the series with upper grammar to logic stage students.

Thanks for the Science in the Past recommendation - my library has all of them and I am going to get them for the kids to look through and see if we should buy them.

I LOVE science and history so combining the two is like heaven to me!!!!

They are almost always in the 4-for-3 promotions on Amazon, so $26.85 for four with free shipping. You can often find them used on TWTM forum too.