Menu

Milsaps College in Jackson MS?

Small LACs are exactly what our ds is looking for....He will be either a math or history major.

He has looked at Bryan, Union, and Lambuth.

Milsaps would be about 3and 1/2 hours from our home. Not bad.

Bellhaven is also in Jackson, so we could hit two birds with one stone.:001_smile:

Brenda

I live about 5 hrs from Jackson and if my dd were interested I'd definitely make the trip. Since your son likes LAC it might be a good fit and 3.5 hrs is just about right for not being too far.

We looked at Birmingham Southern in B'ham, AL. We were both very impressed with it, don't know if that would be an option for you too. I do know several grads from there and they all praise it highly.

among all the other "normal" things, is that Millsaps is one of those originally denominational schools in which the student body and campus leaning has become much less connected to spirituality than it had been. Some schools have as their clearly defined mission to cultivate spiritual intent as students go into their career lives. Belhaven has that; Millsaps does not. (Whether that is a good thing or not...ymmv.)

Thanks for the information. We are seeing that a lot in the schools we have been looking at lately.

The very same thing could be said of the college where I attended. It makes me very sad.

Christian worldview is very important to our family.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

My dd is attending Belhaven University this fall. We are more and more impressed with every contact we make. In fact, my dd is a Collaborative Piano and Pedagogy major and her future professor and his wife drove 3.5 hours to attend my dd's Senior Piano Recital yesterday. :)

Christian worldview is very important to our family.

Criteria is plural, right?? I hope so...

If worldview is important both in general and as a specific study, Bellhaven sure has it! They have a mandatory worldview series that students pursue as part of their core curriculum. It is outstanding!

There were other things that made the college + the major a mismatch for my dd, but had she been interested in another line of study, that might have been a great place for her. I can't encourage you enough to go for a campus visit.

What MSPolly stated was true in art as well. The art dept chair spent hours with dd, pushing her, critiquing her work, seeing if she was teachable, and he offered to work with her long distance during the summer before her freshman enrollment. That kind of involvement in student's lives seems to be the norm.

1)Christian World View

2)Academically challenging

3) Not too far from home.(Being able to get home in a days time.:auto:)

4) Not more than 1500 students. Wants to KNOW his professors and TALK with them and DISCUSS with them.

5)Affordable(Do not want to take on debt to do this.)

6)Good cafeteria!(O.K. y'all....He's a boy....has his priorities;))

7) Some type of community service: He is an Eagle Scout. LOVES to serve the community.

Wants to major in math, history, or econ with the plan to maybe teach those.

We are near Memphis, so here is our list of colleges. Not in any particular order.....

Bellhaven(MS)

Ouchita(AR)

Bethel(TN)

Bryan(TN)

Covenant(GA)

Lambuth(TN)

Asbury(KY)

1)Christian World View

2)Academically challenging

3) Not too far from home.(Being able to get home in a days time.:auto:)

4) Not more than 1500 students. Wants to KNOW his professors and TALK with them and DISCUSS with them.

5)Affordable(Do not want to take on debt to do this.)

6)Good cafeteria!(O.K. y'all....He's a boy....has his priorities;))

7) Some type of community service: He is an Eagle Scout. LOVES to serve the community.

Wants to major in math, history, or econ with the plan to maybe teach those.

We are near Memphis, so here is our list of colleges. Not in any particular order.....

Bellhaven(MS)

Ouchita(AR)

Bethel(TN)

Bryan(TN)

Covenant(GA)

Lambuth(TN)

Asbury(KY)

Well, I was going to mention Covenant as it seems to meet everything on your list, but I see it's already on your list to consider. ;) My oldest is going there next year and I've been very happy with contact from the college to this point. He's excited about going there. He'll be double majoring in Community Development and Business or Economics with plans to become a microfinance manager in 3rd world countries. The school does VERY well with Major Field Tests. It's definitely small and profs definitely have good discussions and mentoring relationships with the students. Those are all big pros for my guy.

My dd is very interested in Millsaps college. She is looking for colleges with strong academics, tolerant of Christians, conservatives and Military, good prep for law school, and preferably smaller schools though she may consider an Honors college in a large school. Oh, and they have to either have a yellow ribbon program or have state schools cost so much that one is not needed. Millsaps seems to fit the bill and she will be going to visit in the fall. We don't care much which part of the country she ends up in since we have no idea where we will be living in Fall 2011 and it may very well be overseas again.