Menu

Has anyone ever list LoF on their kid's transcript?

And how will that go over at a high-level university? I'm wondering if I should just write something like "Advanced Algebra, by Scmitt, S. instead. I personally have no problem with the quality of the books, but writing "Life of Fred" makes is seem sort of, um, trivial. Thansk.

Jeri

I did not list any texts on my son's one page transcript. Rather, I had an eight page course description document on which I listed texts, etc.

It is my understanding that the Life of Fred Calculus text appears on the College Board website as a potential book for the course. Perhaps admissions officers are not unfamiliar with seeing "Life of Fred" somewhere in text book lists?

Yes, as the others have said, only course names, amount of credit granted, and grades (if you issue them) go on the transcript itself.

Like Jane, I prepared a separate document with course descriptions that briefly described the scope of each course, major resources used, and named outside teachers/institutions where appropriate. I only submitted that document in one instance out of 8 total applications between two students. I probably would have been able to get away with not submitting it in the one instance but felt it might smooth the way to admission, so I did.

Whether or not you need to give text titles depends on the university. With my oldest, no one asked or cared. However, now that we have moved to a different state, it is a little different here and many of the universities want to see textbook titles from homeschoolers.

Here is what is a partial list from one website (I bolded the text notation):

Given the unique nature of each student's curriculum, we suggest including the following to ensure an accurate and fair review of your application:

* Results from five SAT Subject Tests, preferably mathematics, history, science, foreign language and literature

* A detailed description of your curriculum, including a list of texts utilized

* A listing of all institutions attended

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

My kids' transcripts will be written by our ISP, which doesn't list text books. If a college or university requires more they can forward either the Course Descriptions (no text info) and/or Course of Study (all texts listed). Still, Life of Fred isn't the book name so I don't know that I'd include it. I'd probably list them "Advanced Algebra (Polka Dot Publishing)" in the book/publisher section. The course also has a title, which would reflect the content of the texts listed. For example: Algebra 2 for the course; Algebra 2 (Math U See), Advanced Algebra (Polka Dot Publishing) for text/publisher for our Algebra 2 course next year. Next year will be the first time I put it on my Course of Study so I don't know for certain whether my ISP will want "Life of Fred" listed anywhere.

Whether or not you need to give text titles depends on the university. With my oldest, no one asked or cared. However, now that we have moved to a different state, it is a little different here and many of the universities want to see textbook titles from homeschoolers.

Here is what is a partial list from one website (I bolded the text notation):

Given the unique nature of each student's curriculum, we suggest including the following to ensure an accurate and fair review of your application:

* Results from five SAT Subject Tests, preferably mathematics, history, science, foreign language and literature

* A detailed description of your curriculum, including a list of texts utilized

* A listing of all institutions attended

This is what I have seen as well. I was planning on preparing a transcript with a separate list of course descriptions.