Menu

What do you serve with main dish pasta salads?

I want to start making more main dish pasta salads this summer. However, if that's all I serve, my family will not be thanking me (and they'll be starving when they are done). What, other than fruit, can I serve to round the meal out? I can serve them with crunchy bread, and likely will, but all the carbs between the pasta and the bread isn't what I'd like to be the thing to fill them up.

Suggestions? Summer soups, maybe?

I never thought of serving it with nuts and cheese or cheese and crackers. Those are very good ideas. And the crackers - that would be even better than bread for some of the salads!

Dh suggested grilled fish, which is good, but he's grilling the fish. My objective is to not turn on the oven ;).

Thanks!

I want to start making more main dish pasta salads this summer. However, if that's all I serve, my family will not be thanking me (and they'll be starving when they are done). What, other than fruit, can I serve to round the meal out? I can serve them with crunchy bread, and likely will, but all the carbs between the pasta and the bread isn't what I'd like to be the thing to fill them up.

Suggestions? Summer soups, maybe?

laura, i need a little more info than what your giving ;) for instance, i'll make a pasta salad this way.

boil pasta and some vegetables together (frozen smaller veggies like the combo: corn, pea, gr. bean, carrot, lima OR dice up a few fresh garden vegetables like carrot, cucumber or zucchini, etc

drain and cool

after cooled mix with a jar of alfredo sauce

** here you can keep it vegetarian or add some chicken that you previously boiled, drained and cooled down to dice

mix above well and layer on top a bed of salad greens

sprinke with a little parmesan cheese and or diced tomatoes and/or nuts like almonds or pecans

serve with cornbread and a fruit cup

HTH sheryl <><

Cold ham (not your average side dish :)), cold fried chicken (same), baked beans. Add bacon and cheese to the pasta salad. Baked sweet potatoes. Fried okra. Broccoli. Asparagus. Sliced tomatoes. Deviled eggs. Pimento cheese sandwiches.

If you'll excuse me now, I am suddenly hungry.....

Edited by MaryCatherine