Menu

Bhagavad-Gita: What is this?

ABQmom

This is on the rhetoric list for TOG year 1, and I've never heard of it. I can get copies of different translations from my library, but not the one TOG recommends. Any ideas here on a good translation? And, is this book worth trying to read?

It is an absolutely wonderful book, IMO. My favourite translation (which is not a direct translation but a modern, readable version of a direct translation) which is very readable, is Stephen Mitchell's.

amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-Translation-Stephen-Mitchell/dp/0609810340

It is a foundational text IMO. It is like a Bible to the Hindus.

As matroyshka already mentioned, it is one of Hinduism's sacred texts.

An online version can be found here:

http://gitapress.org/Download_Eng_pdf.htm

and here

http://www.chinmayauk.org/Resources/Downloads.htm

Swami Chinmayananda's and Swami Chidbhavananda's translations are very easy to understand. I've not read the one translated by Eknath Easwaran, but I've heard it is good too.

It is an absolutely wonderful book, IMO. My favourite translation (which is not a direct translation but a modern, readable version of a direct translation) which is very readable, is Stephen Mitchell's.

amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-Translation-Stephen-Mitchell/dp/0609810340

It is a foundational text IMO. It is like a Bible to the Hindus.

Thanks for the information everyone. And Peela, thanks for the recommendation--my library has this one!

Thanks for the information everyone. And Peela, thanks for the recommendation--my library has this one!

I hope you enjoy the reading!

I just wanted to note, as Peela had touched on, that Mitchell's version of the BG does not go into the depths of the meaning of the BG as his Sanskrit knowledge is elementary as well his knowledge of Vedanta. It should still be a good read, but should not be viewed as an authoritative translation.

Bhagavadgita is part of Mahabharata, a Hindu epic. It's a conversation between Khrisna (a man-god; thought to be the man form of Vishnu, I think) and Arjuna, just before the great war.

Since the conversation discusses many teaching aligned with HIndu belief, it's also regarded as Hindu sacred text.

• 1 year later...

I am planning on reading this later this year as part of my attempted ancient history studies. :) I found a version on Amazon that looks great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0941524787/ref=mp_s_a_9?qid=1309878991&sr=8-9 (sorry, don't know how to hyperlink on my iPhone!).

The reviews for this version are all great. I have thumbed through the book and the commentary is probably 3x longer than the actual text. I'm sure I will need all of the explanation since it's my first attempt at this type of literature.

Wow, I literally started re-reading Mitchell's version today, and by coincidence this thread was resurrected the same day.

The children's version looks like one of those common books you see in India for kids. I bought the Ramayana and read it to my kids and we loved it- they were older though and the book was quite long, although well illustrated.

Since yoga and meditation and Indian spirituality are familiar around here, we didn't go there, but I can see that could be fun.

The reason I like the Mitchell version is because a) I am not reading it for scholarly or academic reasons b) I can access the spiritual message of the story well through Mitchell's version. It touches my heart and helps me realise why it is so cherished by Hindus. c) It is an easy read deliberately, but I do not feel it is dumbed down- it just speaks for the essence.

However, I am no scholar, nor am I Hindu. I rarely reread books but this one I have already- this is my 3rd time- because it is so beautiful.

Swami Chinmayananda's and Swami Chidbhavananda's translations are very easy to understand. I've not read the one translated by Eknath Easwaran, but I've heard it is good too.

I have Swami Chinmayananda's Geeta for Children. It's annotated, but I do have to admit its annotation seems aimed at an educated Hindu parent that might have more background in Hinduism than I do. :tongue_smilie: It also has questions at the end of each chapter. I bought it at the local Chinmayananda Temple's bookstore, but it's also at the helpful link the PP posted.

Wow, I literally started re-reading Mitchell's version today, and by coincidence this thread was resurrected the same day.

The children's version looks like one of those common books you see in India for kids. I bought the Ramayana and read it to my kids and we loved it- they were older though and the book was quite long, although well illustrated.

Since yoga and meditation and Indian spirituality are familiar around here, we didn't go there, but I can see that could be fun.

The reason I like the Mitchell version is because a) I am not reading it for scholarly or academic reasons b) I can access the spiritual message of the story well through Mitchell's version. It touches my heart and helps me realise why it is so cherished by Hindus. c) It is an easy read deliberately, but I do not feel it is dumbed down- it just speaks for the essence.

However, I am no scholar, nor am I Hindu. I rarely reread books but this one I have already- this is my 3rd time- because it is so beautiful.

That's interesting about the version I have looking like something that could be sold in India to kids. I've never been to India. Now I'm wondering what translation they had us read in college.

Actually, I don't remember the movie that well, but I seem to recall it didn't really reflect the Gita that well because they changed so much from the original source - but the book is a light take on it that does sort of work.

I just dragged out my old SLE copy of the Bhagavad-Gita and it was NOT the Mitchell version. But I think I was supposed to by that version and didn't because the version I bought (from Barnes and Noble), was cheaper. LOL!

I think the part I'm missing in my discussion with my six year old, is the part about acting without wanting the results of your action. I'm not exactly sure how to explain that. Any ideas?

For a follow up movie, we are going to watch the 1995 version of "Little Princess", because it has clips from the Ramayana in it. Of course, this will be after we read the kiddie version of the Ramayana.

I think the part I'm missing in my discussion with my six year old, is the part about acting without wanting the results of your action. I'm not exactly sure how to explain that. Any ideas?

It's an interesting concept, isn't it? We in the West tend to be very fixated on results, and getting a result is the motivation for just about everything we do. Dh calls it end-gaming. The idea of acting and just being present to one's actions and doing what needs to be done, without focusing on the (future) result, is a little foreign to us I think, but its a more rewarding way to live.

I think you could relate it to volunteer work. Working, giving, serving, without hope of a reward- just because its the right thing to do. (Not even the reward of going to heaven). It is about being selfless, learning not to be selfish. Putting oneself aside for the greater good.

To me it also means being very present in what I do rather than just doing something because of the result. Such as housework. Just doing it, being present to it, rather than rushing through it for the result. Its a nicer way to live anyway and the most mundane tasks can become beautiful in one is paying attention.

It's an interesting concept, isn't it? We in the West tend to be very fixated on results, and getting a result is the motivation for just about everything we do. Dh calls it end-gaming. The idea of acting and just being present to one's actions and doing what needs to be done, without focusing on the (future) result, is a little foreign to us I think, but its a more rewarding way to live.

I think you could relate it to volunteer work. Working, giving, serving, without hope of a reward- just because its the right thing to do. (Not even the reward of going to heaven). It is about being selfless, learning not to be selfish. Putting oneself aside for the greater good.

To me it also means being very present in what I do rather than just doing something because of the result. Such as housework. Just doing it, being present to it, rather than rushing through it for the result. Its a nicer way to live anyway and the most mundane tasks can become beautiful in one is paying attention.

You've given me a lot to ponder. Thank you for the thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...