Menu

Camping in the Western NC area

So, let me start by saying that I am not a camping kind of girl. But my kids really really really want to go camping in the mountains. So I am going to suck it up and take these babies camping. :D

We live in Western NC, and would like to go somewhere within a couple of hours or so. I would like to go somewhere that at least has a bathroom nearby, but that seems primitive. Does that make sense? We want to go hiking, fishing, and exploring.

Any ideas? Thanks!

how far in Western NC are you??? If you don't mind the drive....go to Cades Cove in TN. We LOVED camping there.

Bent Creek is near Asheville.....has Lake Powahtan and hiking trails....but not too remote to town ;)

But the one we have gone to the most since I was a kid and now an adult is Deep Creek in Bryson City. You can go tubing down the river or hiking. Nantahala is nearby for rafting. And there are several of the companies there in Nantahala with zip lines now!!!

Have fun :-)

Bent Creek is near Asheville.....has Lake Powahtan and hiking trails....but not too remote to town ;)

:iagree:And you can walk through the woods and use the bathroom at my house. :lol:

North Mills River has some great primitive sites and bathrooms in the main camping area.

:iagree:And you can walk through the woods and use the bathroom at my house. :lol:

North Mills River has some great primitive sites and bathrooms in the main camping area.

That is funny! I didn't realize you lived so close to me!

Thanks for all the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

how far in Western NC are you??? If you don't mind the drive....go to Cades Cove in TN. We LOVED camping there.

But the one we have gone to the most since I was a kid and now an adult is Deep Creek in Bryson City. You can go tubing down the river or hiking. Nantahala is nearby for rafting. And there are several of the companies there in Nantahala with zip lines now!!!

Ditto Bryson! We live in Charlotte and went there last summer and went tubing. It was sooooo much fun. It's very tame and we all had our own tube of course. Sheryl <><

We are just over the mountain from Cades Cove. We have been out there before to sight see, and it is beautiful! Great idea.

We camped at Bent Creek when I was little. I had forgotten about that place.

Standing Indian Campground. Great hiking in the area.

Standing Indian is not far from Franklin if you want to do some "gem mining". (The buckets of mud are seeded but this is still fun with younger kids.)

:iagree: I second this place!

Slight hijack: Jane, I grew up going to this campground. We would go for the 4th of July every summer. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories! :D

A little tidbit about Standing Indian campground: My best friend's co-worker went there last weekend. A bear walked around the campground both nights they were there, and one of those nights it shook their camper. :willy_nilly::svengo::blink::eek::leaving:

Also, I don't know any campgrounds, though I'm sure there are many, but the Pisgah National Forest is awesome. There is a loop you can follow that has waterfalls, (Looking Glass Falls), a fish hatchery, The Cradle of Forestry Center, Sliding Rock, and several other sights. They are all free, or very inexpensive!

The Pisgah Inn is nearby and even if you don't stay there, you should eat there. They have great food and an amazing view. It is casual and children are welcome.

A little tidbit about Standing Indian campground: My best friend's co-worker went there last weekend. A bear walked around the campground both nights they were there, and one of those nights it shook their camper. :willy_nilly::svengo::blink::eek::leaving:

I have heard tales of bears coming around the campground but we have only seen scat on some of the trails.

Also, I don't know any campgrounds, though I'm sure there are many, but the Pisgah National Forest is awesome. There is a loop you can follow that has waterfalls, (Looking Glass Falls), a fish hatchery, The Cradle of Forestry Center, Sliding Rock, and several other sights. They are all free, or very inexpensive!

The Pisgah Inn is nearby and even if you don't stay there, you should eat there. They have great food and an amazing view. It is casual and children are welcome.

Is that bakery still open in Brevard? Yum!

The Cradle of Forestry is quite interesting. Ah...the heat is on here in Eastern NC. A visit to the mountains sounds lovely. Sigh...

Great Smoky Mountains, TN side! We camped at Cosby Campground ---- this campground is a bit further away from Gatlinburg and the hussel-and-bussel of that area. Lots and lots of great hiking in the Smokies. I suggest picking up a trail guide book such as a Falcon Guide (our favorite) to help guide you to trails that are just right for your family.

Carole

You can camp anywhere on the trails of the Pisgah National Forest. If you are looking for something rustic like Pisgah with a bathroom, you could always camp near the visitor's center:001_huh:. They have bathrooms.

How about a campgroung in Cherokee? We stayed at the KOA in Cherokee last year. It was driving distance to a waterfall you could "hike" to and they had vans that would take you up the river to go tubing. Lots of thing to visit and see and nice bath facilities!