Menu

My keyboard letters are starting to wear away

I have no letter on the keys for K, L, M, N, E and B. I touch-type so it isn't so bad but I'm afraid that if too many other ones go that I might get confused. Also - dd8 is going to start learning to type on this thing so I want some written letters on them. I'm too cheap to buy a new keyboard when this one works just fine. What would you suggest I use to write the letters on the keys?

Quick fix? White-out, if you have a neat hand.

I don't, so what I did was to print out a page from Word that contained each letter at a larger font-size (with some space around each, to ease with cutting). Then I removed each key and taped the paper-letter to it. I did the larger font to help my kids with their typing, too, sort of like the large-print books at the library :D

Sharpie would work if your outline is in black.

I have a Dell Complete Care warranty and was very surprised that it covered the key board letters. LOL I had the repairman here to fix my laptop and he replaced my keyboard (One letter was faded) and power cord for free too.

Any chance you have a warranty too? :001_smile:

I have no letter on the keys for K, L, M, N, E and B. I touch-type so it isn't so bad but I'm afraid that if too many other ones go that I might get confused. Also - dd8 is going to start learning to type on this thing so I want some written letters on them. I'm too cheap to buy a new keyboard when this one works just fine. What would you suggest I use to write the letters on the keys?

Sharpie. Silver if you have a black keyboard, black if you have a white or beige keyboard.

Sharpie. Silver if you have a black keyboard, black if you have a white or beige keyboard.

:iagree:

Fwiw, this is the norm for my keyboards. My kids used to ask me to use silver sharpie on the old family computer. My laptop is less than a year old, and I can see the wear on my keys, even below some of the letters where I can see that I hit them. It's not a problem with the computer, it just gets a lot of use!

Ds is using Typing Instructor for Kids. I noticed him looking at his fingers some, so we ended up using paint for models and painting over the keys, so he's got a blank keyboard :D

Most keyboards have f and j with a bump on them so you know where to place fingers initially.

If you use a sharpie, be aware that it may still rub off. Initially we tried a sharpie on the keys, but the home keys started to wear off and you could see the letters through it. I might go with paint pens in the hope that it would be more permanent.

(Or you could look at it as a boon for learning to touch type really well and clear off all the letters!)

Is it a desktop or laptop keyboard? Is it USB or PS2 connection?

DH can probably get you a new desktop keyboard for free, and then we'd have an excuse to finally get together and meet.

It is a Microsoft "natural" keyboard - desktop PS2 (it uses a USB adapter to attach to my laptop). It is one of those where the keys are sloped differently for the right and left hands.

I'd love to get together. I don't even require a keyboard to do it!

When I learned to type, all of the keys were blacked out. I used to type 120wpm! Now I'm more around 90 - 100wpm, and I never ever look at my fingers when I type.

The F and the J keys have little ridges on them so you can be sure that your fingers are in the correct position without looking at the keys and you can then just take it from there!