Menu

7th -12th graders needing to learn diagramming....what to do?

I have 5 children that need to learn diagramming and have zero experience with it. Where do you suggest we start? Their ages are: 12yog, 12 yob, 14yog, 16yog, 17yob.

I was thinking of Rod and staff. Maybe one grade level that could be used with all of them.?.?.. They really have had very little grammar and absolutely no diagramming up to this point. Actually, my 17yob went through most of Grammar Keys on the computer and did okay with it. My 16yog and 14yog have done Easy Grammar 5 and that's about it. My two youngest have basic grammar knowledge.

Thanks,

Tracy

I've not seen Analytical Grammar, but from what I understand you would start with grade 5 or 6 in R&S. I've looked at the grade 5 book and it seems to start right from scratch. Maybe your olders could pick up the grade 6 easily.

I haven't used it, but am planning to start this summer. Of course, now I have to go check out Analytical Grammar and may change my mind. Again. :)

I too would say Rod & Staff Grammar, probably Level 5. I have a friend you did this with 3 of her olders, 9th grade, 7 grade and 5th all together - worked well and gave them all a foundation. JMTC, but do any of us use diagramming in real life ? If any of your children are bent in the direction of literary, fine arts, english majors than yes go more in depth. If they understand the parts of speech and can write well - some have a knack for it more than others, more of us need reminding that a sentence needs to have a subject and a predicate together 8). We've used R&S 5th-9th with all of mine ( kinesthetic to audio to visual) learners and they've all grasped the idea without difficulty using the R&S materials - and they're not expensive. HTH emily

I began using R&S with my middle son last year, and I love it. He has learned so much about the parts of speech and diagramming. I plan to use the 5th or 6th grade book with my oldest next year (in his junior year) in conjunction with an SAT prep course. He struggled through diagramming in middle school, because I started him at grade-level in 7th grade. He didn't have the foundation he needed to succeed. So, we will do a crash course in grammar basics/diagramming with R&S.

R&S and AG are both excellent programs. Their teaching approaches are very different. R&S teaches concepts by grade level, so the diagramming is taught sequentially throughout the program. I think R&S 8 might cover most all diagramming, but I'm not sure. So much of their program is an assumption that you've used previous levels although they do provide good review of previous concepts. Because of this, IMHO, I think your dc might benefit more from the efficient teaching process of AG. Season 1 introduces how to diagram all the parts of speech in 10 weeks. Season 2 then reinforces that by teaching how to identify and diagram all the verbals and clauses in 12 weeks. It is a consumable program so each dc would need their own workbook. If you're trying to teach diagramming quickly then I wouldn't burden them with copying sentences from a workbook. Plus the workbook becomes a grammar handbook for college.

The only other program that came to mind that my dd and I really liked for teaching diagramming for the parts of speech is Step-by-Step Grammar Vol 1 by Summer Book Company. What a gem of a program. It is a consummable workbook that is very independent and easy to implement. At the ages of your dc, they could probably finish in one semester. The only negative is that it doesn't cover verbals and clauses. That's where AG has an upper hand. It's also only about $10 per workbook through Rainbow Resource. I'll include links so you can check it out at both sites.

http://www.summerbookcompany.com/newsummerbook/english/stepbystepbasicgrammar.php

http://www.rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1274383351-1742430

HTH,

Jennifer

Edited by Jen the RD

Season 1 introduces how to diagram all the parts of speech in 10 weeks. Season 2 then reinforces that by teaching how to identify and diagram all the verbals and clauses in 12 weeks.

Season 1 (parts of speech) is 10 weeks

Season 2 (phrases & clauses) is 7 weeks

Season 3 (punctuation, capitalization, usage) is 17 weeks

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I recently heard SWB speak on writing at a convention and she recommended a book specifically on diagramming. I think it is called - "The First Whole Book of Diagrams".

I'm not completely sure of the title but you should be able to find it on the notes she puts on her website of talks she gives.

mommyof3,

You mentioned it was a lifesaver for your 12 year old. My understanding of this book was that it is more of a reader. That there aren't actually exercises for the student to work through. Did you buy the workbook that goes with it? Does the workbook only take them about halfway through diagramming? Meaning The First Whole Book goes further than what the workbook does. Does that make sense?

Thank you so much!

Tracy