Menu

Enjoyable Music Theory and Musician Study for upcoming 3rd grader?

Halcyon

Hi! We're looking for an enjoyable music theory curriculum for my upcoming 3rd grader. We've tried k12.com and didn't enjoy it. I'd love for him to learn the basics of reading music, and become familiar with the works of various composers. I'd also like to do some Composer Study with him: the lives of the greats, so to speak.

I need something a bit more formal than what we've been doing, which has been listening to music and reading a bit.

Ideas?

If you have a piano or keyboard, then Keyboard Capers by Rebecca Doyle Stout (ISBN: 9780898260519; it's sold by Rainbow Resource) is very good. You will have to either make the games using photocopies of the book or buy the optional (and expensive) Manipulatives Kit.

There's also Progressive Theory for Young Beginners (ISBN: 9781864691436). It comes with a CD and probably should also be used with a keyboard.

The Young Person's Guide to Music History by Carolyn Jones Campbell is meant to be used either in a classroom setting or in private piano lessons as a supplement; however, it is pretty easy for a parent with basic music knowledge to use (you will have to get some music CDs to go along with the program; usally you find those CDs in the library). It is a three book set; each book is $4.50.

Classical Kids CDs are wonderful! I'm pretty sure there are also some teacher guides available for them. Yes! My ds and I absolutely loved these CDs.

There is a great software program called Music Ace that your dd would probably love. It teaches music theory.

Wendi

Edited by Wendi
Forgot to mention something!

The Complete Music Reading Activities Kit, which uses either a mallet percussion instrument (about $20) or a keyboard/piano is good for this age for theory. So is beginning recorder study. In general, learning to read music on an instrument is easier than learning to read it off an instrument.

I like Music Ace as a supplement once a child has the basics, but I wouldn't count on it to teach theory. While some kids learn well on the computer and can carry it over quite easily, others learn to play the computer game, but never quite grasp the concepts. If you have a MIDI keyboard hooked to the computer, it helps a lot with this, and leads to better transfer of skills.

Oops! Ready to Use music reading activities kit

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0137561644/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274737347&sr=8-2

For a basic mallet percussion instrument, I like this one, but suggest buying a set of rubber headed resonator bar mallets. The ones which come with it are a little "floppy" for my taste, and the rubber headed mallets are softer both in timbre and volume.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lyons-25-Note-GG-Bell-Set-with-Case?sku=470063

I like Do it! Play Recorder because it incorporates a lot of musical styles and aural skills from the beginning. With a good recorder, it's still only about $10

http://www.westmusic.com/advancedsearchresults.aspx?search=Do+it+play+recorder&searchBtn.x=0&searchBtn.y=0&SearchType=1

For beginning recorder study can you recommend a program? Thanks.

ABeka has a program with two levels, starting with grades 3-4, then grades 4-5. It's music theory plus recorder. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw in the book. Have not used it, though (one of those many things I did not get to, sadly). Anyway, I would recommend taking a look at that.

All the best to you in your search! Hope you find just the right thing!

• 2 months later...

here is a thread on the High School board on this topic. In post 5 I recommended Alfred's. All my kids are doing it, enjoying it, and learning from it. My 7yo has completed Level 1 (of 3 levels) and tells me she wants to just keep practicing/reviewing lessons in that level instead of moving on for now. I think that's a decent idea, so that's what she's doing.

My 11 yo & 13 yo are working well through the higher levels, but they are both longtime musicians with a lot of training, so the theory is just formalizing what they are already largely exposed to. . . I think for most elementary kids Level 1 would be sufficient.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201983

Classical Kids are awesome CDs! I have most of them and should pull them back out as we haven't listened much for a few years. If you get them, and then check out longer recordings of each artist from the library (or your collection), then you can have a really awsome composer study. Add in Mike Venezia biography for each composer and you have a REALLY awesome and thorough and enjoyable study!

HTH