Menu

BRAT diet.... Any other ideas for similar foods?

My kids are in their third week of diarrhea/vomiting/stomach cramps, though it's beeon and off. I was thinking it was either the cheese my inlaws brought from France that their systems just weren't used to or their trip to the fast food place with a climbing structure (undoubtedly covered with germs.)

Finally took one of the boys in because of severe stomach cramps this morning. We're going to do a stool sample to see if they can pinpoint the problem. Until then, the ped suggested staying on a BRAT diet until we're sure they're over this. (Foolishly, I'd been doing the BRAT diet, but then letting them eat "real" food when they seemed better and were hungry. That probably explains the on & off episodes.)

Anyhow, any other ideas for what they can eat on this diet besides:

bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea, yogurt

I assume they can also eat plain pasta noodles, bagels. Maybe the white meat from roasted chicken?? Ramen soup? No fatty/greasy/spicy foods. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any ideas!

yvonne

when our dog had this, the vets had us use baby food meat (as plain as you can get) or absolutely fat-free chicken (no skin or fat - palin roast or boiled white meat) and rice and canned pumpkin!!!!! So I do not see why canned pumpkin might not also work for people - mammals with a belly ache are mammals with a belly ache. right?

Hope they feel better soon. This can't be fun!

Less vomitting (thank God) than nausea and diarrhea.

I am having the same struggle with food selections. A couple to add to the list---

My kids snack on pretzels throughout the day. For some reason it is really bad for their tummies to get empty. It's almost like they all have morning sickness. :glare: That's my job, thank you very much.

Alphabet vegetable soup has also been successful.

I hope it clears out quickly.

Jo

Guest Virginia Dawn
My kids are in their third week of diarrhea/vomiting/stomach cramps, though it's beeon and off. I was thinking it was either the cheese my inlaws brought from France that their systems just weren't used to or their trip to the fast food place with a climbing structure (undoubtedly covered with germs.)

Finally took one of the boys in because of severe stomach cramps this morning. We're going to do a stool sample to see if they can pinpoint the problem. Until then, the ped suggested staying on a BRAT diet until we're sure they're over this. (Foolishly, I'd been doing the BRAT diet, but then letting them eat "real" food when they seemed better and were hungry. That probably explains the on & off episodes.)

Anyhow, any other ideas for what they can eat on this diet besides:

bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea, yogurt

I assume they can also eat plain pasta noodles, bagels. Maybe the white meat from roasted chicken?? Ramen soup? No fatty/greasy/spicy foods. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any ideas!

yvonne

My daughter had a similar problem when she was 3. Besides the brat diet and the other suggestions you've recieved, broth made from boullion with pastini added, baked or boiled skinless chicken or turkey, cream of wheat or cream of rice cereal, canned veggies, and canned fruits. These are all considered easily digestible.

I had to completely eliminate dairy from her diet for a whole month before she was back to normal. I also permanently stopped giving her things like hot dogs and Koolaid. (She was my first child, what can I say?)

My kids will be so glad to have some different foods to eat.

I bet there's something to the connection between an empty stomach and the nausea. I'll have to try letting them snack on pretzels and saltines and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips! Any other ideas, please post!

Three weeks is a really long time. Have you ever heard of probiotics or Kombucha?

A very strong dose of probiotics as much as a whole bottle in 24-48 hours can usually clear any vomiting/diarrhea. Primal Defense is expensive but it is considered one of the best. Kyo-dophilus is the brand I have on hand for emergencies and I take or give four capsules. My preference would be to give Kombucha which is probiotic drink. GT is the brand you can find. Do you have a Whole Foods or Health Food Store near you?

The next thing I give is plain coconut water, also found in Whole Foods next to the Kombucha in my store. I use coconut water to rehydrate and the combination in lieu of Pedialyte.

I would next try homemade chicken broth, made simply from chicken bones with or without meat, water, a few veggies like carrots, celery, onion and a couple of chicken feet if you have them :D.

Garlic is a good antiviral, you just have to get it into them. I add garlic, fresh lemon juice and coconut milk to the chicken broth to make a very healthy soup. Coconut oil and milk can be cleansing so I would work on stopping the diarrhea first.

The other thing I would try is a homeopathic remedy. It's best if you call a classical homeopath to get specific information on the best remedy to take. Here is a list of classical homeopaths: http://www.homeopathy-cures.com/search.html

I called mine for the first time two years ago due to two bouts of 10 day diarrhea and I am still calling her for her expertise in healing us then and now. We have eliminated all OTC and prescription allergy and asthma meds. At that time, February 2006, based on our symptoms, Arsenicum was the remedy of choice following Dr. Luc's protocol on how to take acute remedies.

General articles here: http://www.drluc.com/general-articles.htm

Specific protocol here:

http://www.drluc.com/lecture-three.html

Treatment for Acute diseases

The potency choice for acute diseases (less than 3-4 months old) is simple: use at least a potency from 30C upwards to 200C and 1,000C. Always use the watery method by putting two pellets of your chosen remedy and potency in an 8 oz bottle (Remedy Solution Bottle or RSB), stir well and take one tsp directly from the RSB. Do not repeat earlier than two hours after first dose. When you see a similar aggravation in the first hour (in other words an aggravation of your symptoms during the first hour) this first dose will cure and no further dose will be needed (A157-A158). If symptoms are not entirely gone after two hours, you can repeat the same procedure every two hours after succussing each successive dose (hitting RSB against your palm) 8 times.

Note: We are talking here about the 1001 acute daily diseases that can occur from colds, to lower back pains, to ear infections, etc. We are not talking here about URGENT medical care (requires ER visit) like suicidal tendencies, coma, head trauma with bleeding, seizures, heart attack, etc.

Here is a very interesting article on digestion entitled,

"The Long Hollow Tube: A Primer on the Digestive System"

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/digestion_primer.html

Thank you for the links, girligirlmom. I'm going to make some broth from the bones of roast chicken tomorrow and add a little white meat, some carrots, and Ramen noodles without the seasoning. (No chicken feet on hand at the moment, though! :) )

Well, I'd add jello to that list, but remove yogurt until they are feeling much better. I agree about adding in white meat chicken. I remember a few years ago my dc went through something similiar. I kept waiting for them to get better before allowing them off the brat diet. Turns out, as soon as I started them back on "real" food, they got better right away.

Hope everyone is better soon!