Menu

Is Math U See enough?

simka2

One more question. We are flying thru our Math U See curriculum! Part of this was intentional, because I knew it used a mastery approach so I kept them at their present level instead of moving on to what "could" be considered their grade level.

For those who have used it for awhile....do you find that it is enough math? Or do you supplement with other programs...and if so what?

Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

What book are you in? I've used it from Alpha through Algebra 1 and will be using it through high school. I don't believe there is any debate over whether the elementary is enough but do know that some think it's not rigorous enough in high school.

I am adding LOF to the upper MUS levels for review (keeping LOF around a semester behind MUS so everything is introduced in MUS) and real life application. Do I think it's absolutely necessary? No. Do I think it will be beneficial to my students? Yes. If I could only use one math curriculum it would be MUS because of the way Dr Demme teaches conceptually (I've never seen it's equal). Am I glad I don't have to choose just one? Yes:D

I am adding Mammoth Math to MUS in the lower levels for my 6 yo dd because she LOVES doing worksheets and will burn through all the ones supplied with MUS before she has mastered a concept (she'd do all 6 in one sitting if I let her). I have no idea if I will do this with my younger 2 children, it will depend on if they burn through worksheets like she does. Since I have them I'll probably teach them the MM way in addition to the MUS way just for another perspective but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to supplement the elementary levels and if I could only use one math curriculum it would be MUS. LOF is going to be coming out with elementary levels and I will buy them to use with MUS because I love they way LOF applies math to real life.

I hope that helps. If it makes any difference we also used Horizons for 4 years and Saxon for 3/4 year.

ETA that I only recently added LOF and so far it's been very successful but didn't want you to think I've been doing that for years.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Were in the Beta and Gamma levels, so still early on. I might have to look into MM.

Thanks!

You're welcome:001_smile: The Blue Series goes very well with MUS because it's organized by topics. Right now they are having a 20% off sale until June 1st.

You're welcome:001_smile: The Blue Series goes very well with MUS because it's organized by topics. Right now they are having a 20% off sale until June 1st.

Use the sale code MMSALE2010 at the checkout, it's good on downloads & CDs (the printed books are not on sale).

Jackie

I have 3 boys in high school and my answer is "maybe." For my kiddos it was, but their dad is an accountant and may have some inherited some math ability. What I have liked about MUS is that there aren't unnecessary worksheets that drag out the lesson and make it a drudge. I think that has helped all my kiddos (including my 10yo daughter) really like math.

As a bit of a testimony to MUS: Because of all of the talk on the WTM boards I was concerned that my oldest son would be prepared for starting dual-enrollment at the CC this year. I switched to Chalkdust Pre-Calculus last year, mainly because I wanted to make sure my son could, and had a chance to, learn from a textbook before heading to the community college, especially since he is interested in Electrical Engineering. He was very well-prepared for cc classes. He is currently in Calculus II and Chemistry III (will be starting Physics rotations next Fall) and is hoping to begin tutoring at the college next Fall. We just got his ACT scores back and he got a 31 on the math portion which is a good score for a junior. Also, he got accepted to participate in the UW School of Engineering's Math Academy this summer for 4 weeks.

The only other things I have done to supplement MUS over the years are:

* In the elementary school each child also did a Calculadder daily. This was great in cementing the math facts in their brains. My 10yog can do multiplication facts better than my PS niece we homeschooled for 2 yrs. and she was in 8th grade! They started when they could add simple numbers and continued until they were through with all the Calculadder levels.

* MUS Geometry is light on proofs, so we supplemented with a proofs book.

* In levels prior to Geometry my kiddos usually did 2 pages /day to make it a bit longer, and more like a "regular" math lesson. The would usually still finish in 30-45 min., but they generally worked pretty quickly. As long as it was under 1 hr. ad wasn't a concept they were struggling with, I would have them do 2 pgs. This did accelerated their progress, but they "got it" as they went along so it was not a problem.

So, I think if your child "gets" the lesson before he moves on and no other problems are needed, then MUS is a good fit for your child. BTW, there are extra practice problems in the high school levels. If, after watching the video, my 9th grader feels he wants to do some practice problems first, he does them.

HTH,

Kimm

Edited by Kimm in WA

One more question. We are flying thru our Math U See curriculum! Part of this was intentional, because I knew it used a mastery approach so I kept them at their present level instead of moving on to what "could" be considered their grade level.

For those who have used it for awhile....do you find that it is enough math? Or do you supplement with other programs...and if so what?

Thanks!

We started MUS with Alpha, in 1st grade. We've gone rather quickly through it, too. He loves math, and completes all pages in the workbook. We don't do the tests unless he specifically requests more pages to do.

This year we're in 3rd grade and will finish up with Epsilon. We are not committed to an entire academic career of homeschooling, so I didn't want to accelerate him TOO quickly into the higher, more abstract maths (algebra, etc.) My goal was to keep him relatively on par with the accelerated track of our local public and private schools.

A few months ago I began to limit him to just one MUS lesson per week. He had been doing 2 a week (3 pages each day with one day off). Now our week looks like this:

Day 1 = Singapore Math CWP (Level 3, the out-of-print version)

Days 2, 3, and 4 = 2 pages of MUS each day

Day 5 = logic problems and puzzles

Last month we started his younger sister in Primer, and he LOVES to help her with that. That has sort of filled his void for doing more math. For some reason he really enjoys this subject. Me, it's always been the bane of my existence LOL.

I am adding LOF to the upper MUS levels for review (keeping LOF around a semester behind MUS so everything is introduced in MUS) and real life application. Do I think it's absolutely necessary? No. Do I think it will be beneficial to my students? Yes. If I could only use one math curriculum it would be MUS because of the way Dr Demme teaches conceptually (I've never seen it's equal). Am I glad I don't have to choose just one? Yes:D

I am adding Mammoth Math to MUS in the lower levels for my 6 yo dd because she LOVES doing worksheets and will burn through all the ones supplied with MUS before she has mastered a concept (she'd do all 6 in one sitting if I let her).

LOF is going to be coming out with elementary levels and I will buy them to use with MUS because I love they way LOF applies math to real life.

This is exactly my plan....we are using LOF Algebra and MM 4th grade Light Blue, but I plan on doing the MUS levels a little ahead of schedule to cement the process first. My oldest sometimes gets a little flustered with Fred if he moves to quickly...sometimes it's hard to back up to just the right place for the explanation.

I like the idea of mastery first, then application.

I'm using MUS almost exclusively. This year, I added in Math Olympiad Contest Problems that we do and discuss together. On a good week, we do 5 contest problems; many weeks we do none.

DS8 is a math-loving child. He's finishing prealgebra this year, and totally gets everything without a problem which is confirmed by standardized testing. Next year, I plan on using MUS Algebra and then Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Algebra. Problem solving is a weakness in MUS and my son which is why I'm adding in AoPS. Depending on how he does, we'll either continue with both programs or switch exclusively to AoPS for him.

DD10 hates math. We started with Saxon through 2nd grade. It was a nightmare. She tolerates math now with MUS. She's having no problems learning math and tears are now rare. I'll probably stick with using MUS exclusively with her through Calculus because I don't expect her to choose a math related field to study post high school.

I was just asking some vetern homeschool moms who use MUS the same questions. We will be doing Gamma next year also. They all recommeded these areas-money, telling time (either lots of practice with MUS way or some workbook, word problems, geometry and if I wanted to add in stuff like measuring and weights, and geo boards.

Ds11 is mostly through Epsilon (fractions) and we use Life of Fred and Rightstart games as supplement.

Dd9 just finished Gamma (multiplication) and we supplement with Strayer-Upton and Rightstart games plus times tables review.

I think they are excellent for teaching the specific skill set they are geared for but there is a need to round out with those things like a pp stated (telling time, etc..).

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Interesting info. I just bought Alpha for my almost-five year old at the home school expo yesterday and i know we'll need more worksheets... not because it will take her longer to master the stuff but because she loves doing worksheets for fun.

That is my dd! She would do all 6 worksheets in one day if I let her. Her brother's were NOT like that;):lol: That's why I bought Mammoth Math to use with her in addition to MUS. As Life of Fred comes out with younger books we'll be using those, but suspect she'll also want the MM for the worksheets.