Menu

Minimus or Song School Latin for 3rd grade boy

m0mmaBuck

I'm using SSL with my soon to be 8yo. No spelling or grammar required. He enjoys the songs and will ask to listen to them in the car. He has learned some latin words and can read them. He thinks Latin is fun so SSL has been a nice easy introduction.

HTH

My 2nd grade son loves Minimus. The story is fun and there is not a lot of writing (his main struggle) although there is some. Using Minimus may help your son understand English Grammar better. I don't think his struggles with spelling will be a hinderance. I've never used Song School Latin.

I used SSL when my twin boys were 3rd graders. It's fairly simple and low writing, spelling, and grammar. I recently read on this board of someone who used Minimus and SSL together. SSL is very light and easy that for a 3rd grader you could add more to it. That might make the next year a bit easier on your ds if he's had a stronger foundation. BTW, I've never seen Minimus so I don't exactly what it entails.

I think it's funny that one person likes SSL, one likes Minimus, and one suggests doing both. :lol:

I have read that with SSL you just need the student book with CD. What do I need for Minimum? Student, CD and TG or just the Student book?

I had DS listen to the SSL sample. Well, I tried to have him listen, it did not entice him at all. I have Minimus and Getting Started with Latin for next year. Minimus looks ... thin to me. Have you thought about just doing a regular children's Latin (LFC, Prima Latina, Lively Latin) and going slower if needed?

Check out Mater Anserina, it has nursery rhymes and jingles translated to Latin and a nicely done CD. I plan to have DS (and I) memorize some of them.

Now that I've muddied the waters ... :D

I have read that with SSL you just need the student book with CD. What do I need for Minimum? Student, CD and TG or just the Student book?

We love Minimus here. I think if you're on a budget, you can just go with the student book and it'll be a complete program. The student book is not big or particularly pricey. But... I love the information and extra activities that the teacher's guide gives and my daughter loves the CD. \ The CD just has the same Latin that is in the student books, so you don't *need* it. And to be fair, I think the teacher's guide is overpriced, but it looks like the resale prices are similar to new prices - so I'm planning to sell mine after we finish.

We love Minimus here. I think if you're on a budget, you can just go with the student book and it'll be a complete program. The student book is not big or particularly pricey. But... I love the information and extra activities that the teacher's guide gives and my daughter loves the CD. \ The CD just has the same Latin that is in the student books, so you don't *need* it. And to be fair, I think the teacher's guide is overpriced, but it looks like the resale prices are similar to new prices - so I'm planning to sell mine after we finish.

I agree with Momling that you can skip the cd. If you know some Latin you can skip the TM which is insanely priced, but I suggest getting the TM if at all possible. I know some Latin and tried to make a go of it without the TM and as often happens when a subject depends on me to do some extra bit of work, in this case translate, it didn't get done as often as it should. :tongue_smilie: The TM has the translations, answers to questions in the text, worksheets so the student can practice the concept, suggested activities, and crafty kind of stuff.

I have Minimus and Getting Started with Latin for next year. Minimus looks ... thin to me. Have you thought about just doing a regular children's Latin (LFC, Prima Latina, Lively Latin) and going slower if needed?

I did Minimus with another Latin curriculum and I think it worked well. My son gained understanding about the bigger picture in Latin more quickly by learning more of the grammar using a parts to whole program like LC and Minimus made Latin fun with the addition of a cute, colorful story that he could read in Latin because Minimus is whole to parts.

Leigh Lowe from Memoria Press wrote an article about What to Look for in a Latin Program that may be helpful to read. Obviously I haven't taken her advice, but it may be helpful for someone here.

It's hard for me to imagine doing SSL with 3rd graders. It's cute for K-1, maybe 2, but 3rd? Minimus takes more work on the teacher's part to do well, but kids will also learn a lot more, and it's more appropriate to the age range.

We did SSL this year with my 2nd grader who has fine motor and spelling issues and overall it was a success. I got Minimus for the summer - it looks fun and will keep Latin in our minds. I plan to start him on LfC A when we officially start school for next year.

Alot depends on the maturity/age of your upcoming 3rd grader. If he like silly songs it might work. The good news is that it doesn't cost much to try it out. Just get the student book that comes with the cd.

GL!