Menu

Is there a full service Christian High school either online or correspondence...

that is similar to Keystone or American School?? Is there one that is (can I even ask?) Affordable??

I would love my ds to be able to use a school like this, but I do not want secular materials. I would like thorough math, science and English in particular..i can fill in the blanks elsewhere.

Just doing some research and weighing our options for yet another guy coming through our homeschool.....

Thanks,

Faithe

Northstar Academy

We took Latin I, and French I last year, and are completing Latin 2, French 2, and Expository Writing this year. I can highly recommend the language courses, but sadly neither instructor will be with NSA next year.

Expository Writing is adequate, and I am glad to have some outside feedback on dd's writing, but the content is a little easy for a student who is accustomed to taking a Great Books/Classical approach to home learning.

NSA's full service may be more than you are desiring to pay; many of their course curricula are for sale without the teacher component under their Northstar Homeschool program.

Oh yes, I have heard good feedback about The Potter's School. Their courses are synchronous, which didn't appeal to us at this time, but their courses look great- huge selection!

Kolbe Academy and Regina Coeli look academically rigorous but I am not sure about accredidation. Some private institutions prefer to avoid secular accredidation. Laurel Springs may also interest you.

Overwhelming, isn't it?:willy_nilly:

Cindy

You may also wish to look into the services provided by Hewitt Homeschooling. They offer the Lightning Lit courses that are so often mentioned on this board. It is a Christian company though some of their courses are happily used by secular homeschoolers as well.

Regards,

Kareni

Christian Liberty Academy School System (CLASS). It isn't accredited, but it is full service, and has a pretty good rep.

BJUP's Academy of Home Education is also not accredited.

ABeka Academy is accredited.

I would rather go with CLASS than with the Academy of Home Education or ABeka Academy because it uses a variety of publishers, and it is very reasonably priced.

Christian Liberty Academy School System (CLASS). It isn't accredited, but it is full service, and has a pretty good rep.

BJUP's Academy of Home Education is also not accredited.

ABeka Academy is accredited.

I would rather go with CLASS than with the Academy of Home Education or ABeka Academy because it uses a variety of publishers, and it is very reasonably priced.

How important is it that a high school is accredited? Will some colleges not accept the diplomas of non-accredited high schools? (For that matter-- most homeschooling schools aren't accredited... Kids are usually accepted just fine based on their ACT/SAT scores.)

that is similar to Keystone or American School?? Is there one that is (can I even ask?) Affordable??

I would love my ds to be able to use a school like this, but I do not want secular materials. I would like thorough math, science and English in particular..i can fill in the blanks elsewhere.

Just doing some research and weighing our options for yet another guy coming through our homeschool.....

Thanks,

Faithe

I've decided to piecemeal according to my ds's needs. The one size fits all....didn't fit...even though I really wanted it to....picture Cinderella's step-sisters....:D

So, I decided to us VP Academy for Geometry and Omnibus 3 Primary...I'll teach the secondary books....

I have Taditional Logic 1 & 2 on DVD...

Grammar and Comp will be IEW US History Based Lessons w/ a grammar w/b

We will continue Henle Latin at a snail's pace....

I'll add in lots of fun reads and videos.

I feel like a boulder has been lifted off my shoulders...I really needed to farm out math and use mare than a dvd or video...we need a real live person to help and I couldn't find a tutor....

As far as Omnibus, I could teach that, but I thought it would be more engaging for him to bounce ideas off of others learning the same books...instead of just me and his younger siblings.

I am also planning out our CLEPs, SAT2's etc for final exams...I like the idea of a finish line. I am planning on having him do CC courses starting at age 16. He is well prepared acaemically to start now...but I think maturity counts too...AND there is no rush...I'd rather an older than a younger start...

So, 9th grade is planned...

Now to plan the other kids..12th, 5th 1 and K here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~Faithe

Guest ladywhite

The North Atlantic Regional High School will grant an accredited high school diploma to your student once requirements are met for their school. My experience is that the high school requirements are not onerous and most can obtain the diploma with ease. The flexibility of the program is very appealing to me. I can use transcripts from schools and different programs and also develop self-designed courses that are of particular interest to my children which are then applied to the NARHS diploma requirements.

This school was started many years ago by a homeschool dad who wanted to get his boy into sports at the local high school. He made a school and it has, over the years, grown into a valuable service for homeschool families who want the flexibility of chosing particular courses but who also want the security of an accredited high school diploma. The cost is approximately $400 a year (though don't quote me as fees could have gone up) if you use both transcripts and self-designed coures. If you use only transcripts, then the cost is a one-time fee. The cost was around $500 for all four years if you don't use self-designed courses. If you incorporate self-designed courses the cost is approximately $500 per year.

I joined when they were offering 2 for the price of 1 so I apologize for not knowing specific prices. Three of my children have accredited high school diplomas from them and have been accepted without question at colleges.

Some will ask if this is a diploma mill? Absolutely not. You work with a counselor who oversees your curriculum choices and who looks at your student's work for self-designed courses. They give you guidelines on the self-designed courses so they meet their standards: time spent, evaluation, etc.

The web site: http://www.narhs.org

• 3 months later...
Guest sbishop

I'm searching for a strong accredited K-12 program. At the moment, we are looking at Seton and Laurel Spring School. This is our first time homeschooling for highschool and I'm finding the decision making grueling. If anyone can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sbishop

Liberty University Online Academy http://www.libertyonlineacademy.com/

Their full time enrollment is $2500 a year, with a 20% discount for additional children. They offer dual enrollment opportunities in 11th and 12th grade, and I believe if you graduate from the program, you receive a scholarship to Liberty University.

I think they use Switched On Schoolhouse (isn't that Alpha/Omega?) for grades 3-12

It's very affordable, comparatively... not sure it's "the best" though.

I've decided to piecemeal according to my ds's needs. The one size fits all....didn't fit...even though I really wanted it to....picture Cinderella's step-sisters....:D

So, I decided to us VP Academy for Geometry and Omnibus 3 Primary...I'll teach the secondary books....

I have Taditional Logic 1 & 2 on DVD...

Grammar and Comp will be IEW US History Based Lessons w/ a grammar w/b

We will continue Henle Latin at a snail's pace....

I'll add in lots of fun reads and videos.

I feel like a boulder has been lifted off my shoulders...I really needed to farm out math and use mare than a dvd or video...we need a real live person to help and I couldn't find a tutor....

As far as Omnibus, I could teach that, but I thought it would be more engaging for him to bounce ideas off of others learning the same books...instead of just me and his younger siblings.

I am also planning out our CLEPs, SAT2's etc for final exams...I like the idea of a finish line. I am planning on having him do CC courses starting at age 16. He is well prepared acaemically to start now...but I think maturity counts too...AND there is no rush...I'd rather an older than a younger start...

So, 9th grade is planned...

Now to plan the other kids..12th, 5th 1 and K here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~Faithe

Faithe, I have a 9th grade ds who is doing the Veritas online scholars Omnibus III too! We are actually doing 7 classes with them.

According to Cafi Cohen (haven't read the book for awhile) she liked the American School because it was very reasonable in cost and she could supplement with other programs. (its VERY bare bones and minimal) (out of Chicago) I think they have their own yahoo group. Of course, they would not be Christian but they are accredited and give a diploma and are more than 100 years old. I have found some of their books (included in the tuition)in the thrift store--they are B and W paperback but very meaty. I thought she said you could finish in 2 years. You really want to know that the school will be financially solvent for a while, otherwise they just go POOF and you're out of luck. (happened to a friend and almost happened to us, we were trying to do a background check on the school/treasurer (it was a new school) and they were very surprised. (some Great Books thing several years ago) I found out later there was a lot of embezzling going on by the person I spoke with. As this is for your kids, you need to do your due dilegence. Please don't be offended- I am just offering this in the spirit of BTDT. (HTH)

Regina Coeli Academy has classes in all the areas you are looking for. The logic and philosophy classes are phenomenal as are the Latin classes (which we would never finish if we did not have the deadlines and the teacher interaction.) The live classes, audio, text, and white board interfaces, the fantastically quick response of teachers, the interaction with students, and most importantly the deadlines, really help my kids. They just don't work for me alone as well as others. But they like me helping them with their classes.

My kids took classes for four years before I became a math and science teacher there.

We take all the classes because I have 7 kids and can't manage without it. As a teacher there I can answer any questions you have about it. but check out the website and the course offerings for both HS and Junior program. Registration ends Aug. 15, and late registration begins after that with higher fees. Just sharing what works for us, and if you need more info email me or call the admin. Wendy is very helpful!

God Bless and good luck,

sandy Harrison