Menu

Help...overbought tomatoes

I bought too many tomatoes at the farmer's market. I have 2.5 pounds all very ripe right now. What can I do with them? We can't eat them all tonight, and we're going out for Mother's Day.

I have cilantro and onion, but no peppers or lime. Other produce I have on hand is spinach, green leaf lettuce, celery, and cucumber.

Any suggestions?

You can freeze them to use in soups/sauces. You just have to blanch them in hot water, peel the skins off, and throw them in baggies or containers.

Or you could make up a huge batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze that in smaller portions.

Or you could make yummy BLT sandwiches, my favorite summer-time meal!

You could do this without the peppers, or prepare the tomotoes and freeze until later.

Fresh Tomato Marinara

2 tablespoons olive oil

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3 cups (about 3 large) peeled, and chopped tomatoes

1 can (6 oz.) no-salt-added tomato paste

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon dried oregano

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon fennel seed

Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tomatoes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes; stir occasionally. Cool 5 minutes.

Pour half of cooled tomato mixture into blender jar. Cover and blend at STIR about 15 seconds. Add remaining tomato mixture. Blend at PUREE about 20 to 30 seconds. Return mixture to saucepan. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Serve over pasta.

You can freeze them to use in soups/sauces. You just have to blanch them in hot water, peel the skins off, and throw them in baggies or containers.

Wash, cut out the stem, squeeze gently so the seeds plop out, and freeze. To thaw, run under hot water for 5 seconds, the skin will slip off, and you can chop frozen and make very fresh tasting salsa. Or marinara, etc.

I never blanched first, and it worked well. I'd freeze them on cookie sheets and then bag them in freezer bags.

Slice them, put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, maybe some garlic powder and roast. Once they've cooled, put the cookie sheet in the freezer until they've frozen then peel them off the cookie sheet and freeze in ziplock bags. They're great on sandwiches, or on a pizza (no need for sauce).

Google "roasted tomatoes" for temp and time.