Menu

If I want to use the Phonics Road and teach syllabification

what should I do?

At this point I want to teach my children syllabification (a la AAS 2 or ?). I have realized that PR doesn't do this (I'm sure there is some reason and perhaps it's not as important as I think it is. It makes sense to me though!).

I have actually toyed with returning the PR and using AAS but I have reservations there as well.

In a last ditch effort to solidify my decision I'm wondering if there are any PR users who also want to teach syllabification. How will you do this? When? What will you use?

Any more experienced Moms who can set me straight if this desire is unfounded???

If my MAIN reason for choosing PR is to teach strong phonics and spelling skills then I wonder if it will be overkill. I'm not sold on the AIO aspect yet . . . Maybe AAS would be a better choice and it will include the syllabification. Those are just my out loud thoughts -- no need to respond!! :lol:

:confused: :confused: :confused: (Insert a tiny little voice saying "God please send a sign from Heaven telling what to do????")

what should I do?

At this point I want to teach my children syllabification (a la AAS 2 or ?). I have realized that PR doesn't do this (I'm sure there is some reason and perhaps it's not as important as I think it is. It makes sense to me though!).

I have actually toyed with returning the PR and using AAS but I have reservations there as well.

In a last ditch effort to solidify my decision I'm wondering if there are any PR users who also want to teach syllabification. How will you do this? When? What will you use?

Any more experienced Moms who can set me straight if this desire is unfounded???

If my MAIN reason for choosing PR is to teach strong phonics and spelling skills then I wonder if it will be overkill. I'm not sold on the AIO aspect yet . . . Maybe AAS would be a better choice and it will include the syllabification. Those are just my out loud thoughts -- no need to respond!! :lol:

:confused: :confused: :confused: (Insert a tiny little voice saying "God please send a sign from Heaven telling what to do????")

i could have written this word for word!

you are so my long lost twin

:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

If you like Phonics Road and you feel that you can teach it effectively and will implement it consistently then keep it. If your child has problems with multisyllable word decoding or encoding(spelling) in fourth grade you can use something like Megawords to cover syllabication. IMHO this is only an issue for about 20% of children. I think most kids would be fine without it.

Hth,

Oh no! I was all sold on PR (SWR has been a bomb here!) and I thought that was covered. Rrrrr! I also want DD to understand how we break words into syllables. While I understand it, I have come to accept that I need a little help when we get into the nitty gritty thins she considers boring. Now what will I do? Sigh.

PR has them writing words in syllables as soon as the first spelling list is given. It doesn't exactly put in syllabication, but you can easily enough. We do it every day.

Homeschooling6 (Linda) shows an example on her blog.

Read up on it and institute it using PR....it's easy. I just teach it as we get to a word that is applicable. Hasn't been an issue over here at all.

I have used both. After thinking it over, I personally do not find the syllable thing that big of a problem. She is doing really well with PR. When she sees a word I write up on the board right away she is singing the song or telling me exactly what the markings are no problem. The two take a different tack on the whole thing. PR teaches about syllables, just not the open and closed thing and all of that, but the kids are still learning a very strong spelling method. This method seems more automatic. I hope that helps. I think I will check megawords just to be sure too but as far as how well overall my kids are "getting" spelling and it becoming automatic, I would have to vote for PR (and I really do love AAS!).

Stacey

Many thanks ladies! After my melt down over the past few days I'm feeling good about starting PR. I AM, admittedly, overwhelmed by it for some reason. I have to watch the DVD and try to understand HOW to begin. I'm sure it's there and once I start it will click. It's just this starting thing . . .

I will check Linda's blog! Thanks so much Tina! You are one of my hive heroes!!! I am so thankful for you and often think about how faithful you are to your kiddos and in your home! I praise God for your example. Now, if you can just get me through TOG that would be awesome! Ha ha. :grouphug:

Megawords looks like a fantastic option to keep "waiting in the wings" if needed. I appreciate the insight and the suggestions. Big sigh and I have swallowed the :chillpill:. Hee hee.

Oh no! I was all sold on PR (SWR has been a bomb here!) and I thought that was covered. Rrrrr! I also want DD to understand how we break words into syllables. While I understand it, I have come to accept that I need a little help when we get into the nitty gritty thins she considers boring. Now what will I do? Sigh.

Hey Mama,

Take a look at Linda's blog, per Tina's suggestion. Here is the link:

http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com/

I also believe that PR is a strong program and that syllabification is NOT a hill to die on. Have you also looked at Megawords? It does teach this and is appropriate to use around 4th grade depending on the kiddo (I think . . . memory may be sketchy here). You can always fall back on that if you see the need!! OR you could use it and then transfer that teaching to your dc. :D I just might do that myself. Once I understand the skill I think I could naturally teach it to my children while using PR as Tina has wisely stated.

Another suggestion that just occurred to me is to look at Elizabeth's website here: http://www.thephonicspage.org/ She has a wealth of information on the syllabary and how to use it. It is worth a deeper investigation on my part as well. I may be able to incorporate what I learn from her into my use of PR.

Good luck Mama!

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I can carry on with the work of developing an explanation for my DH for exactly why it is that I am going to spend $200 for one year of a new reading curriculum, since we spent $100 on SWR last summer and it was supposed to get us through several years of reading instruction. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I can carry on with the work of developing an explanation for my DH for exactly why it is that I am going to spend $200 for one year of a new reading curriculum, since we spent $100 on SWR last summer and it was supposed to get us through several years of reading instruction. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Oh, I hear you on that one! :grouphug:

I don't know about you but I know SWR was a great program (I too shelled out the bucks and spent a night away which was more money!) but it is too open ended for me. (this made me feel totally overwhelmed and I just did not do anything!) It leaves too much up to me to implement on my own. I mentioned this to Mrs. Beers and she said that this was exactly why she make the program in the first place. Admittedly, I did not bring up the fact that I had spent that money before, why gum up the works? Hopefully, your husband is as clueless about what you do for your school as mine is and won't even think to ask;).

Stacey

My only save on that was selling old stuff to buy the new. Dh doesn't even ask about my paypal account....I must admit, I did $20 him to death this past year though, collecting books for TOG, one at a time :)

Many thanks ladies! After my melt down over the past few days I'm feeling good about starting PR. I AM, admittedly, overwhelmed by it for some reason. I have to watch the DVD and try to understand HOW to begin. I'm sure it's there and once I start it will click. It's just this starting thing . . .

I will check Linda's blog! Thanks so much Tina! You are one of my hive heroes!!! I am so thankful for you and often think about how faithful you are to your kiddos and in your home! I praise God for your example. Now, if you can just get me through TOG that would be awesome! Ha ha. :grouphug:

Megawords looks like a fantastic option to keep "waiting in the wings" if needed. I appreciate the insight and the suggestions. Big sigh and I have swallowed the :chillpill:. Hee hee.

aw shucks...I'm blushing. :001_wub:Thank you for the edification. We've been dealing with re-carpeting (b/c of mold!) and plugging along through school. The blessing is so appreciated, as I'm a wee bit tired and grouchy today...poor dc have to put up with Momma McGrumpy Pants today.

As for TOG...start slow. Add in new "subjects" as you have room to breathe! I think it was about a year b4 we finally got to doing all we do now. It really takes time and adjustment. Now, if only I could get all of my dc to love reading (2 just.don't.), life would be grand!

Hey Mama,

Take a look at Linda's blog, per Tina's suggestion. Here is the link:

http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com/

I also believe that PR is a strong program and that syllabification is NOT a hill to die on. Have you also looked at Megawords? It does teach this and is appropriate to use around 4th grade depending on the kiddo (I think . . . memory may be sketchy here). You can always fall back on that if you see the need!! OR you could use it and then transfer that teaching to your dc. :D I just might do that myself. Once I understand the skill I think I could naturally teach it to my children while using PR as Tina has wisely stated.

Another suggestion that just occurred to me is to look at Elizabeth's website here: http://www.thephonicspage.org/ She has a wealth of information on the syllabary and how to use it. It is worth a deeper investigation on my part as well. I may be able to incorporate what I learn from her into my use of PR.

Good luck Mama!

That was what I was going to suggest. If when done with PR you feel the need to cover syllable rules you can jsut go to Megawords, or for an ever more condensed version Solving Language Difficulties. Though the second only use with Jr. High and above because it has no visual appeal, it is just a straight black and white workbook.

Heather

I'll make it even easier, here they are, linked at the end of my how to tutor page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

You need the syllable division rules and the syllable division exercises. This teaches how to divide into syllables.

Webster's Speller (linked below) and the syllable divided books have words already divided to practice reading and spelling multi-syllable words, teaching syllables more by pattern than rule. It's best to do a bit of both.

Resource room also has some syllable division practice and syllable division rules, under the section "Syllable Division Rules."

:grouphug: THANKS so much for the direct links!!!!!!!!!! This will be perfect and I'm excited to utilize these resources. Bless you!!!

You're welcome! The game is fun, too, a lot funner than phonogram cards, it's also linked from the how to tutor page.

I'm originally from the beautiful PNW and my parents and brother are still in the Seattle area.

syllabication and syllabification seem to both be used interchangeably/just as often. huh:001_huh:

OK, you've made me curious, now. I looked them up, here's what the current Webster online says about each:

: syl·lab·i·ca·tion

Pronunciation: \sə-ˌla-bə-ˈkā-shən\

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

: the act, process, or method of forming or dividing words into syllables

: syl·lab·i·fi·ca·tion

Pronunciation: \sə-ˌla-bə-fə-ˈkā-shən\

Function: noun

: syllabication

Date: 1838

And here's what Webster's 1828 Dictionary has, it only has the first:

syllabication

SYLLABICA'TION, n. The act of forming syllables; the act or method of dividing words into syllables.

Hmm, maybe I'm using the wrong word since I'm such a Webster fan, who knew!

Edited by ElizabethB

Elizabeht, we use your phonics page, and it is working!:) IYO is Webster's easy to use? I guess I really don't understand what it is.:001_unsure:

It takes a little bit to get used to the syllables, but then it is very easy to use. If you're listened to my phonics lessons, I add syllables in to them, so it should be an easy transition. Also, lesson 32 explains a bit how to use Webster's Speller and I also have a short movie about it on my Webster page (linked below).

Webster's Speller is a spelling/phonics program developed by Noah Webster based on syllables. Since he wrote our first American dictionary and also taught school for several years, he had an amazing grasp of how our language works and how students learn, it is a shame it was run out of the schools by advocates of the sentence method (a form of whole word teaching that focused on sentences.)

Syllables ending in a vowel are long, ending in a consonant are short. After you learn the syllables, you learn to spell and read words that are divided into syllables for you. They are arranged by accent so you can see the schwa pattern of unaccented syllables, making it really easy for a young student or an ESL student to read 2 to 6 syllable words on their own. I have my students spell a word for every 10 or 20 the read, younger students may not be able to spell any 2 or 3 syllable words or you may have to give them more hints and less spelling words.