Menu

anyone do a sell-at-home business?

I sell Uppercase Living and love it. (If you haven't heard of it it's vinyl lettering, words/phrases & designs for walls.) I've been doing it since June 2008. It works really well for me in the sense that I can work it hard if I need to -- or take time off I need to (which has been the case since the first of the year). We earn a bottom line 25% straight commission with an average party being $400 or so dollars. I've had parties from $200 up to $1200. Then you can make more as you increase monthly sales and/or build a down line.

I like this company because I love decorating our home in unique ways and this is a great way to do it. I've been familiar with other companies, but not things I've been super-excited about like I am with Uppercase Living.

As for record keeping and taxes and all that -- it doesn't have to be difficult. Just keep good records and be faithful in what you need to do re: taxes.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by milovaný

I really, REALLY wanted to do one called Simply Fun - they have game parties, selling games for toddlers to adults. I thought it would fit in great with what I already do, the record keeping was pretty easy (we use Turbo Tax, so I'd just answer the right questions about being self-employed), and their products are awesome. The only reason I didn't is that EVERY friend I talked to said how much they hate those party-businesses. If it was even 60/40 I would probably have tried it, but with 100% negativity it just didn't seem like the right time or place or something. It seems like a lot of the people I know who do these (Pampered Chef, Discovery Toys, whatever) are getting out of it now. Maybe it's just my location? It's a great idea, but maybe take a look at your potential customers first, and then start looking for a business you think might interest them.

The only reason I didn't is that EVERY friend I talked to said how much they hate those party-businesses ... It's a great idea, but maybe take a look at your potential customers first, and then start looking for a business you think might interest them.

Having been doing this for almost two years now, I would say that I can't behind this approach. Your friends are NOT going to be your customers for the most part, and going into it thinking they will be is a mistake. (I hope you know I mean that respectfully! Just sharing what I've learned.) If I was going to open a storefront, I wouldn't rely on my friends to support that business, so I don't do that with my direct sales business either. YES, to get started we might ask our friends/family to host a party here and there, but that's just to start getting contacts outside our own circle. The goal has to be to find hostesses from a wide variety of areas (and as a related point, the goal IS to find hostesses, not customers).

I'm aware of the "I hate those parties" attitude, but there are also lots of people who enjoy them. I have one hostess right now who does a party every 4-6 weeks with a different company. Her circle of friends continues taking part. They're going to be spending money anyway, and they enjoy the great customer service and good prices we can get for them. Plus they love "girls night out."

Edited by milovaný

I am a supervisor with Usborne Books & More. I love the fact that we can branch out beyond parties (working with schools and libraries, for instance). You can make decent money with it and it did get us through the first year + after my dh quit teaching, but you do have to work for it. Business, no matter what kind, is something you have to put some effort into. It is not going to fall in your lap. So many people think that it is easy and that they won't have to make an effort when they sign up for businesses like these, but they are wrong. You get what you put into it. That is not to say you have to put in a ton of hours, but you do have to dedicate some time every week to it if you want to make money. I also suggest you work with a product that you personally can stand behind and get excited about. I tried Tupperware, but had a hard time selling a container for $13 when I felt a $3 one from Walmart would do the trick. I tried Mary Kay, but I am terrible about a maintaining a skin care regimine and hardly wear make-up.

Also, you can't rely on friends to make your business. You might ask one or two to host a party for you, but you are going to have to depart from that circle of friends to make it work.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about this kind of business or Usborne.

Thank you all for your responses so far :)

The business I'm interested in doing is jewelry. I think this would be good one to do because women love jewelry :) I just never done it before and have no sales experience so I'm just trying to figure out if this would be a good thing for me to do to earn a little bit on the side.

If anyone else has anymore input, I'd be glad to hear it :)

...The only reason I didn't is that EVERY friend I talked to said how much they hate those party-businesses. If it was even 60/40 I would probably have tried it, but with 100% negativity it just didn't seem like the right time or place or something. ...

I am one of those 100%. I hate the parties and won't attend one for any reason. I have found this to be true with other people I know...one friend recently posted a note on Facebook asking if anyone was interested in a Tupperware party to help out a friend of hers. She got about 10 responses - only one was a "yes" (so I guess that's 90% and not 100%).

And I know people who have lost relationships with friends b/c of the pushiness, although that's never happened to me.

If I want to buy something, I won't go to a party...I will go to Amazon.com. :)

I've been a consultant for a direct selling business for seven years and have found it to be a wonderful fit for me and my family. I enjoy the products and the company is top notch. The key to this kind of business is to know that your hours are flexible, not optional. If you want to make money it takes effort. Most people settle for the discount and never see an income. If that's all you're after, pick the company you like best, and give yourself a spending limit. If you want to make money, pick a company that has lots of return business potential, consumable products are great for that, and a large potential client base. And be prepared to work at least two nights a week.

If I want to buy something, I won't go to a party...I will go to Amazon.com.

While I totally respect your right to an opinion (truly!!), I just don't really understand this. Why not support someone you know, or a friend of a friend, instead of Amazon? When someone buys from me, even if something "small", I'm very thankful and leave it at that. I don't push for more (unless you call emailing a general email about sale items once a month or so "pushy"). But I'm a homeschool mom who's just trying to help my husband pay the bills -- I don't get why someone would rather support Amazon than a person in their life.

NOT judging or voicing frustration!!! I just don't understand it.

While I totally respect your right to an opinion (truly!!), I just don't really understand this. Why not support someone you know, or a friend of a friend, instead of Amazon? When someone buys from me, even if something "small", I'm very thankful and leave it at that. I don't push for more (unless you call emailing a general email about sale items once a month or so "pushy"). But I'm a homeschool mom who's just trying to help my husband pay the bills -- I don't get why someone would rather support Amazon than a person in their life.

NOT judging or voicing frustration!!! I just don't understand it.

I'm sorry if this came off wrong. Thank you for the gracious way you asked.

Here are my reasons:

1. I think most products sold by MLMs are not a good value. The makeup, jewelry, lingerie, kitchen items, home products, etc. sold by home businesses have a very high markup. (I speak from experience as I was involved in one about 15 years ago).

2. The idea of being invited to a party to be SOLD something drives me nuts. If I need a kitchen product, for example, I will order it from Amazon. I won't wait to be invited to a Tupperware or Pampered Chef "party". If I want a candle, I don't need to waste 2 hours of my life (and too much $$) at a PartyLite party. I will simply pick one up the next time I'm at the store.

3. In many cases - the consultants attempt to deceive their prospective customers (or recruits). I can recall at least 5 occasions in which a friend or acquaintance attempted to mislead me re: their MLM sales program. The last time it happened, I said, "No more, ever." For example, being invited to someone's house for a party (which we thought was simply a social event) and not being told that it's a sales pitch! (I realize I mis-spoke when I said I'd never lost a friend over the party business. I have.)

I'm really glad your business is working for you. Truly. :) But that direct sales model is not for me, either as a seller or a buyer.

I'm sorry if this came off wrong. Thank you for the gracious way you asked.

Here are my reasons:

1. I think most products sold by MLMs are not a good value. The makeup, jewelry, lingerie, kitchen items, home products, etc. sold by home businesses have a very high markup. (I speak from experience as I was involved in one about 15 years ago).

2. The idea of being invited to a party to be SOLD something drives me nuts. If I need a kitchen product, for example, I will order it from Amazon. I won't wait to be invited to a Tupperware or Pampered Chef "party". If I want a candle, I don't need to waste 2 hours of my life (and too much $$) at a PartyLite party. I will simply pick one up the next time I'm at the store.

3. In many cases - the consultants attempt to deceive their prospective customers (or recruits). I can recall at least 5 occasions in which a friend or acquaintance attempted to mislead me re: their MLM sales program. The last time it happened, I said, "No more, ever." For example, being invited to someone's house for a party (which we thought was simply a social event) and not being told that it's a sales pitch! (I realize I mis-spoke when I said I'd never lost a friend over the party business. I have.)

I'm really glad your business is working for you. Truly. :) But that direct sales model is not for me, either as a seller or a buyer.

I can agree about deception when it comes to MLM's (Melaleuca, Amway)...but with direct sales (MK, Avon, Jafra, PartyLite, Pampered Chef, Tupperware), even if there is a sales/recruiting pitch, I've yet to find deception (I've sold for three of those and have considered selling for one of the others and one unnamed).

MLM's are horrible, that I will admit, but direct sales can be a good start for learning the ropes of home business. Granted, there are some things that when I sold, I did differently than other reps and, if invited to a party, I refuse to participate in (giving names and numbers of other people without their permission in order to "win a prize"...I personally find this inappropriate).

I have had my own personal home business (service), but did start out with three direct sales companies and I'm grateful for what I learned from them.

I've gone to two of these parties where I felt pressured to buy something just because of the circumstances. One was the basket party. I spent $60 on the cheepest basket they had. I was....sick to my stomach. What a waste of money! But I was new to a group of ladies and wanted to get to know them and be a part of the group, so.....

The same thing happened many years later at the jewelry party. I was new to the group and REALLY wanted to get to know the lady who invited me, so I went. I was so frustrated because I wanted to buy something but there was NOTHING that I liked for a reasonable price. I ended up spending $60 on a gift for my daughter - earings I don't thing she ever wears. The WHOLE time, I kept thinking, "I could just wait for the 50% off sale at JC Penney's and get something much nicer for a much better price.

I felt trapped both times. I hated it. That last night, I decided I will never go to another sales "party", even if I do want to make a new friend. Sorry, I just don't think it's okay to bilk your friends like that.

I do have long time friendships where they have invited me and I've said ahead of time that I was NOT going to buy anything and they said to come anyway. I do, but it's kind of weird and, what's the point?

just wondering, how much did it cost you to start up your business? i know it depends on what you're selling, but i'm just curious.

It depends where you're located, what the market is, and how professional you are, to be blunt.

Right now, many, many people are attempting to go into business for themselves due to the economy. As with anything, a person has to have an "angle" - they have to be offering something new, or offering something old in a new manner, or they simply won't be able to break into the market.

A person has to do a LOT of research into their potential product/service. I know someone who lost a solid $50K (and this was a marketing CEO) when she decided to start her own little business because 1. she refused to listen to advice outside of a small circle of people 2. she became fixated on her product being "just so", even though, with a minor modification, it would have appealed to a MUCH larger audience and 3. she refused to go through the patent process. In the end, her product was essentially "stolen", adapted, and made millions for another company. She had absolutely no recourse.

Starting a business from scratch (vs being a representative for an existing company) can be beyond hard. A person doesn't have the advantages of "economy of scale" when purchasing raw materials or having products manufactured. They have to struggle to get space in boutiques, and are all but prevented from getting space in "big box" stores. Like a previous poster said, they are competing with Amazon and every other place like it. Obviously, that is only for a retail product - services are different.

I'll give you an example. Remember in the early '90s when gift baskets were all the rage? I was living in a place that was very new business friendly. It also happened to manufacture darn near everything. So I got the idea to make gift baskets that were made ENTIRELY from products of that state. From the basket to the jam to the crackers, mug, interesting doo dad - whatever. I came up with a nifty name. I filed for a business license. I called different suppliers and got samples sent to me. And you know what? I couldn't do it. The WHOLESALE cost to put together a small basket was going to start at $40. FORTY BUCKS! And that didn't include labor, self employment taxes, delivery - anything! There was no way I could compete with the crap coming in from China. End business.

And that is something people have to study very hard. Especially right now. There will always be the very rich, who will pay whatever it takes to buy whatever they want. But the majority? Right now they are hurting. And like someone above said, they aren't buying Tupperware, they're buying Rubbermaid.

One of the smartest (and wealthiest) men I've ever known told me once upon a time that if I ever had the money to invest, to invest in the companies of the products I used every day (Proctor and Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Apple, etc.). He said that, if I was using them, so were a million other people, and they were "safe" stocks. Businesses are the same way. Look around you and see what people seem to need. And then build a better mousetrap. So to speak.

asta

just wondering, how much did it cost you to start up your business? i know it depends on what you're selling, but i'm just curious.

Our start up kit is $99 and this includes all the basic supplies one needs to get start promoting and selling, a personal website and $25 in product credit. We have a more expensive kit but if someone is able to spend $199 to get going (which is the cost of the other kit), there's a better way to spend the approx. $200 by purchasing the $99 kit and some other items separately.

I have to agree. I sold briefly for two MLM companies (Tupperware and BrightMinds) and the pressure to recruit friends under you was overwhelming. (Maybe a third, but I won't go into that here.) I was curious to see it from the 'inside.'

Basically, the companies are built on women's friendships, imho. You start into it and get a few friends to have parties for you, then they invite their friends who buy at least something because they feel bad that they got snacks, and they want their friend to get her free stuff, and many women have a hard time saying no. Then they book a party, so that their friend gets more free stuff. Then those people invite their friends and the cycle starts all over again.

Most people do a few parties, make back the money they spent on their kit, and are done with it. The company is happy because they sold (usually overpriced) product to a group of people (her friends) that they might not have reached otherwise. A few rare ladies go on to recruit many people under them and build an empire. They become the faces in the brochures. These ladies have their own business savvy and could just as easily have started their own business instead. The company had little to do with their success, other than a few motivational pep rallies.

This is all jmho, of course. It's also why I dislike 'start your own business' stuff for kiddos. Often they make something, without any market research, and then family and friends are pressured to buy it from them. It is not a realistic picture of how the business world works (MLMs aside.)

Like a pp said, these businesses are booming right now, and they may be overworked in your area. As someone else said, a good business starts by knowing who your customers are and what they need. If you really want to start a business, find out what people need, combine that with what talent you have, and go from there.