Menu

I don't like what I see: TOG Year 4 WWII study

We were hoping to plan a huge study on WWII next year since we live in Hawaii and there are so many resources. I just went to the TOG website and I'm amazed at the sparse mention of the Pacific arena in WWII! As a matter of fact, all of WWII looked a little light.

Am I missing something? For those of you who have done Year 4 Unit 2, Can you tell me what you thought?

Thanks.

Jo

We were hoping to plan a huge study on WWII next year since we live in Hawaii and there are so many resources. I just went to the TOG website and I'm amazed at the sparse mention of the Pacific arena in WWII!

Never done TOG, but I can share our WWII Pacific War reading list...

World War II - Pacific: Chronicle of America’s Wars By Williams, Barbara

Under the Blood Red Sun By Salisbury, Graham

Remember Pearl Harbor: Japanese and American Survivors Tell Their Stories By Allen, Thomas

Pearl Harbor By Santella, Andrew

Douglas MacArthur by Haugen, Brenda

The Navajo Code Talkers By Santella, Andrew

Code Talker: A Novel about the Navajo Marines of WWII By Bruchac, Joseph

The House of Sixty Fathers By Meindert DeJong

Year of Impossible Goodbyes By Choi, Sook Nyul

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes By Coerr, Eleanor

Mieko and the Fifth Treasure By Coerr, Eleanor

My Hiroshima By Morimoto, Junko

When My Name was Keoko By Park, Linda Sue

Across the Blue Pacific By Borden, Louise

We were bombarded with info about WWII when we did TOG yr 4 classic.

Are you sure you're looking at the multi year, multi level resources.

Wait, are you looking at bookshelf central or an actual year plan?

Sometimes books don't come up on BC because of the multi whatever distinction.

TOG Redesign Year 4 spends 4 weeks on WWII from Hitler's rise to power (wk 13) to the dropping of the bombs (wk 16.) In addition, older students especially look how the Iron Curtain, Korean War, and Vietnam grew out of poor policy at the end of the war. With only 36 weeks to work with some things can't be as in-depth as we would like. You could condense unit four and expand the WWII study yourself if you like using TOG.

He's my favorite history book author for middle school.

"Hitler"

"Stalin: Russia's Man of Steel"

"Victory in the Pacific"

He also wrote a book about WWI called "The Yanks Are Coming" which I have not read.

The other books I always recommend about the European WWII experience are "Hitler Youth: Growing up in Hitler's Shadow" and "Number the Stars".

Note that none of the books in this post are even remotely sympathetic to Hitler or to the Nazis. I can't believe I have to say that, but I do.

I don't know about TOG, but adding to the list the others have mentioned:

A Boy At War: A Novel of Pearl Harbor by Harry Mazer

There are so many good books centered around this time period that if TOG doesn't go into enough detail you could certainly add in some good historical fiction and deepen your study.

We were hoping to plan a huge study on WWII next year since we live in Hawaii and there are so many resources. I just went to the TOG website and I'm amazed at the sparse mention of the Pacific arena in WWII! As a matter of fact, all of WWII looked a little light.

Am I missing something? For those of you who have done Year 4 Unit 2, Can you tell me what you thought?

Thanks.

Jo

We don't use TOG, so I can't comment on that. But don't miss reading Children of Battleship Row. It is one of the best books on Pearl Harbor that I've read. Has the youth fiction on the subject beat hands down.

The gift shop at the Pearl Harbor visitor's center carried it when we were there or you can get it from Amazon.

There is also the Pearl Harbor Junior Ranger booklets from the gift shop. This might be fun for your younger kids.