Menu

More booster seat questions.

My son has outgrown his old seat and I need to find something else for him. I've been re-reading the recent threads about booster seats vs. 5pt. harness seats and my head is spinning.

I guess what I'm wondering is for those of you who have been able to keep your kids in 5pt. harness seats for an extended length of time, how long do you plan to do that? What would be your next step?

I was looking at the Britax Parkway SG and the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster seats. Would you consider either of these to be acceptable?

(It looks like the Monterey booster seat is aluminum, not steel like the other seats by Sunshine Kids.)

Thanks!

They are both great boosters, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of those seats.

They both have large headwings, lined with EPS/EPP foam - which offers extra side-impact protection in the event of a crash.

The Parkway SG does have the advantage of having an extra clip (the SG part which stands for Slide Guard) which helps to prevent a child from 'submarining' under the lap portion of the seatbelt.

I do harness my children a long as possible. ( My 7 yr old rides in a Britax Regent, and my 5 yr old in a Marathon) but we have started 'booster training' with both girls - (short trips - teaching them not to wiggle, lean or squirm.) My kids have Britax Monarch boosters - but since that is no longer available, the two seats that you listed would be my top contenders.

Edited by mom2jjka

:iagree: Our 9yo went from a Britax Frontier to the Monarch. I would look at anything with the side wings and wouldn't bother with anything that didn't have those. ;)

mom2jjka - so glad to find another who keeps their dc in 5 pt. harness longer! I get some crazy looks when I tell people my 7 and 5yo are still in their Frontiers yet I know they are as safe as I can possibly make them be.

I think at nine, I'd look at a booster, or perhaps just the seat belt if it fits correctly. I have my almost 7 year old in his carseat still... and am thinking of his next step. The thing with boosters is that if they aren't correctly used, they're worse than just seat belts... (correctly used).

:)

I think at nine, I'd look at a booster, or perhaps just the seat belt if it fits correctly. I have my almost 7 year old in his carseat still... and am thinking of his next step. The thing with boosters is that if they aren't correctly used, they're worse than just seat belts... (correctly used).

:)

But a seat belt is not correctly used until it fits the child properly. And that isn't until the child can pass the 5-step test.

http://carseatblog.com/?p=3966

1. Does the child sit all the way back on the vehicle seat?

2. Are knees bent comfortably at the edge of the vehicle seat?

3. Does seatbelt cross the shoulder properly? (it should be centered over the collar bone)

4. Is the lap portion of the seatbelt low – touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated this way for the entire ride, every ride (awake and asleep)?

--mom to DS, 2.5, 30.5 lb, RFing in a Marathon and a Roundabout50

The most important part about any car seat or booster is that it is being used properly and the child is within the height and weight requirements. It is dangerous to keep a child in a 5 point harness if they have outgrown the weight requirements the harness straps may no longer be strong enough to support them in the event of a collision.

As for those specific booster, I think they are both great.

Those are the exact 2 seats I'm debating over for my 6 yr who is getting too tall for her Sunshine kids Radian. The problem for me is size. The Radian is so slim, it fits fine next to my youngest' Marathon.

I went to a local store and they had the Britax, but it wouldn't even begin to fit. I'd have to move my 2 yo out-board, instead of center.

I read some review that said the SK Monterey is not as slim as the Radian either. I can see the wings being a problem.

My 4 1/2 year old son is in a Britax Boulevard carseat with 5 point harness. I'm not sure how long I'll keep him in there. But he's still fitting comfortably and I love that seat (and paid a lot for it lol) so I'm in no rush to take him out.

I forget how old my daughter was when I first put her INTO a booster seat (as opposed to a carseat), but she stayed in it until she was 8 (using a highbacked Graco TurboBooster) and now she doesn't use anything except for the seatbelt. She's 9 1/2 now. And she's only allowed to sit in the back seat and of course she must always wear her seatbelt.

Whenever I get around to taking my son out of his carseat (not in the very near future) he'll go into her old Graco TurboBooster).

My son has outgrown his old seat and I need to find something else for him. I've been re-reading the recent threads about booster seats vs. 5pt. harness seats and my head is spinning.

I guess what I'm wondering is for those of you who have been able to keep your kids in 5pt. harness seats for an extended length of time, how long do you plan to do that? What would be your next step?

I was looking at the Britax Parkway SG and the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster seats. Would you consider either of these to be acceptable?

(It looks like the Monterey booster seat is aluminum, not steel like the other seats by Sunshine Kids.)

Thanks!

We use the Britax Frontier because I am paranoid and LOVE the five-point idea. It also has side-impact head protection. Caveat: it was a complete nightmare getting it into our car, but that might vary according to the kind of car you have. It is a very safe seat, though, and that was the most important consideration for us.

Thanks for all the responses! It has been helpful to get some thoughts on booster seats in general and these two seats in particular.

Ds has been in a convertible seat that can be used as a booster seat and that's what we've been doing. He was in the 5pt harness until he outgrew that and then we were able to use it as a booster, but now he's outgrown that too. (I was aware of the weight limit for the seat, but I didn't remember that there was a height limit too. Thankfully I saw it as we were transferring his seat into a friend's car.)

The state we currently live in has an 8 years or 80 pounds requirement, and the state we are moving to has an 8 years or 57 inches requirement for a booster seat. He's neither 80 pounds, nor 57 inches, so size-wise he still needs something, regardless of his age.

But a seat belt is not correctly used until it fits the child properly. And that isn't until the child can pass the 5-step test.

3. Does seatbelt cross the shoulder properly? (it should be centered over the collar bone)

5. Can the child stay seated this way for the entire ride, every ride (awake and asleep)?

Thanks! The pictures on there were very clear in showing how the seatbelt should be positioned.

Looking at #3: I should be in a booster seat!

Those are the exact 2 seats I'm debating over for my 6 yr who is getting too tall for her Sunshine kids Radian. The problem for me is size. The Radian is so slim, it fits fine next to my youngest' Marathon.

I went to a local store and they had the Britax, but it wouldn't even begin to fit. I'd have to move my 2 yo out-board, instead of center.

I read some review that said the SK Monterey is not as slim as the Radian either. I can see the wings being a problem.

It appears as if the Monterey is even wider than the Parkway. We don't have any other carseats to fit in, but our backseat is not exactly spacious so I'm wondering how well these will fit.

It appears as if the Monterey is even wider than the Parkway. We don't have any other carseats to fit in, but our backseat is not exactly spacious so I'm wondering how well these will fit.

Oh, dear. I don't know what I'll do, then.

I really don't want the 2yo by the door, but I really want to keep the 6 yo in a 5 pt. She is not very mature when it comes to fiddling with things and sitting correctly.

Edited by Blessedfamily

:iagree: Our 9yo went from a Britax Frontier to the Monarch. I would look at anything with the side wings and wouldn't bother with anything that didn't have those. ;)

mom2jjka - so glad to find another who keeps their dc in 5 pt. harness longer! I get some crazy looks when I tell people my 7 and 5yo are still in their Frontiers yet I know they are as safe as I can possibly make them be.

I have one twin in Parkway boosters. She loves the wings for napping in the car. The other twin is still in the Frontier (the twins will be 9 on 7/1!!!). She is about to grow out of it based on height and is very upset about it. She loves riding in a 5 pt harness and wishes she could do so always and forever. Despite the fact that the Frontier converts to a booster, she doesn't want to give up the harness. Many tears will be shed here soon.

Oh, dear. I don't know what I'll do, then.

I really don't want the 2yo by the door, but I really want to keep the 6 yo in a 5 pt. She is not very mature when it comes to fiddling with things and sitting correctly.

I'm sorry. I was comparing two different measurements. I think I looked at the interior seat width of the Parkway and the seat base/foot width of the Monterey.

Here are the dimensions if it helps.

Monterey

Seat Base / Foot Width15"

Seat height26"

Interior seat width14" - 20"

Parkway

Seat Base / Foot Width17"

Seat height28" - 35"

Interior seat width13"