Menu

Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance

I purchased this and already received 2 emails that the price went down by $5.00 so even better! Would this course alone be equal to 1 credit? If so, what would I call it? If not, what should I add to make it a credit and call it what? I'm at a loss but this is definitely a course my 9th and 11th graders are going to work through together (I bought the younger version for my two younger kids, too).

Heidi

I purchased this and already received 2 emails that the price went down by $5.00 so even better! Would this course alone be equal to 1 credit? If so, what would I call it? If not, what should I add to make it a credit and call it what? I'm at a loss but this is definitely a course my 9th and 11th graders are going to work through together (I bought the younger version for my two younger kids, too).

Heidi

I'm just now skimming through disc 1 of the DVDs and flipping through the workbook. It looks like the Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance on its own would be worth about 0.33 of a credit to me. There are 12 "chapters" on the DVD component (each about 10-15 minutes long), which comes out to about 3 hours of DVD lectures. The workbook also has 12 chapters, and at 1 chapter a week (a very easy pace), that would only last you 12 weeks (1/3rd of a school year).

We have already done 2 books to count towards our required 0.5 Economics credit (Money Matters for Teens by Larry Burkett, and Whatever Happened to Penny Candy by Richard Maybury). So in addition to the Dave Ramsey course, I plan to incorporate an overview of "macro" economics (from materials TBA -- LOL!) to flesh it out to a 0.5 credit course entitled "Economics". (From everything I am hearing from BTDT moms, it's best to stick with class names that colleges are looking for.)

Cheers! Lori D.

I hadn't thought about looking at it from an economics point of view - makes more sense to me. I'll have to look for some options to add to the course so that they at least have .5 credit for econ- isn't it usually paired with .5 credit for government? Would it be okay to have a 9th grader earn .5 in econ now versus in 3 years? I don't have any stipulations in my state (VA) but just wondering.

The course is worth 0.5 credit once you add most of the components of which the workbook is only part of it. The Teacher CD-Rom has lesson plans for either 45 days (9 weeks) using about 1/2 the contents or 90 days (18 weeks) using all the contents.

It also contains lesson plans for each chapter. The video segements for each chapter are over an hour for each chapter. There are activities sheets usually 5 for each chapter. Some require the internet for research. There are chapter tests and 4 unit tests.

Between the video segements, workbook, activity sheets, tests, and discussion it takes my daughter 3 to 4 hours per week, and I am not having her do all the activity sheets. Although I am adding a few projects for her to complete once this course from Life Prep for Homeschool Students.

The course is worth 0.5 credit once you add most of the components of which the workbook is only part of it. The Teacher CD-Rom has lesson plans for either 45 days (9 weeks) using about 1/2 the contents or 90 days (18 weeks) using all the contents.

It also contains lesson plans for each chapter. The video segements for each chapter are over an hour for each chapter. There are activities sheets usually 5 for each chapter. Some require the internet for research. There are chapter tests and 4 unit tests.

Between the video segements, workbook, activity sheets, tests, and discussion it takes my daughter 3 to 4 hours per week, and I am not having her do all the activity sheets. Although I am adding a few projects for her to complete once this course from Life Prep for Homeschool Students.

Thank you so much, Beth! It's good to hear from someone who has used it what it is *really* like. :) My estimate was based on just skimming the material as I pulled it out of the box.