Menu

Tag sales--are they worth it?

We have WAAAAAY too much stuff and I need to get rid of lots. Money is tight here and we could certainly use a bit extra. So I find it hard to just give stuff away. I don't really like the idea of Craigslist of some stranger coming to the house to pick something up. And some of our things are big (too big for E-bay and I don't really want to do that anyway.) So....I was considering a tag sale. I know it is a lot of work.

Just wondering, if you have ever done one, did you think it was really worth the effort?

Woolybear

Even with multiple houses, signs, and advertising, we've never done more than $100 for a lot of work.

Now we just donate to the Salvation Army and get the tax write-off, or we put bigger items up for consignment at a local store that does that and figure that getting something is better than nothing. Last year I consigned a decent headboard that I had paid $400 for new and only used six months, and made $50.

Not for me. I hate the whole thing: pricing, setting up, having people show up at my house at dawn, haggling over a quarter... Load up the car - we're going to Goodwill! Also, more strangers will come to your house if you hold a tag-sale than would if you sell something on Craigslist.

If you advertise it well, with good signs leading people to your door, you can do very well. But it takes a lot of prep work in advance - moving it outside or to the sale area, cleaning it up some, deciding on prices, and so on. The last few times we did it I made several hundred dollars but most of that was made Friday betwen quitting time and dark (people just got paid and felt they had extra money) and Saturday morning. Like a store some of it depends on how you have it displayed. You will want to borrow tables or put sheets of plywod out on saw horses for tables if possible. Most people I know hate digging thru boxes or getting down on the ground to dig thru piles of stuff but will flip thru mounds on tables. Our hanging clothes always go before those on tables though.

I did it once and would never do it again.

It all gets donated to the Red Cross or goes to the town dump.

My neighbor was selling comforters for $1, vacuum cleaner for $3. By the time she paid for the ad in the paper it would have been cheaper to load up the car and head to the dump.

I've never had much luck with them. I used Craigslist for the first time last week, and made $150 in 48 hours by selling a TV, armoire, and ottoman. I was a little uncomfortable having people come to the house so made appointments for when dh would be around.

It was way easier than a garage sale, or loading up a truck to take it to Goodwill.

I made almost $1000 on my going out of baby business sale, including crib, breast pump, tons of clothes and toys. The next one I did about $250 on, and it wasn't worth the effort from that point on.

Now I sell what's worth my time on ebay and amazon, give kids clothes away to two families in need, and donate the rest to the thrift shop.

Donating it and writing off the donation (make sure you get a receipt) is way more worth it--you can claim the full retail value as a deduction. $1000 in goods = $150+ on your next tax return. I've never done anywhere near that well at a tag sale. People want to haggle on price. You have to haul away anything that doesn't sell. You're giving up a day (or two or three). Totally not worth it. The only exception I can think of is if you live in a neighborhood that does a community-wide sale every year.

My husband hates for us to have them as most people try to look around at stuff in your garage that isn't for sale...too much trouble for too little return.

People try to haggle down a $5.00 item....makes me crazy!

Too much work, people are disrespectful and you still have to haul half of it to Goodwill!

You guys have pretty much convinced me not to do it. I was leaning that way anyway. It's just my gut feeling about it. Too much work for what we get back. It's just a little hard to turn away possible potential cash.

I am thinking I will bring some things to this e-bay selling place down the road. They deal with the whole thing--posting it, photos, shipping. I get a percentage. Some other things to Goodwill. And maybe sell some hs stuff here. Sounds like a plan.:D

Woolybear