Menu

Drama of American History

TrixieB

If you used the Drama of American History series, I have a couple of questions for you. Our library has this series, and I checked out a handful of them yesterday. After reading through one volume, I can say that I prefer it to Hakim (which my older child is now using). Here's what I'd like to know.

1. How old were your children when you used this series with them?

2. Did you read the books aloud, or assign them to be read independently?

If you used the Drama of American History series, I have a couple of questions for you. Our library has this series, and I checked out a handful of them yesterday. After reading through one volume, I can say that I prefer it to Hakim (which my older child is now using). Here's what I'd like to know.

1. How old were your children when you used this series with them?

2. Did you read the books aloud, or assign them to be read independently?

Rats! I stumbled across Spy Car's post in the middle of the night, looked the books over, then decided that since I already own Hakim and have plans to go with it, I'd stay put. Now you have to tell me that you prefer them as well.:bigear:

I'm going to be of no help, but after seeing Spycar's post I checked a few out and I highly prefer them to Hakim. (I don't know quite what it was, but I found no fondness for Hakim at all...)

I'm slowly collecting them one by one when I find them. Otherwise we'll just check out what we can from the library. I think they are easy enough for my "will be 4th grader" to read them when we get to it next year.... however, it will probably be the type of thing he reads and then we discuss.

I'm going to be of no help, but after seeing Spycar's post I checked a few out and I highly prefer them to Hakim. (I don't know quite what it was, but I found no fondness for Hakim at all...)

I'm slowly collecting them one by one when I find them. Otherwise we'll just check out what we can from the library. I think they are easy enough for my "will be 4th grader" to read them when we get to it next year.... however, it will probably be the type of thing he reads and then we discuss.

Robyn, would they be too easy for 7th to 8th graders?

While looking at this series, I read somewhere ( I think it was Amazon) that there is an audio version available, narrated by Liev Schreiber. Guess what? Starting tonight, Liev Schreiber is narrating a 12-hour documentary on American History.. I wonder if it's based on this series.

Here's the news:http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/92034994.html

Robyn, would they be too easy for 7th to 8th graders?

Not Robyn... but IMO I don't think they'd be too easy for that age range. I was thinking to assign them to my 6th grader for independent reading, followed by discussion with me, plus assigning historical fiction and biographies for the time period, but I'm not sure if they'll be too tough for independent reading (hence my original questions).

Trixie, you may be the trend-setter here.:D

Wellllll....

Tonight I gave my 6th grader the Puritans volume. She read the first two chapters and said she preferred it to Hakim. She doesn't like all the Hakim asides, opinions, and definitions. She agreed that combining Drama with historical fiction & biographies would give her a reasonably good understanding of the historical period.

Still waiting to hear feedback from any other users... :bigear:

• 2 weeks later...

I just received Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1683. Egads, these are impressive. Or at the very least, they are better suited to my quirky, youngest student than Hakim is. The preface alone could have sold me. I am also thinking they will be excellent for outlining and note taking.

• 1 month later...

I know this is old but resurrecting it to find out just how many volumes are there in the series.

It just figures-I was planning on using Hakim this fall too....but I'm all for a better resource! ;) I just want to see a bit more of DofAH and do some comparing for myself. My library doesn't have it but I'm hoping to use inter-library loan.

Edited by Ann in IA

Here is Moira's very handy list of the complete series.

Here's a list of the titles in the series:

• Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Paradox of Jamestown, 1585 to 1700, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The French and Indian War, 1660 to 1763, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The American Revolution, 1763 to 1783, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Pilgrims and Puritans, 1620 to 1676, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Creating the Constitution, 1787, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Andrew Jackson's America, 1821 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War, 1835 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Jeffersonian Republicans, 1800 to 1820, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Civil War, 1860 to 1866, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War, 1831 to 1861, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Reconstruction and the Rise of Jim Crow, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Rise of Industry: 1860 to 1900, Marshall Cavendish (New York, NY), 1999.
  • A Century of Immigration: 1820 to 1924, Marshall Cavendish/Benchmark Books (Tarrytown, NY), 1999.
  • Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers, 1865 to 1910, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • The United States Enters the World Stage: From Alaska through World War I, 1867 to 1919, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • Progressivism, the Great Depression, and the New Deal, 1901 to 1941, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • The Rise of the Cities, Cavendish/Benchmark (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • United States in World War II, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The Changing Face of American Society, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The United States in the Cold War, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2002.
  • The Middle Road: American Politics, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2002.

We own about half the set(Thank you used book store!) My 11 year old can read these independently. She REALLY likes this series over Hakim.(She hated Hakim's books).

We are adding in literature and biographies along with a program called "Our Land of Liberty".(We like this program because it is set up with "newspapers" but does not go as in depth as the Drama series). The newspapers are a fun read though.

I know this is old but resurrecting it to find out just how many volumes are there in the series.

It just figures-I was planning on using Hakim this fall too....but I'm all for a better resource! ;) I just want to see a bit more of DofAH and do some comparing for myself. My library doesn't have it but I'm hoping to use inter-library loan.

Ann, I bought the first book from Alibris. It was $0.99 and I used their coupon so my cost was postage. After I decided that I liked the series, I started grouping the books by sellers to save on postage on Alibris. I have nearly all of the set purchased through the proceeds from my Hakim set.:D Anyway, even if you have to purchase a book, it shouldn't cost you very much for the comparison.

Ann, I bought the first book from Alibris. It was $0.99 and I used their coupon so my cost was postage. After I decided that I liked the series, I started grouping the books by sellers to save on postage on Alibris. I have nearly all of the set purchased through the proceeds from my Hakim set.:D Anyway, even if you have to purchase a book, it shouldn't cost you very much for the comparison.

When you are done with them you know who to offer the right of first refusal, yes?

Bill (who wasn't smart enough to lay in his own stash before opening his mouth :D)

• 5 months later...

Here is Moira's very handy list of the complete series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmoira viewpost.gif

Here's a list of the titles in the series:

• Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Paradox of Jamestown, 1585 to 1700, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The French and Indian War, 1660 to 1763, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The American Revolution, 1763 to 1783, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Pilgrims and Puritans, 1620 to 1676, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Creating the Constitution, 1787, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Andrew Jackson's America, 1821 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War, 1835 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Jeffersonian Republicans, 1800 to 1820, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Civil War, 1860 to 1866, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War, 1831 to 1861, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Reconstruction and the Rise of Jim Crow, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Rise of Industry: 1860 to 1900, Marshall Cavendish (New York, NY), 1999.
  • A Century of Immigration: 1820 to 1924, Marshall Cavendish/Benchmark Books (Tarrytown, NY), 1999.
  • Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers, 1865 to 1910, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • The United States Enters the World Stage: From Alaska through World War I, 1867 to 1919, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • Progressivism, the Great Depression, and the New Deal, 1901 to 1941, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • The Rise of the Cities, Cavendish/Benchmark (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • United States in World War II, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The Changing Face of American Society, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The United States in the Cold War, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2002.
  • The Middle Road: American Politics, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2002.

THANK YOU for reposting this list, Bill. I have been searching fruitlessly on the web for over 30 minutes trying to find this list.

• 3 months later...
I am very interested in this series. My boys are still young, but I like to know great resources out there for American history. Thanks for the info. I just requested a few of these from my library to have a look.

This series has been discussed in some depth in a few other thread since Matroyshka first brought this series to the Hive's attention.

As a short answer I will say I found the books I've read in the series to be exceptionally well-written, engaging, and provide the best distillation of American History I've ever seen.

The authors are (to my mind) exceptionally even-handed when dealing with the controversies and conflicts in our history. They attempt to present the best case positions for both sides when there were conflicts, so a student can understand there were reasons for positions that came into conflict, and that history is not a crude division of good guys and bad guys.

The style that of academics and scholars who have a gift for story telling and who make the story of our nation's history exciting and accessible to young readers. It is difficult to pull off a "simplified" history series, and at the same time deal with complexities. These gentlemen have delivered a rare thing.

Bill