Menu

G.A. Henty - Do your children enjoy his works? x-post

Dd tried twice to read The Cat of Bubastes. She has yet to make it through it. It is not her style.

This book is on our reading list for the next few weeks. With all girls in our family, I didnt' select a lot of Henty books for the list, but I was thinking something with "Cat" in the title might be okay (big cat lovers here).

I'm thinking I'll hand it to them, but if they groan too much I won't force them to finish. I'm curious now to see how it goes.

This book is on our reading list for the next few weeks. With all girls in our family, I didnt' select a lot of Henty books for the list, but I was thinking something with "Cat" in the title might be okay (big cat lovers here).

I'm thinking I'll hand it to them, but if they groan too much I won't force them to finish. I'm curious now to see how it goes.

What else have you read for Egypt?

Just thought I'd chime in that Jim Weiss has narrated a number of G. A. Henty novels (slightly abridged) and more: The Cat of Bubastes, G. A. Henty Short Story Collection, Vol 1, Beric the Briton, and quite a few more.

Regards,

Kareni

Although it's WTM blasphemy, for me, that, my friend, is a match made in Hell, to be sure.

We tried to get through The Young Carthaginian, and I was so horrified by a particularly imperialist, racist paragraph, I could not go on. I wanted to like it, really, I did.

I also did not care for The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow and Beorn the Proud (which, having met your son, I can safely say he would also not especially enjoy). Sutcliff just ruined all those other books for me. Sigh. Have you already read Sutcliff's early Britain works? Although they aren't her best works, The Shield Ring (good) and Frontier Wolf (better) both cover this same time period that I think you're after.

Although it's WTM blasphemy, for me, that, my friend, is a match made in Hell, to be sure.

We tried to get through The Young Carthaginian, and I was so horrified by a particularly imperialist, racist paragraph, I could not go on. I wanted to like it, really, I did.

I also did not care for The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow and Beorn the Proud (which, having met your son, I can safely say he would also not especially enjoy). Sutcliff just ruined all those other books for me. Sigh. Have you already read Sutcliff's early Britain works? Although they aren't her best works, The Shield Ring (good) and Frontier Wolf (better) both cover this same time period that I think you're after.

Thank you for saving me from myself and the wrath of an irate 12yo. How did you know that I was tracking down used copies of Rolf and Beorn? Thank goodness I was unsuccessful. Our Sutcliff collection has expanded and we have both the books you mentioned. I finally tracked down another of Mary Ray's books, The Eastern Beacon. It was quite good. Unfortunately most used copies of her other three books in the Roman Empire sequence seem to reside on other continents. I am slowly working my way through Eliana's list of recommendations. Are there any other of the Living History books that you think Swimmer Dude will dislike? Augustine? Charlemagne?

I had heard such glowing reviews of the Henty books from some homeschoolers, and I wondered if my boys would like them -- seemed like a great way to learn some history. Well, they had to read In Freedom's Cause for a class, and although it started or cemented one son's current obsession with all things Scottish, they both found it really far-fetched. The fictitious boy character, Archie Forbes, apparently saves the day many times. My sons still laugh about how Archie Forbes should be a bigger hero than William Wallace or Robert the Bruce. They haven't wanted to read any other Henty books. I should add that my kids are pretty suspicious of historical fiction in general (heaven knows I've tried -- they've read The Bronze Bow, Eagle of the Ninth, etc.) ...They prefer either straight history (textbook or primary source) or all-out fantasy (Lord of the Rings, etc.).

Thank you for saving me from myself and the wrath of an irate 12yo. How did you know that I was tracking down used copies of Rolf and Beorn? Thank goodness I was unsuccessful. Our Sutcliff collection has expanded and we have both the books you mentioned. I finally tracked down another of Mary Ray's books, The Eastern Beacon. It was quite good. Unfortunately most used copies of her other three books in the Roman Empire sequence seem to reside on other continents. I am slowly working my way through Eliana's list of recommendations. Are there any other of the Living History books that you think Swimmer Dude will dislike? Augustine? Charlemagne?

Do you mean from the Living History Library reprint books? Those are the only two I've read, so I did not try Augustine (Comes to Kent?) or Charlemagne. If you're interested in provoking your boy into a... critique... in his singular (and, to me, totally charming) style, I would be happy to pass along the copies we have, Rolf & Beorn.

I did like Geoffrey Trease's books. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall any about that time period, though. He is another good British historical fiction writer, but not quite as good as Sutcliff. I hadn't heard of Mary Ray.

Where is Eliana's list, if I may ask?

Edited by Nicole M

I had heard such glowing reviews of the Henty books from some homeschoolers, and I wondered if my boys would like them -- seemed like a great way to learn some history. Well, they had to read In Freedom's Cause for a class, and although it started or cemented one son's current obsession with all things Scottish, they both found it really far-fetched. The fictitious boy character, Archie Forbes, apparently saves the day many times. My sons still laugh about how Archie Forbes should be a bigger hero than William Wallace or Robert the Bruce. They haven't wanted to read any other Henty books. I should add that my kids are pretty suspicious of historical fiction in general (heaven knows I've tried -- they've read The Bronze Bow, Eagle of the Ninth, etc.) ...They prefer either straight history (textbook or primary source) or all-out fantasy (Lord of the Rings, etc.).

Have you read Porter's The Scottish Chiefs for Wallace and Bruce. I was wondering how that was. I think my son would have the same reactions your sons did especially since we were just talking about authors who don't "play true" with their settings or characters.

Nicole, here is the thread with Eliana's amazing list.

What else have you read for Egypt?

Well, we're just starting, so as yet it's only one dd who's gotten through Mara, Daughter of the Nile. She really liked the first part, but was less happy when it got romancy at the end.

I think the rest of my historical fiction list for Egypt is pretty much the standard stuff gleaned from reading all the other lists (except maybe the last book, which is one I read and loved as a child - my kids actually snuck that earlier this year, as my old copy was sitting on the shelf) -

A Place in the Sun by Jill Rubalcaba (13th cent. BC)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise McGraw (Hatshepsut)

Pepi and the Secret Names -Jill Walsh (Dhutmose)

The Golden Goblet by Eloise McGraw (Amenhotep III)

The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (1250 BC) - audio

Pharaoh’s Daughter by Julius Lester

His Majesty Hatshepsut by Dorothy Carter

Casting the Gods Adrift by Geraldine McCaughrean (Akhenaten)

Cat in the Mirror by Mary Stolz

Oh, look, I had Cat of Bubastes down as being something we should do on audio - I may have anticipated it being problematic... :tongue_smilie: But I see the audio is from Jim Weiss - not sure I can listen to him for that long (my kids have already ix-nayed listening to his reading of SOTW)...

Love to hear if there's anything good I'm missing! :D

I also have a bunch of non-fiction titles (I hope Science in Ancient Egypt is as much of a hit as the Mesopotamia one!) including the Oxford book, a bunch of mythology, some biographies of Ramses and Hatshepsut, and the book Spend the Day in Ancient Egypt, in the off chance that anyone wants to do a project.

I think we may try to mummify a squab - chickens are way too big. Aren't you glad you asked? :tongue_smilie:

I must say that I could never read them, but have listened to two.

I think an excellent start is The Cat of Bubastes as it is short! We heard it a few years ago and still talk about some of it. I have two friends who were very apprehensive about henty and they loved it too.

We listened to Beric the Briton. First I must say it is one of my favorite books, but I never would a have made it reading it. Moreover, the first one third to half I really had trouble paying attention. I think my then 11 year old son who comprehends deeply had to keep updating me on what was going on.

So why did I love it so much? Because Beric proved to be the most amazing man (far fetched as he might be) I have heard of. To this day if I see a trait simialr to his in my son I am proud. It is who you want your son to grow up to be. He was both a knight in shining armor and advocate for women. The last half of the book I could not stop listening to it, but I admit it was difficult getting there.

And so I think that may be the problem with the Henty books, the first third to hald is a bit dull.

Kathy

My oldest dd and 15 yo ds have read many Henty books and enjoyed them. They are both history buffs and realize that the writing in formulaic and stuffy. They still read many and gleaned much. I read Cat of Bubastes out loud and loved it. Another friend hated it! I couldn't get through more than that one, though.

fwiw: I can't stand Jim Wiess' voice, though my 2 youngest LOVE sotw and listen every.single day.

My oldest dd and 15 yo ds have read many Henty books and enjoyed them. They are both history buffs and realize that the writing in formulaic and stuffy. They still read many and gleaned much. I read Cat of Bubastes out loud and loved it. Another friend hated it! I couldn't get through more than that one, though.

fwiw: I can't stand Jim Wiess' voice, though my 2 youngest LOVE sotw and listen every.single day.

Lisa, my son loves history so I think we will try just one and see what happens. He is very unpredictable in his choices although I'm sure Nicole M, who knows him, has called it with regards to his response. Sometimes I can overlook formulaic writing if the history details catch my attention.

• 2 months later...

We have not read any of his books, although they look good. Now after reaing these posts I am not so sure.

This is a little out of topic but you were asking for ideas for books. I have the book "All Through the Ages: History Through Literature Guide" by Christine Miller and we have enjoyed many of her recomendations. My children are younger than yours (I just like to read about High School as we are approaching it fast!), so we have not tried the 7-9 grade recomenations yet. We will next year.

I think you mention Egypt and Saxons and Vikings??

For Egypt she has books like:

Pillar of Fire by J.H Ingrahm

Lost Queen of Egypt by Lucile Morrison

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis

Motel of the Mysteries by David Macaulay

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Laancelyn Green

For the Dark Ages they have a ton of books, some are biographies and other are fictions. Titles like:

Charlemagne: From Hammer to Cross by Richard Winston

Alfred the Great by Simon Keynes

Fiction:

Darkness and the Dawn by Thomas B. Costain

Lantern Bearers by Rosemery Sutcliff

Dawn Wind by "

Light Beyond the Forest by "

Sword and the Circle by "

Tristan and Iseult by "

Shining Company by "

Viking's Dawn Trilogy by Henry Treece

Hakon of Rogen's Saga by Erik Christian

Slave's Tale by Eric Christian Haugaard

Olaf the Glourious by Robert Leighton

There are so many....the books are divided by historical eras, then she gives you time lines, then she has books for different grade levels (1-3/ 4-6 /7-9 and 10-12). Then she gives you books for overview of the era, Specific events, historical fiction, literature, culture, biographies.

Sorry, I guess I got carried away. As you can tell I like this book!:tongue_smilie: