Menu

Are there any world history textbooks that come with tests, quizzes....

and other support materials besides Abeka, Notgrass, or BJU? I have The Human Odyssey, by Speilvogel, and as much as I love it, I do not want to make up my own tests. I need something easy to implement. I am considering BJU, but would like to know if there are other choices.

Thanks!!

re: Spielvogel's Human Odyssey

JMO, but I think HO lends itself very easily to quizzes and tests from what's in the book already. What about using the in-the-chapter questions (found every 4-7 pages) as your quizzes? And for tests: you can circle as many of the end of chapter review questions as you like for an end-of-chapter test. Not too hard to flip back into the chapter to find the answers for grading. Most of the in-the-chapter question answers are the boldfaced words in the text.

BEST of luck finding what works for your family. Warmly, Lori D.

Hi Michelle,

Since you already have the Human Odyssey, can you use the questions at the beginning or end of each chapter as tests? Some could be oral, some could be written. You could always find a nifty map book to add in for geography. Perhaps someone will know if HO has online support anywhere; many college-level Spielvogel texts do.

Blessings,

April

Ds used Civilization in the West by Kishlansky and the tests off this website:

http://wps.ablongman.com/long_kishlansky_cw_5/4/1048/268321.cw/index.html

He did them online and printed them out (both the multiple choice and true/false)

Although it say "the West," it includes the Middle East. It did not include Asia or Africa.

Ds used Civilization in the West by Kishlansky and the tests off this website:

http://wps.ablongman.com/long_kishlansky_cw_5/4/1048/268321.cw/index.html

He did them online and printed them out (both the multiple choice and true/false)

Although it say "the West," it includes the Middle East. It did not include Asia or Africa.

Thanks! This looks great! I do have a few questions: 1) Is this a college text? 2) Did you use a single volume text? Some of the volumes I found online are split between parts. 3) Is the textbook interesting to read?

Thanks so much!

I believe it is a college text as it is copyrighted by Harper Collins College Publishers. I used the 2nd edition, which I acquired at a used book sale or the book shed at the dump, which was one volume.

In our first year of homeschooling (9th grade), ds was not doing well with all the reading for Ancients in WTM. He hated "original" works and it was like pulling teeth. At some point, we switched to this textbook. He found it to be easier, and more interesting, than the "original source" materials. We did split it over two years, one for Ancients and one for Medieval (up to the American Rev) at which point he took AP US Govt and then US History, so he never did the "world" part of modern history.

Edited by In The Great White North

We're using an older version of this textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-World-Civilizations-Combined-7th/dp/0131926233/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271867362&sr=1-4

This is its companion website. It has section reviews that I use as quizzes, and chapter reviews that I use as tests. It has a lot of interactive map activities also.

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_craig_herwldcivb_2/17/4596/1176577.cw/index.html

The book includes several primary sources in each chapter, with additional study and essay questions. I love it.

Edited by Amy in TX
edited to add second link

Hi Michelle,

We just did World History this year, so I'll share what we went through....We did all of World History in one year, so using the below texts for spines may look a lot different than using them alone.

We started with Streams of Civilization, Vol. 1. Dd found it quite readable, but the tests.... 20 questions of random facts, and she had no idea which ones they would pick for the tests. No review questions either. We made it to Renaissance, but since they only dedicated a very few pages to that we changed to BJU World History. We did that for 5-6 chapters. BJU was very dry, and had tons of disjointed facts, again, she had to study a lot to do well on their tests. We got to before the industrial revolution in BJU, then changed to Human Odyssey. This book is 1100 pages, in my opinion, there is no way you could do it all in one year, and maybe not even in two if you add anything to it. But, I did notice that dd was learning more with the type of questions they have. We did alright with no keys, she did the section reviews, and the chapter review at the end. For her test, I picked questions from the front of the chapter, and the critical thinking in the review, and did it open book. It wasn't bad, but a whole year of it would be tiring. Maybe less so if there was more time. We only did a few chapters. Human Odyssey was a stretch after only grabbing at random facts in her previous texts, but I was pleased at the type of thinking she was required to do. We are finishing up with Vol. 4 of Story of the World. I know it is easier, but with the activity book, everything is there. She is actually getting more out of this because it is more readable. The activity book has maps and outlines. The outlines are really stretching her (believe it or not). If I had anymore kids, I might go the easier route and get non-textbook history, even if it means easier. My college aged son (homeschooled from K-12) said he remembers the books and completely forgot what he did in textbooks. He said he felt retention meant more and hoped I would do the same for dd.

I just read WTM last summer with an upcoming 10th grader. It was too late to do the four year history rotation, but I think it is a great idea to break it up so you don't have to suffer through 6000+ years of history all in one year! If you do World History in one year, then just pick and choose what to cover, and don't worry about missing things, it is impossible to cover it all!