Menu

what would you do for son's birthday?

My oldest has a birthday this weekend. Usually we have grilled cheeseburgers, homemade buns, homemade carrot cake, homemade ice cream, and get him a gift or give him money. When he was over yesterday, he said he has security detail next weekend so he could not come. It made me a little sad. Between college, ROTC, and National Guard sometimes he can be really busy. Would you ask him about the following weekend? Or maybe just get him a card with a gift card and leave it as a suprise for when he gets home from his tiring weekend? I am not sure if he was saying just forget it he was too busy, or if he was saying just not next weekend. Yesterday was my other son's birthday, so I didn't give the oldest a lot of attention when he came over, we were having a busy day. I know when I moved away from home my family never did anything for my birthday, and my husband's family doesn't do anything for his birthday either. I just don't want him thinking that I don't care, or am too busy for him.

Why not just ask him? "Hey, son. Do you want to reschedule you birthday dinner or just let it go this year? I would love to have a family dinner for you, but I know you are really busy too. What would work best for you?"

That lets him know he is loved and honored but not obligated.

Why not just ask him? "Hey, son. Do you want to reschedule you birthday dinner or just let it go this year? I would love to have a family dinner for you, but I know you are really busy too. What would work best for you?"

That lets him know he is loved and honored but not obligated.

:iagree:

If he can't fit the celebration in, maybe you could still make the homemade cake and ice cream and take it to him if he lives close enough? Maybe include his favorite casserole that he eat at his convenience. I know I would have loved a home cooked meal when I was newly out on my own...(heck I wouldn't refuse one now!)