Menu

Going back to college - tuition fees are crazy!

After 9 years, I'm returning to college. Only, I don't know if I can handle the fees tacked onto the per-credit fee.

It's $134 per credit, and then an additional $572 mandatory fee per semester:

Institutional Fee $200.00

Athletic Fee $92.00

Technology Fee $50.00

Student Activity Fee $48.00

Health Fee $26.00

Recreation Center Fee $42.00

Transportation Fee $60.00

Global Learning Fee $14.00

Land Acquisition Fee $40.00

Total Fees $572.00

I can have them waive the health fee with proof I have personal health insurance, so my mandatory fee will now be $546. Woo.

I wanted to take 2 classes which is 6 credits, a credit fee of $804. And now I find out I have to pay $546 on top of that, for a total of $1350. I could possibly take only one class but the mandatory semester fee is the same whether I'm taking 1 credit or 15 credits. It seems like it's a better deal to take as many credits as possible to save money in the end. Rats!

I thought CLEP was only for people who had an extensive knowledge of a subject. I would have to study the CLEP exam book. It would be cheaper than completing the course, but it might not be easy for me. It's something to look into.

Every time I think of these fees, my head spins!

Yes, I'm going to complete the FAFSA and see if I can get any financial aid. It doesn't hurt to try. Georgia has the HOPE scholarship that will pay for tuition and $150 (I think that amount) towards books. I'm positive I can get that, but I don't know for how many courses. It's only good for a certain number of credits and I'm not sure of the maximum amount.

I thought CLEP was only for people who had an extensive knowledge of a subject. I would have to study the CLEP exam book. It would be cheaper than completing the course, but it might not be easy for me. It's something to look into.

If your college accepts them, CLEPs are a great, cheap way to get college credit. You don't need to have "extensive knowledge of the subject," you just need to pass the test. :D

Find out which CLEPs your college accepts (including any restrictions on using CLEPs for courses required by your major), and what the minimum scores are (some colleges require higher scores than what the College Board considers "passing"). Some CLEPs are easier than others (Sociology & Psychology are supposed to be among the easier ones), but many people are able to pass them with just a few weeks of study using a prep book. CLEPs are much easier than the AP exams ~ they're only 90 minutes long and mostly multiple choice questions. And they only cost $77 ~ waaay cheaper than paying for a 3-credit class!

Jackie