Menu

what writing program should I use

Eln

Maybe you can help me out with some ideas for next school year.

I want to add more writing into our school schedule. I love Rod and Staff, so I want to use that for grammar. I think I've decided to use Writing With Ease for my 2nd grader and my 4th grader, but I'm not sure what to use for my 6th grader. Classical Writing looks awesome, but I wouldn't want to use the grammar book they suggest. Is it possible not to use that?

Wasn't impressed with Writing Strands. I think IEW is too pricey. Writing Tales looks interesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

JudoMom recommended listening to SWB elementary writing program on one of my threads. I listened to both the elementary and the middle grade years and found both to be very helpful! I feel completely prepared to take on writing next year.

Writing With Ease covers all that is in the elementary lecture linked here. However, for the 6th grader, you can always see if he/she could use a run-through of WWE. If he/she is beyond that, check out the next lecture in the above linked series, for middle grades logic stage: it's linked in my signature. Good stuff! And perfect alongside R&S for grammar.

You do not have to use that grammar with Homer. My ds9 is doing Aesop this year and we are using JAG. Next year he'll do Homer and we'll probably finish JAG and then move into AG. I know Heather (Siloam) uses JAG/AG too. We are enjoying CW, I would recommend it.

Thanks for the help! I definitely want to listen to SWB writing lectures. I was at the Midwest Convention and got to listen to some of her work shops.Unfortunately she didn't give the writing lectures. She is very inspiring. That will probably help me decide how I want to teach writing with my 6th grader. :)

Both my boys are VERY reluctant writers. Someone here suggest Imitation in Writing, and it has worked very well for us this year. There is a short paragraph that the kids write in outline form (each sentence is numbered) and then later they rewrite it from their outline. It has been really helpful as a huge problem was "I don't know what to write about". Problem solved! Really, it provides the basic structure they need to be able to get started, and I've found they are even starting to add some of their own details to their rewrites. I'd love to transition into IEW, but this has been a great place to start for us, especially since it was our first year. We just couldn't handle comlicated this year.

Can he give a pretty good WTM style narration or summary? The website suggests starting him in Homer A, further down on this page ~ http://www.classicalwriting.com/Placement.htm ~ if can handle a longer narrative, and he has mastered all the grammar in Aesop A and B. If he's completed R&S 5 his grammar he's certainly been through all the grammar of Aesop. (R&S 4 may well cover it too, I haven't used that level.)

I chose to have my oldest back up to Aesop when he first started with CW. Reluctant writer was an understatement. I knew Aesop wouldn't challenge him with it's grammar or workload, so he could just focus on the writing skills. It worked. Apparently there was a great writer hiding inside him just waiting to be discovered, and he ripped right through Aesop. Now he'll say writing is fun. :)

Maybe you can help me out with some ideas for next school year.

I want to add more writing into our school schedule. I love Rod and Staff, so I want to use that for grammar. I think I've decided to use Writing With Ease for my 2nd grader and my 4th grader, but I'm not sure what to use for my 6th grader. Classical Writing looks awesome, but I wouldn't want to use the grammar book they suggest. Is it possible not to use that?

Wasn't impressed with Writing Strands. I think IEW is too pricey. Writing Tales looks interesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

I'm in a similar situation, and I think I'm going to buy IEW Ancients. The price is good, and I've read that there's a fair amount of instruction in the teachers manual and can be taught without watching the dvd set. I chose Ancients because that's where we'll be in the fall, but there are other topics to choose from. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/theme-based-writing-1.

If you haven't listened to Susan's writing lectures, they are totally worth it. Getting all three is nice so you can see where you are going with her program. They were very helpful for me.

I agree. It really put me at ease as I was stressing that my 3rd grader should be doing more creative writing. I just listened to the first one for elementary and it was great and even gave a brief outline for the upper years.

Is Writing With Ease just narration and copy work? Or is that just for the early grades? Could I start it with a 10yo who doesn't like writing? Another question... Do I need both the Fundamentals and a workbook?

Any help is appreciated :)

I'm in a similar situation, and I think I'm going to buy IEW Ancients. The price is good, and I've read that there's a fair amount of instruction in the teachers manual and can be taught without watching the dvd set. I chose Ancients because that's where we'll be in the fall, but there are other topics to choose from. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/theme-based-writing-1.

We are finishing up the Ancients right now, and it was really easy to teach.

Is Writing With Ease just narration and copy work? Or is that just for the early grades? Could I start it with a 10yo who doesn't like writing? Another question... Do I need both the Fundamentals and a workbook?

Our ds age 10, but he was 9 when he started WWE ... a late reader and very reluctant writer, but now he's getting better is on WWE Level 2. It's working out very well. Narration, copywork ... dictation starts at level 2. Yes, I would think you could start with a 10-year-old who doesn't like writing. We only use the Workbooks. HTH.

JudoMom recommended listening to SWB elementary writing program on one of my threads. I listened to both the elementary and the middle grade years and found both to be very helpful! I feel completely prepared to take on writing next year.

I need to do this. I'm so not an audio/listening person. I need to sit down and listen. Thanks for the reminder. BTW, LOVE your avatar. :D

Any help is appreciated :)

Why doesn't the 10yo like writing? If it's because he doesn't know what to say or how to get it on paper, then yes, WWE would be great. It shows you, step by step, how to help him get his thoughts (about his reading) into words, and his words onto paper, with proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and spacing.

Some people use just the workbooks. Some of us use just the textbook and find our own reading from which to do the exercises. I like this flexibility, plus I liked only having to buy one book instead of four.

I'm not sure what to use for my 6th grader. Writing Tales looks interesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

WT may be too easy for your 6th grader. It was for mine. Nice program, however.

Apologia Jump In is working out quite nicely. :D

I am excited to start Hands-on Essays in a year or two. We have it. Just haven't used it yet. Keep hearing wonderful things about it. These two sites help me a lot.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=663

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/hands-on-essays.htm

Other programs that I am considering:

Classical Writing

Imitation in Writing

Meaningful Composition

And for later ...

Teaching the Essay and Research Paper

Format Writing

Write Shop

I have not yet found a writing program that I absolutely love. Jump In is the closest so far, but I honestly hate teaching writing, and would, if I could, gladly pay someone to do so. No resources like that here. Writing is so subjective to grade and a complete and utter headache. :banghead:

Our ds age 10, but he was 9 when he started WWE ... a late reader and very reluctant writer, but now he's getting better is on WWE Level 2. It's working out very well. Narration, copywork ... dictation starts at level 2. Yes, I would think you could start with a 10-year-old who doesn't like writing. We only use the Workbooks. HTH.

Thank you for your help, Negin! Did you start him at 9 with Level 1? I'm wondering if I should start with Level 1 because there is a particular format that needs to be followed or can I jump into any level?

So just using the workbooks was enough for your son...that's good to know. The less books I need to get the better. Is the Strong Fundamentals book basically a teacher manual and explains the theory behind the program?

Is the Strong Fundamentals book basically a teacher manual and explains the theory behind the program?

It explains the theory, but it also tells you what to do, section by section, each year for four years. Each section has a sample week, so you know what pattern to use. You can use this without having to buy the workbooks, selecting your own reading from which to write narrations/dictations/copywork.

Thank you for your help, Negin! Did you start him at 9 with Level 1? I'm wondering if I should start with Level 1 because there is a particular format that needs to be followed or can I jump into any level?

So just using the workbooks was enough for your son...that's good to know. The less books I need to get the better. Is the Strong Fundamentals book basically a teacher manual and explains the theory behind the program?

Yes, he started at level 1 at the age of almost 10. It was quite easy for him, but I'm glad we started there. You can certainly start at level 2. And for us, as well as for many, the workbooks are sufficient. I don't know much about the Strong Fundamentals book. I think it's more of a teacher manual, more theoretical-based.

It explains the theory, but it also tells you what to do, section by section, each year for four years. Each section has a sample week, so you know what pattern to use. You can use this without having to buy the workbooks, selecting your own reading from which to write narrations/dictations/copywork.

Colleen, your input has been most helpful, also! It's nice to have a place to share what we have done and know about to help others...especially if it saves us money and hairloss from worrying :001_smile: I will probably just get a workbook....Thank you so much!

Colleen, your input has been most helpful, also! It's nice to have a place to share what we have done and know about to help others...especially if it saves us money and hairloss from worrying :001_smile: I will probably just get a workbook....Thank you so much!

Because you mentioned saving money, I just want to clarify something in case I didn't make it clear enough. If you use the workbook only, you'll end up having to buy workbooks for each level as you progress. If you use the text/teacher manual only, you only have to buy that once, and it suffices for all four levels. So, if you are trying to save money, I recommend just getting the teacher text instead of the workbook/s.

You're welcome!:)