Menu

Algebra recommendations?

I am hoping you all can recommend the best Algebra program for my ds. We have been using LOF Beginning Algebra all year, but he seems to have hit a wall half-way through. He loves the story, and I love the creative word problems, but the explanations aren't explicit or clear enough, and doesn't offer enough practice with the math concepts before jumping into applying them to word problems. I would like to add another, more comprehensive program as a foundation, while using LOF on the side.

Jacob's, Lial's, Foerster's, Art of Problem Solving, MUS, TT... Help!

Here are my criteria:

- clear, easy to understand explanations (so many texts use technical language that speaks over kids' heads)

- explicit, step-by-step working through problems

- sufficient practice and continual review of concepts

- clear building upon and relationships between concepts

- explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems (no "here's how to do the equation, now figure out how to apply it to a word problem"--show me how!)

- worked-out solutions to all or most problems

- solid preparation for SAT, sciences, college level math

My ds enjoys math and is good at it, but does not think outside the box and has difficulty applying what he knows to new situations. I need a program to give him a solid foundation, while providing guided practice in using his skills in a variety of types of problems.

Thanks!

Asmaa

I think your plan of doing LOF on the side along with something else is a good one, since it's great to help dc learn to think outside the box. Are you also using the Home Companion for extra practice?

Lial's is a good option to work with LOF. Get the one Jann in TX suggests (we had the wrong one, but it still had many merits).

Jacobs is very gentle and has a lot of good points. It was too gentle for my eldest who does well thinking outside the box.

We have a used Foerster's, but haven't used it, so I can't comment on it.

We liked the old Algebra 1 by Dociani called Structure and Method.

TT My eldest found it too easy and boring, but my middle one enjoys it because it's easy. She's doing it along with LOF Beginning Algebra. TT Algebra 1 starts off at an easier level with some pre-Algebra at the beginning. We only have the books. It's not my favourite curricula for my dc, but there are many who swear by it.

MUS We've only used up to Zeta and one lecture on pre-Algebra. From what I understand, I wouldn't use it alone, but it may work along with LOF if your ds needs those visuals & manipulatives. We have never used MUS alone because when we tried that way back it wasn't enough for the dd I was using it with (every dc is so different) so I think the combination might work. The one lecture we used for pre-Algebra helped dd with one specific area she was balking at showing me the steps. She did those problems using Mr. Demme's steps (slightly different, but still solved the problems with logic.)

I've never looked at the Art of Problem Solving since my eldest also did some of Gelfand's Algebra. We've sold Jacob's, but we're garnering quite the collection of Algebra books, which was not my original plan. I'm keeping all that I have until all of my dc are finished with Algebra 1, but plan to have both of my younger dc do LOF Beginning Algebra and then do it again with something else. My eldest was already done Algebra 1 before we bought any of it.

my son started using it at the recommendation of Jann in TX. I'm not a math person so I needed something he could work pretty independently with. He loves it and is doing well, especially since this is not his best subject. He likes the way it's laid out and the directions are very easy to understand and broken down step by step. The Student Solution's manual has the answer to the odd problems for the exercises all worked out and all the answers for the Review and Tests all worked out. It's laid out easy for the eyes. The practice problems are in the margins and in the exercises it is marked to which practice problem they apply. There are also cummulative reviews for chapter groups which is helpful if your child has been struggling a little. My only regret is that I didn't know about this when my son started Alg 1. If I had we would have used it then and his SAT score would have been better.

I am on my second trip through algebra (as a teacher, third as a student!). First ds used Thinkwell with the DVDs. Very engaging, entertaining lecturer, but he needed a bit more support. I got Foerster's for second ds and it's really, really good. Teacher's edition has all answers, it introduces word problems and proofs right from the beginning. Proofs are important because first ds, who is interested in math at the college level, noted they were a bit missing from Thinkwell, and almost totally missing from Lial's, We used Lial's Algebra 2 and Trig and Precalculus. They were excellent preparation for calculus, but not as much for theoretical math, which he kind of learns on his own.

Foerster's also has reviews at the end of every problem set after chapter 2, (there are 14 chapters) which are very helpful. That said, I'm not sure how Foerster's would work for a self-teacher.

Well...the question of who is teaching whom is definitely a vital part of the equation. Ds is primarily teaching himself, but needs some guidance, guidance I cannot provide since I never completed Algebra I myself. As long as the problems mirror the examples in the text, and/or the solutions are completely worked out, I can help him. Otherwise, I am just as lost as he. My dh is supposed to have taken over math, but has very little time to do so, and when he does, he teaches ds to approach the problem the way he would, not necessarily the way LOF has taught, which can be confusing (at least to me).

So...I am looking for something that can be self-taught to a great extent, and has clear enough explanations and thoroughly worked out examples and solutions so that both of us can follow it :tongue_smilie:

This is why I was originally leaning toward a computer-based or DVD-based program, such as MUS. I had also considered the Math Tutor DVDs. Are they any good?

Asmaa

Well...the question of who is teaching whom is definitely a vital part of the equation. Ds is primarily teaching himself, but needs some guidance, guidance I cannot provide since I never completed Algebra I myself. As long as the problems mirror the examples in the text, and/or the solutions are completely worked out, I can help him. Otherwise, I am just as lost as he. My dh is supposed to have taken over math, but has very little time to do so, and when he does, he teaches ds to approach the problem the way he would, not necessarily the way LOF has taught, which can be confusing (at least to me).

So...I am looking for something that can be self-taught to a great extent, and has clear enough explanations and thoroughly worked out examples and solutions so that both of us can follow it :tongue_smilie:

This is why I was originally leaning toward a computer-based or DVD-based program, such as MUS. I had also considered the Math Tutor DVDs. Are they any good?

Asmaa

Dd self teaches, but she learns well by reading and by looking at diagrams & practise problems. Although we didn't use it because she doesn't like it, there are DVD lectures for Lial's. Be sure to get the same edition as the text. We haven't seen Math Tutor DVDs, but have looked at Chalkdust (there is a cheaper way to get it, but you don't get the teacher support) and VideoText. We opted for something else.

One thing I do like about TT Algebra 1 is that it has the Solution CDs. They show step-by-step how to work out each problem. Just as with any other math program, you can move forward as quickly as your child understands it! If it's easy, skip some and move forward. The solution cd's are neat to build the understanding, and a good base, so they truly understand how it's done. Once they get it, they can move on more quickly, yet understand what they're doing and why.

I prefer moving a little slower to build the base, and work on understanding what and why they're doing something, than do a more rigorous book that they can learn the formulas for, but not understand completely, so when they move to something else, they're not sure what to do.

I'm not saying TT is the one that will work, because there are so many kids and so many programs and many programs COULD work. I'm just saying why we are using TT with dd and why it is working for her. I'm not that great at math, so those solution cd's really help us when we get stuck!

We just switched from Chalkdust Algebra 1 to TT. Ds & I are both a lot happier. I have been very disappointed the few times we contacted Chalkdust for help. I can teach him but I have 2 other children and when we have to spend 3 hours on just his math it is to much. The solution guide made me want to scream.

I came home from work tonight at 8:30pm to find ds working on his TT. :001_smile:

Here are my criteria:

- clear, easy to understand explanations (so many texts use technical language that speaks over kids' heads)

- explicit, step-by-step working through problems

- sufficient practice and continual review of concepts

- clear building upon and relationships between concepts

- explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems (no "here's how to do the equation, now figure out how to apply it to a word problem"--show me how!)

- worked-out solutions to all or most problems

- solid preparation for SAT, sciences, college level math

We used MUS Algebra and LoF Algebra last year. MUS was easy. I don't recommend it for a student going into math, science, engineering fields. LoF didn't mesh well with ds's learning style.

This year, we completed Foerster's Algebra. I LOVED it. Clear, thorough, rigorous. It has a solutions manual. Ds mostly self-taught, but I have a degree in math and helped when necessary. You can get Math without Borders DVDs, I hear. It meets all your criteria.

TT (work is WAY below algebra I level)

VT (oddly arranged and too few practice problems)

Foerster (loved it, great problems and solutions, good presentation, I studied the lessons with my son).

Since your son will be working independently, I would consider chalkdust. I haven't used it but IF I was in your shoes, that's the one I would go to. The comments are very positive and it is college-prep level, from all reports.