Menu

Budget Busters--Hair and skincare alternatives

I've been working steadily to get grocery and incidental costs down and now what's sticking out like a sore thumb on my budget are hair and skincare costs. The products we're currently using now work well, but they aren't cheap.

Anyone have suggestions for replacements for the following:

I have really, really oily skin on my face and use Clinique Oily skin soap and toner and it makes a huge difference in keeping away breakouts. I am an allergic type with sensitive skin and almost always hate products with perfumy scents. If the choice is between paying for skincare or paying to treat acne, I'll choose the skincare but it would be nice to find something cheaper.

Salon shampoo and conditioner--There are three of us still using salon products--me with normal hair/sensitive skin/aversion to scents, one kid with fine hair, and one with very coarse/dry/frizzy hair.

Anytime I've tried store products I've wound up back to the salon products because our hair always looked and/or felt so much worse.

Thanks for any ideas. There are so many haircair products on the market I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I've thought about reducing these costs as well. But my take on them - I only by these things every few months. If I had to replace all my make-up it would be very expensive. But I only buy each thing every 4-6 months. I don't buy something every month and I've never bought 2 thing in one week. So I still buy the same stuff.

Same thing with shampoo and conditioner. I only buy it every 4-6 months. Same thing with skincare. I buy it so rarely, I'm still going to buy what works. I can still fit it into the grocery budget that week as well.

Same thing with shampoo and conditioner. I only buy it every 4-6 months. Same thing with skincare. I buy it so rarely, I'm still going to buy what works. I can still fit it into the grocery budget that week as well.

That's where I'm at with skincare especially. It goes far because I'm only using it on face and neck, but if I could find something that works for less cost, I'd be good with that. :) I also won't mess with my one kid was getting terrible itchy scalp and dandruff until we found the right combination. I'm okay with paying more as the prescription costs are much higher, not to mention I don't want him using a rx steroid rinse frequently.

But with three of us using salon shampoo and conditioner, it does add up. The kids use Biolage and I usually buy that when they have specials at the Walmart salon stores.

Allure magazine has a readers choice poll. They have both department store and drug store winners for each category. I have tried several of their drug store suggestions for hair care and cosmetics and have not been disappointed yet. I bought many of the drug store recommendations at Wal-mart or CVS with the extra bucks money.

The link for the Readers Choice Awards is in the middle of the website, 2/3 of the way down:

http://www.allure.com/

Salon shampoo and conditioner--There are three of us still using salon products--me with normal hair/sensitive skin/aversion to scents, one kid with fine hair, and one with very coarse/dry/frizzy hair.

Anytime I've tried store products I've wound up back to the salon products because our hair always looked and/or felt so much worse.

I'm sorry I don't have any help to offer. My hair is so much healthier since I stopped using Suave and started using Redken. My hair is very short, so I don't use much product and only purchase maybe 3 times/year.

I would like to ask what products you currently use for the children above? Sounds just like my girls and I'm having a hard time finding something that works.

Thanks forthe ideas, everyone!

Laura, for both the fine and coarse-haired kids, I'm using Biolage Normalizing Shampoo for normal to oily hair and Biolage Cooling Mint Conditioner. I'd tried a few other conditioners but this surprisingly has worked for both and makes life simpler for me. My daughter has the long, fine hair and she benefits from using another shampoo occasionally so I just have her use her brother's Neutrogena every now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some searching and experimenting and wanted to pass my findings along in case it will help anyone else.

I took a look at the ingredient list for the Clinique toner I've been using and discovered that only four were needed and the rest were preservatives and coloring. Witch hazel, denatured alcohol, water, and salycillic acid are all that should be needed if it were to be made in small quantities.

Witch hazel is readily available in stores for around $3. I found it next to the rubbing alcohol in our pharmacies. There are versions sold for around $10 but those are combinations with other ingredients. I've tried witch hazel alone before and it just doesn't cut it for me, which is too bad because it's so inexpensive.

Denatured alcohol--the type used in skincare products seems to be ethanol with additives to make it nonconsumable . I tried a cheap option first which was ethyl rubbing alcohol but it was too medicinal smelling for my taste. I wound up going with vodka (yes, the drinkable stuff) 750 ml on sale for $9. It does have an initial vodka-y alcohol smell but it fades quickly. You could add fragrance, if you like, but I prefer products without scent.

Water--I just used tap but distilled would be purer.

Salicylic Acid--My face is really oily and prone to break outs so I decided to include this. The easiest version I could come up with locally was white willow bark extract--$14 at the health food store. I just used a few drops so it will last.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Willow-Bark-Alcohol-Ounces/dp/B0011WGNF2/ref=pd_ybh_2?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MK2N74A9JHFZN5E1K41

I still need to play around with the proportions because my first versions seem a little too strong, but so far I'm pleased with the results. Total cost was $25 and the vodka and white willow extract will go a long way. I'll need to replenish the witch hazel much sooner but thankfully it's the cheapest.

Thanks again for the ideas. One down, two to go. :)

Edited by Pippen

Grow rosemary.

Cut a big bunch of it. Wash it, and immerse it in a big soup pot of water.

Heat to boiling, and slowly boil for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat, cover, and let it slowly come back to room temperature. This will take hours, steeping the rosemary all the time.

Strain.

Pour into quart jars. Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to each jar. Refridgerate until use.

To use, microwave about 1 1/2 cups to lukewarm. Pour over your hair after you wash it and rinse it. Do not rinse out. It smells strong when you pour it, but the smell does not remain in your hair.

Paula Begoin (in the first edition of "Don't got to the cosmetics counter without me") recommended hydrogen peroxide as an anti-acne treatment similar to benzoyl peroxide but much cheaper. My dd uses it and it works well, getting rid of acne within 4 days or so. In subsequent editions, Paula Begoin now says it is too damaging and she no longer recommends it, but we use it anyway because the price is right.

Does anyone in your house have curly hair? Google "flax seed gel" for curly hair and you'll find a terrific recipe for a very cheap gel for curls.