Menu

Brewing Tea (the beverage!)

For as long as I can remember, I thought water had to boil before you pour it over the tea leaves.

Recently someone has challenged my assumption and said it should be hot but not boiling yet.

I usually brew Rooibos from the "leaves" (that look more like rice) but I suspect this is irrelevant. The all important question on this rainy afternoon is: Should the water boil? :001_smile:

I try to compromise. I allow it to boil, then cool a minute before pouring it over the tea to steep. Or, I bring it just to the point of boiling, but don't allow it to begin a full, rolling boil.

Slightly less heat is better, but in recent years, many tea leaves have been contaminated with E. Coli, etc., so it's better to be safe than sorry (and I've drunk tea that's made me very, very sick in past)......

For as long as I can remember, I thought water had to boil before you pour it over the tea leaves.

Recently someone has challenged my assumption and said it should be hot but not boiling yet.

I usually brew Rooibos from the "leaves" (that look more like rice) but I suspect this is irrelevant. The all important question on this rainy afternoon is: Should the water boil? :001_smile:

You're both right! It depends on the type of tea you're making. Some teas do best when the water is boiling and some do best if you catch the water just before it boils.

I boil for black teas such as my particular favorite morning beverage, Irish Breakfast.

For green tea, I think it's supposed to be just shy of the boil. I would think that rooiboos would be in a similar category. I don't like green (or rooiboos, for that matter :001_smile:)so I rarely make these. I'm not speaking from experience; it's just what I've read.

I use a tea ball and make it by the cup for my morning tea and preheat the cup on cold days. I always preheat the pot for company and I always cover while steeping, company or no. I do it to preserve the heat. I like it nice and hot, though.

You're both right! It depends on the type of tea you're making. Some teas do best when the water is boiling and some do best if you catch the water just before it boils.

Exactly. My green tea and my herbal teas from my favorite tea shop are supposed to be brewed with hot but not quite boiling water. My black tea and black tea blends are supposed to be brewed with boiling water.

It seems to me that water just slightly below the boiling point does a better job for flavor. Maybe I'm crazy. I don't steep long with good teas, either. It seems to me that steeping too long results in more bitterness. I tend to like to steep in glass, too, although I do have an iron pot now.....

Here's a bit of info. I just googled about temps, etc.:

About Water Temperature

The water temperature does not have to be exact. The main thing to remember is to not use boiling water for Green or White teas. They will burn and create bitter flavors.

A good way to guess at the water temperature without a thermometer is to bring the water to a boil, and wait about 30 seconds (for white tea) or 60 seconds (for green tea) before pouring over the leaves.

About Steep Times

The amount of time that the tea steeps will determine it's strength. I enjoy different teas at varying strengths. I would suggest that when you buy a new tea, as it is steeping, check the taste every minute with a spoon. This way you can blow on it so you won't burn your tongue!

Let the first cup steep until it's either too strong or you notice bitter elements that are unpleasant. Then take note of when the tea tastes best to you and write it on the package. Besides, who can tell you how you like your tea better than you!

General Guidlines

Tea Water Temperature Steep Time

Green Tea 160 degrees F 1 - 3 minutes

White Tea 180 degrees F 4 - 8 minutes

Oolong Tea 190 degrees F 1 - 8 minutes

Black Tea Rolling Boil 3 - 5 minutes

Herbal (tisanes) Rolling Boil 5 - 8 minutes

I use a tea ball and make it by the cup for my morning tea and preheat the cup on cold days. I always preheat the pot for company and I always cover while steeping, company or no. I do it to preserve the heat. I like it nice and hot, though.

How do you warm up the tea pot? Pouring hot water inside and letting it sit while the water for the tea heats up?

I always make a pot of rooibos in the evening for all of us but have never warmed the pot. I like to learn something new now and then! Thank you. :)