Menu

Jacob's Elementary Algebra (x post)

Well, my dd is using this this year and has enjoyed it overall. She apparently gets the author's way of thinking. It seems he tries to teach the student to think for themselves and the way the material is presented they somewhat have to figure out how things work before they are told formulas. This is a pro to some and a con to others.

The commentary is light, as in there are comics included throughout the text. Not light in content though.

There are 3 sets of problems to do each day and you can pick and choose from them. They are grouped as review, average difficulty problems from today's lesson, and then more challenging problems. There are also 4 tests for each chapter. I like this because I am going for a certain proficiency and my dd must make 90% on a test to move on to the next chapter.

The set II answers are in the back of the book, but the other answers are in a separate answer key. I think I heard someone say they are coming out with a solution manual, but I haven't seen it. We have not needed it yet and I'm no math whiz.

HTH

Edited by Julieofsardis

It worked here for my 6th-8th grader. She was actually able to do much of this on her own. We did not buy the tests. We used the end of chapter review for the tests. This worked fine because there are 2 sets so I could always give the second set if she needed review. We're now moving on to Jacob's Geometry.

We loved Jacobs Algebra.

Pros: Interesting text, problem sets extend understanding, thorough coverage of material

Cons: No solutions manual, limited choices for DVD presentation of material (if you need that), Jacobs doesn't have an algebra II book

Well...we're wading through our third week of this text and struggling.

Pro: includes review (first Set of problems), challenge problem (Set IV) and dd likes the cartoon

Con: explanation of concepts is incredibly light (IMO almost ridiculously so). I loved math and did very well in it yet when I read her text I can't believe so little explanation is provided. I have to sit with my dd at the beginning of each lesson and go over it with her, add more explanation, basically "flesh out" the concepts. She has always been good at math so that's not an issue. Once I am able to help her she does fine with the problem sets, thank goodness. I would switch but I'm tired of looking at math books and figure as long as she's getting it (even if it involves a lot of my time) we'll stick with it. I do like that it will challenge her to think through concepts more on her own, yet I personally feel it provides too little in the way of explanation.

We do have the solutions manual but have not needed it yet. We also have the Dr. Callahan DVDs which are a joke - serious waste of $.

Well...we're wading through our third week of this text and struggling.

Pro: includes review (first Set of problems), challenge problem (Set IV) and dd likes the cartoon

Con: explanation of concepts is incredibly light (IMO almost ridiculously so). I loved math and did very well in it yet when I read her text I can't believe so little explanation is provided. I have to sit with my dd at the beginning of each lesson and go over it with her, add more explanation, basically "flesh out" the concepts. She has always been good at math so that's not an issue. Once I am able to help her she does fine with the problem sets, thank goodness. I would switch but I'm tired of looking at math books and figure as long as she's getting it (even if it involves a lot of my time) we'll stick with it. I do like that it will challenge her to think through concepts more on her own, yet I personally feel it provides too little in the way of explanation.

We do have the solutions manual but have not needed it yet. We also have the Dr. Callahan DVDs which are a joke - serious waste of $.

You see this is what I have a hard time judging sometimes, because math comes naturally for me. My kids are not mathy and need things to be thoroughly and well explained. The Singapore explanations are not enough, but the Right Start are and after doing Right Start they can do the Singapore texts, even without reading the textbook (though I still make 'em). I need something like Right Start but for Algebra. :D

Heather

Same here! I wish Dr. Cotter had written Algebraic Approach! That would at least buy me some time! Do let me know what you decide! We're finishing up RS E in a month. Then we'll do SM5a/5b and 6a/6b - not sure how long that will take. And then probably RS Geo and VT mod A (picked it up for great price used so might as well try it) or Docliani Accelerated Course and then perhaps move onto Forester's Alg which I also picked up for a great price used. 8FillstheHeart said that MUS alg 1 (or perhaps pre-alg1) was a great entry point into Forester's. At some point, I need to spend a week going through VTA and Foerster's. What I don't want is a program that teaches invert and multiply w/out giving the student the whys behind why that works. I want my kids to understand conceptually how it works.

Capt_Uhura

Here is where you can find the Jacobs Solutions Manual.

I am using RS with my math-challenged second child and have wondered what to do after we finish Level E (not using the Geometric level). I've heard good things about Hands On Equations and am considering using it with her.

Give it a look see and tell me what you think. :001_smile:

Already own and plan to use it before I start an algebra text. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like a years worth of work. I suspect she will be able to do it in about 3 months. But I think it will be time well spent. So far she gets the algebra type problems in RS E. I think HOE will just reinforce it. That is why I'm not really looking for a pre-algebra course.

Heather

So far she gets the algebra type problems in RS E. I think HOE will just reinforce it. That is why I'm not really looking for a pre-algebra course.

I'm glad you mentioned this...had no idea that HOE was a pre-algebra course. I'm interested in seeing what others recommend for algebra.

Have you looked into Jacobs Algebra? Others recommend it for visual spatial learners.

I'm glad you mentioned this...had no idea that HOE was a pre-algebra course. I'm interested in seeing what others recommend for algebra.

Have you looked into Jacobs Algebra? Others recommend it for visual spatial learners.

Yep, own that one too. :D

I like the way it is laid out, but the reviews coming in are that the explanations might be a little short. Good for the math intuitive (me) but not good for the anti-intuitive (my kids).

Right now I am learning towards using VT as our main program and Singapore as a secondary, more challenging program. But that is subject to change. What I really need to do is sit down and work through each of the books myself. I just don't have the time right now.

Heather