Menu

Tried the new church for Easter today....

and it was WONDERFUL! It was a much smaller church and EVERYONE was so nice and welcoming! They knew right when I went through the front door that we were new to their church. They also had a time during the service where you met everyone around you....very nice!

I plan to go back next Sunday for their 'contemporary' service.....now can anyone explain the differences in their contemporary service vs. their 'traditional' service. I will guess and say maybe they have more modern music....and maybe a 'younger' crowd?

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement....to step out of my box! I will definitely be going back!

Tammy,

I know I didn't see your original post, but that's wonderful that you found a nice church! The difference between the contemporary and traditional service is as you guessed: the contemporary will have more praise songs instrumentals like guitar and drums and could also have singing lead by a group of singers. The traditional service will have more traditional hymns, accompanient from a piano and organ and singing lead by a choir. Each church interprets "contemporary" and "traditional" a bit differently, so there may be some overlap between the two worship styles. The pastor's message will probably be the same in both services.

Have a great week,

Lisa

I plan to go back next Sunday for their 'contemporary' service.....now can anyone explain the differences in their contemporary service vs. their 'traditional' service. I will guess and say maybe they have more modern music....and maybe a 'younger' crowd?

Most of the contemporary services I've been to have a younger crowd, and they tend to dress more casually than the traditional service, but that depends more on individual churches. They tend to have newer music, sometimes with the words projected on a wall, sometimes with songsheets (depends on the congregation). Try it out and see what happens!

Depends on the church and denomination. At our church, which is Presbyterian, the traditional service follows the liturgy (Google if this is an unfamiliar term) and uses hymns from a traditional hymnal. The pastor and choir wear robes. The contemporary service is less structured and more casual and uses contemporary praise music. The pastor wears a suit and tie and the praise band/choir wear pretty much whatever they want.

In general, the older members prefer the traditional service and the younger members prefer the contemporary service. However, like most generalizations, there are exceptions.

Edited by Janet in WA

Hi, Tammy: Just popping in to say that I'm so pleased it went well today and you feel good about it. What a difference a week makes, huh?

I agree with what the other posters said about what a contemporary service is: music more contemporary, more casual dress likely. Chances are, someone will get in touch with you during the week to follow up on your visit to church today and that might be a good time to ask those questions.

Again, glad it was a positive experience...and, what did you ds think of it?

and it was WONDERFUL! It was a much smaller church and EVERYONE was so nice and welcoming! They knew right when I went through the front door that we were new to their church. They also had a time during the service where you met everyone around you....very nice!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement....to step out of my box! I will definitely be going back!

Generally a contemporary service will have things like guitars, drums, more praise music that is on the radio as opposed to hymns. More laid back.

I am so glad you found a Church you like! That is what happened to us in Michigan. We went to a small little out of the way Church and it was the best decision we ever made! I know what you mean when you said everybody knew you were new. That happened and everybody came and welcomed us and introduced themselves. So awesome~! Then we moved to Wyoming and after going to a Church that had a bad split we found a Church like our Church in Michigan again! Once again, everybody came and introduced us and immediatly made us feel welcome! A smaller Church will for sure feel more like a Church family! Congrats!

I know what you mean when you said everybody knew you were new. That happened and everybody came and welcomed us and introduced themselves. So awesome~! Then we moved to Wyoming and after going to a Church that had a bad split we found a Church like our Church in Michigan again! Once again, everybody came and introduced us and immediatly made us feel welcome! A smaller Church will for sure feel more like a Church family! Congrats!

We left our mega church after 8 years and no one knew we left. :confused: It was just so mega-huge that you'd never know if your friends were there but in different services than you. The first time we visited our new church, which isn't tiny really, but medium I'd guess, one of the first things that struck us was that all the elders especially knew we were visitors and made a point of introducing us. Then they recognized us on subsequent visits. It's a very nice feeling to think the leadership of the church, not just lay members, knows your name and cares when you are not there.

I'm glad you had a great day!