Menu

Homeschooling w/ Chronic Health Problems-long

OK, I'm coming clean. I'll admit I read a lot of the posts about Chronic Health problems because I have them. I don't usually share them, probably because I don't want to sound like a whiner (none of you sound like whiners) and I try to pretend I'm fine. Kind of a denial technique :blush: I have Endometriosis and had surgery 3 years ago (my 2nd for the disease). The girls were 6 and 3 so while I was frustrated, I felt like 1st grade wasn't something to worry about. Don't ask me how many days we schooled that year, I was just glad we made it. Fast forward and I started having problems again in November. I got worse in December and had to admit to myself that the Endo was back and I would need another surgery. To say this semester has been rough is an understatement. It's one of the reasons we switched to MFW (a Godsend BTW). I had surgery on Feb 26th and thought all the time missed that month would be no big deal and we'd be up and running by March. Except, the surgery wasn't a success. I have to have a 2nd surgery on April 16th :sad: We are barely making it. We did 2 days this week.

I'm trying not to be overwhelmed, my girls read so well, love books and I know Charlotte Mason said that was enough, but I feel like we should Homeschool over the summer to make up the work. Math is and always has been a HUGE issue with my oldest (one of the reasons I first joined the boards). We have always run a half year behind, partly because of 1st grade, partly because of her difficulties. We are in Abeka 4 around lesson 68, and she's struggling and frustrated. I think it's stress and my lack of patience, but I hate to get any further behind. We were doing so well :glare: I was all excited to put her in the 5th grade book next year at the beginning of the year (my issue, NOT hers). We're also falling behind in English (Rod and Staff). I'm not sure I should care about that :lol: I don't care about what week of history and science we're in. We've done a TON of both this year. Very providential come to think of it. I have 2 weeks until surgery and then at least 2 weeks of recovery, taking us into May:willy_nilly: My MIL is coming to help me the week of surgery. She's a retired school teacher and said she'd help me out, but I am so unorganized right now, I don't know what I'd tell her to do.

So, what do you do when the year goes bad? Do you homeschool over the summer and do 1 week off every couple of weeks? I don't even know if that would help math wise. What do you do with your kids during the day while you're just trying to cope? Mine play, do art (Oldest is VERY creative), I've started letting them use the computer during the day, and I have to admit, they've watched more TV this month than they probably did all last year! OK, that's an exaggeration, but still. I'm not so worried about my 1st grader (funny that I have a 1st grader again). I'm more concerned about my oldest, the 4th grader. Should we just do Math and read-aloud once a day? Do I care about Grammar? YES! So I guess the question is SHOULD I care about Grammar. :lol: Should I make lesson plans for MIL and convalesce in my Bedroom with a TV?

If nothing else, thanks for listening. I'm just frustrated with the whole situation. I am PRAYING this surgery is a success. If it's not, they don't know what the next step will be, so let's not go there.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Dorinda

Okay, I'm back!

My health is so unpredictable that I've gone out of my way to make sure there is a decent amount of work they can do independently. Here are some things they can do if I'm stuck in bed:

Math: TT, Timez Attack, FlashMaster

Lang. Arts: Books on cd, reading log http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-reading.htm, Phonetic Zoo, Poetry Study (silent reading poem of the month and a poetry book from our collection)

History: SOTW cds

Science: To give you an example, the past 2 months have been hard on me so I dropped what we were doing and started reading The Mystery of the Periodic Table which has short chapters and I usually read to them in my bed. Then I send them off to listen to the periodic table song I saved for them from youtube (I also printed out the words for them) and they watch a few video clips on the elements. Here it is if your curious :) :http://www.periodicvideos.com/ So you can see it's easy on everyone, but they are really soaking it up and they think it's kind of fun.

I also have United Streaming, and I always check out educational dvds from the library. These classical music cds have been awesome http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1270283627-867048&subject=17&category=5644. I also use Pimsleur cds for french. Actually this year I was so afraid of ignoring french that I bought a bunch of music cds and they listen to them every day. I figure exposure is better than nothing.

I'm definitely planning to use the summer to gently finish up. Now I'm reading The Well Trained Mind and I'm looking for a way to up the ante academically next year while staying flexible for my health's sake and theirs. Both of my daughters have Tourette Syndrom so I have to be realistic to their abilities too. Mostly the only problem they have is when they get burnt out they get tics in their eyes. Which I mean come on how can a kid do their work when their eyes are rolling all over the place?

Even with all of our issues, I've been concerned about not getting enough out of them and that they work me to get out of the classroom.

Oh!! I forgot Cozy Grammar and Cozy Punctuation! In fourth grade I had my daughter just watch the dvds, this year she did all the worksheets along with the videos.

Check out TT, I know a lot of people here don't care for it, but it's working really well for us. It's very independent and it bring a little cheeriness to math (she also does LOF).

I don't let them watch tv until the work is done, I need that quiet time for the afternnon. But I do use tv to get a chance at quite time. We have netflix (no cable) and I'm alway looking for something cool that thy haven't watched. Right now their watching Gilligan's Island for the first time. I don't care if it's wrong, I'm so grateful to have them not need me every 5 minutes. This week Gilligan is giving that to me! :D Tv is a very useful tool that we don't abuse, but totally take advantage of.

I hope you feel better soon.. I know there are others homeschooling with health issues, I've received a lot of help from them over the last year or so that I've been here.

Looking forward to reading others thoughts..

:grouphug:

I think I would continue with math for both children and work on finishing up grammar with the 10 year old over the summer. I wouldn't worry about being "behind" in grammar with the 7 year old. Other than that, I wouldn't do anything else.

You might even want to consider making a switch to something that is very independent in these subjects. I don't know what you are using now, but CLE Math and LA are pretty independent and your children should be able to get them done with just a few minutes of instruction from you on the days you aren't feeling well.

If you need to fill some time to give the kids some structure to their day, you could also use the SOTW audiobooks as well as others they could listen to for pleasure.

Lisa

((hugs))

My sister had endo, and went through some horrible years. She recently went the hysterectomy route, I think. But it was rough for her for a really long time. I hope your next surgery works out better!

For myself, I deal with a panic disorder and depression, plus the various side effects as we play guess-the-medication to find what will help. (Going on ten years now. Sigh. But we're getting tiny steps closer.) It does make some days difficult! Mine are still in the younger grades, which does help, but I also try to pick very easy curricula. We'll ease into more classical stuff as they get older ... right now I read and learn, and incorporate a bit as we can. My kids know Mommy has good days, and bad days. Sometimes we get everything done. Sometimes I doze on the sofa and they bring their lapdesks to the floor beside me so they can poke me if they have a question. LOL. (More my 2nd grader. I definitely try to stay conscious for my preschooler's work!) Those days end up being just math and phonics days.

We use Five in a Row as our spine, which is very gentle, and we added Noeo science, which can also be very gentle. Math and phonics we try to hit every day, and my older does handwriting, mostly independently now. We added FLL 1 this year, and that's been a big hit, and also gentle. Don't know how the higher levels are, but hopefully just as good.

I hope to add some light history and Latin next year ... but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. They glean a lot just by asking questions and picking up stuff from our literature. And much as it sounds cool to do Latin young, it really can wait.

And we keep lots of Magic School Bus and other cool videos on hand, plus math manipulative toys and magnifying glasses and other cool exploring items ... so they can play-learn on their own too. (Lifesavers!)

Well, with RSD, I bite my lip and try and soldier through until Wolf gets home.

Diva is 11, so can be quite independant in her work, but I've found that as easy as math is for her, she buckles down and does the work if we read the text together.

I worry about my Littles. I had all sorts of plans for them that haven't come to bear. :blush: We read aloud a lot, but I just don't feel like that's enough. I need to get a good phonics program for them, I think. I have Dolch sight words, and we do work with them...

I think its the age old trap, with a new twist. Every mother feels like she's not doing enough somehow, and when you have a health condition/disability, its at least 10x worse.

Do what you can, as best you can. Sit down and figure out what your 'musts' are. Math sounds like one, grammar another. Then tell MIL where they're at so she can help. Lesson plans don't have to be intricate and long.

Best of luck to you, I hope the surgery does what its supposed to, and you have an easy and swift recovery. :grouphug:

I have had problems with endometriosis and ovarian cysts myself. If you don't mind a suggestion, have you tried eliminating caffine from your diet(unfortunately including chocolate)? My system also does not tolerate industrial meat and dairy well but I suspect that those impact the ovarian cysts more.

Have you considered Time4Leaning.com? I don't know how high they go grade wise but that could help some. Also or alternatively, you could outsource some of the math help to something like Kumon or Sylvan? I believe that there are also online homework sites if you could assign work for your daughter. I realize that these would not be ideal but that would be one option to consider.

You could tell your MIL where you are at and review the curriculum with her but I doubt detailed lesson plans are necessary and if she is a retired teacher she is probably very familiar with creating lesson plans if she feels she needs them.

I have had problems with endometriosis and ovarian cysts myself. If you don't mind a suggestion, have you tried eliminating caffine from your diet(unfortunately including chocolate)? My system also does not tolerate industrial meat and dairy well but I suspect that those impact the ovarian cysts more.

You could tell your MIL where you are at and review the curriculum with her but I doubt detailed lesson plans are necessary and if she is a retired teacher she is probably very familiar with creating lesson plans if she feels she needs them.

I have tried eliminating caffeine, but it doesn't seem to matter. I don't know if that's fortunate or not :lol:. You're right about meat and dairy though. I really can only handle poultry. I've had some pork this year and done OK, but forget beef! I can't handle it at all. You're right, my MIL is actually excited to work with the girls. I think that week I'll schedule the basics and let her plan some fun things for them to do.

Well, with RSD, I bite my lip and try and soldier through until Wolf gets home.

I think its the age old trap, with a new twist. Every mother feels like she's not doing enough somehow, and when you have a health condition/disability, its at least 10x worse.

Do what you can, as best you can. Sit down and figure out what your 'musts' are. Math sounds like one, grammar another. Then tell MIL where they're at so she can help. Lesson plans don't have to be intricate and long.

Best of luck to you, I hope the surgery does what its supposed to, and you have an easy and swift recovery.

Thanks Impish! I've read some of your threads and they've really encouraged me. This is the first time my pain has been chronic and not just cyclical. It's wretched

((hugs))

My sister had endo, and went through some horrible years. She recently went the hysterectomy route, I think. But it was rough for her for a really long time. I hope your next surgery works out better!

For myself, I deal with a panic disorder and depression, plus the various side effects as we play guess-the-medication to find what will help. (Going on ten years now. Sigh. But we're getting tiny steps closer.) It does make some days difficult! Mine are still in the younger grades, which does help, but I also try to pick very easy curricula.

I had a partial, that's part of the problem now. I'll PM you later. My sister suffers from Anxiety disorders. We're living similar lives!:tongue_smilie:

I think I would continue with math for both children and work on finishing up grammar with the 10 year old over the summer. I wouldn't worry about being "behind" in grammar with the 7 year old. Other than that, I wouldn't do anything else.

You might even want to consider making a switch to something that is very independent in these subjects. I don't know what you are using now, but CLE Math and LA are pretty independent and your children should be able to get them done with just a few minutes of instruction from you on the days you aren't feeling well.

If you need to fill some time to give the kids some structure to their day, you could also use the SOTW audiobooks as well as others they could listen to for pleasure.

Lisa

I'm definitely planning to use the summer to gently finish up. Now I'm reading The Well Trained Mind and I'm looking for a way to up the ante academically next year while staying flexible for my health's sake and theirs.

I don't let them watch tv until the work is done, I need that quiet time for the afternnon. But I do use tv to get a chance at quite time. We have netflix (no cable) and I'm alway looking for something cool that thy haven't watched. Right now their watching Gilligan's Island for the first time. I don't care if it's wrong, I'm so grateful to have them not need me every 5 minutes. This week Gilligan is giving that to me! :D Tv is a very useful tool that we don't abuse, but totally take advantage of.

I hope you feel better soon.. I know there are others homeschooling with health issues, I've received a lot of help from them over the last year or so that I've been here.

Looking forward to reading others thoughts..

We've been renting musicals! No cable here either. Don't you just love Netflix?

I pm'd you...

Got it :D

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Depending on how this goes, I might have to streamline for next year. Hopefully, this is it. Hopefully. . .:001_unsure: I am getting a lot of, "Now we understand more of what's going on and this SHOULD help you. Of course, you understand there's no guarantees.":glare:

Thanks for the pick me up Ladies!:grouphug:

Blessings!

Dorinda

I mentioned industrial meat because I can tolerate most organic meats just fine. I strongly suspect the bovine growth hormone is problematic for my system. In fact, I do not know of any synthetic hormones that work correctly and do not cause major problems in my system. And that definitely includes the pill.

I think there comes a time when you have to accept that, "it is what it is" and just move forward. Finish what you can this year and then stop. Take a break and try to start fresh and new next year. I was planning to try to push myself (and my son) to finish some ridiculous amount of work and to do up to 4 subjects a day through the summer before I finally decided that it just isn't going to happen. He is going to camps, visiting his dad, staying with my mom. There just aren't enough weeks in the year for it all. He will continue to work on grammar as time allows through the summer (small amounts) and math the same way. Otherwise, when 180 days is up, we are throwing in the towel. We have done *most* of it...and it is my fault for switching curriculum half way through.

My health issues (more mental health issues with some actual health issues thrown in the mix) haven't stopped me this year - we keep on keeping on. Again, most of my issues are inside my head though (depression, anxiety, and OCD/hypochondria). It is my way of fighting the battle, so to speak.

Have you considered Time4Leaning.com? I don't know how high they go grade wise but that could help some. Also or alternatively, you could outsource some of the math help to something like Kumon or Sylvan?

I did this. Both of my daughters went to Kumon for a few year, and did Time 4 Learning. It worked out well for us. Kumon was hard for me because I had to drive there twice a week (I had family helping me out with that), but it was worth knowing they got those math facts down. They did T4L math and LA, 4 or 5 days a week, plus our regular work in all subjects. On bad days (or weeks/months:)) I knew they were at least getting the basics.

:grouphug: I am so sorry - Take a deep breath and live one day at a time. There is no reason for you to worry about tomorow until it comes and if you have a good night and wake up good take advantage of that time and spend it with your children doing fun easy on you learning things - you all deserve it. I know it is very easy to get overwhelmend when your school year is not going as planed, but they are at a young enough age that they can play catch up as they grow older. Our dd gained 1 year before she did high school. Do not worry about your school work being unorganized your children can show MIL the ropes and you can relax and heal :) It will be a bonus whatever they get done. If you want talk to your children a head of time and tell them how proud you will be of them when they do their school work with MIL and how wonderful it is that MIL is willing to school them so you can heal. Then after you feel better decide what to do or not through the summer. We started to work and think on the lines no summer full year this way I do not get all worked up when my health issues rear their ugly head.

Prayers to a speedy recovery and peace of mind,

Lisa

dd 19 Jr. year at college

ds 7 our hockey player