Menu

A question for the "fish-mongers" out there

Our local Costco had some fresh breaded Tilapia filets. Now, I'm not much of a fish eater but I occasionally will eat a mild white fish. When I told my mom what I was making for dinner, she laughed and said "As long as you don't mind eating bottom-dwellers!"

Are they really bottom-dwellers like catfish? I did look at the label and it said they were "farm raised" but now her comment is stuck in my head and makes it a little less appetizing.:ack2:

Yup! They're bottom dwellers alright! We took the family to Calgary, AB to the zoo there one time. They have a giant pool for the hippos... and swimming around in the pool with the hippos are... Tilapia. For what reason you may ask? well... to eat the poop and keep the pool clean, of course! :scared::ack2::eek: (no, sorry, I kid not on this one)

But don't worry... I'm sure the Tilapia you're eating wasn't "farm raised" in Calgary! :lol:

Yup! They're bottom dwellers alright! We took the family to Calgary, AB to the zoo there one time. They have a giant pool for the hippos... and swimming around in the pool with the hippos are... Talapia. For what reason you may ask? well... to eat the poop and keep the pool clean, of course! :scared::ack2::eek: (no, sorry, I kid not on this one)

But don't worry... I'm sure the Talapia you're eating wasn't "farm raised" in Calgary! :lol:

LOL! I almost spewed my drink out at this. EWWWW, don't like the sound of that at all.

What would be my excuse...I didn't realize that the food I was about to eat actually eats the waste products of other animals :ack2: (alas, I tried to find a hurling smiley, but no luck)

LOL! Well, the guy on Man Vs. Wild tonight ate some live termites & a big grasshopper w/ the head cut off.

See, now tilapia sounds pretty tasty, right?! ;) (We love tilapia here!)

My husband told me I should take it back but I don't know if I have the guts! What would be my excuse...I didn't realize that the food I was about to eat actually eats the waste products of other animals

ROTFL!!!!

I'm sure it's a very yummy fish. I just can't ever bring myself to eat it after seeing them swimming around in the hippo __ infested water. yuck. yuck. yuck. I wonder what they feed the farmed ones?? ewwwwwww

On the bright side, if you do decide to return it.... Costco has a FANTASTIC return policy.

:ack2: (alas, I tried to find a hurling smiley, but no luck)

I did too. This just doesn't do this topic justice, does it? lol