Menu

looking for writing program for a child that LOVE to write

ange

I've posted about my dd that hates to write, now for my ds that LOVES to write - What would you recommend? I am considering an IEW literature and comp. class for him next year. He's coming from private school, and will be 6th grade, but is advanced in reading and writing. I'm not sure what is out there for a kid like him (he even uses grammar exercises to write creatively). Suggestions? Thanks!

If you feel comfortable moving away from a program, there's no reason not to give a creative kid alternatives to conventional writing assignments. All the same analytical skills eventually are incorporated if you respond to a book in a variety of ways: write jacket copy, make a satiric version of a chapter or poem, collect examples of good and bad writing and make up your own, make a comic strip or manga version of a favorite story, write alternative endings, turn a story into a radio play and put it on including sound effects, rewrite a story or scene in a novel in a different genre -- turn regular old realistic fiction into advertising copy, science fiction, romance, journalistic scoop. Take historical or science reading and make a topic into a series of political cartoons, ads for technological advances in various eras, stories about time travel. Or make your own ABC book; this doesn't have to be dumbed down -- take G is for Google as an example. There are dozens and dozens of genres, approaches, and styles for a child to play around with.

Writing does not have to be exclusively factual, essay-focused, or analytical to develop skills and thinking abilities. If you have a kid who loves to play around, I think that is fantastic and I'd do everything I could to work with it, to make it a vital part of his education.

My seventh-grader *really* loves to write -- she would make up stories and essays all day long if I'd let her. Thankfully, there are other girls in our area who like to do the same thing. One of them formed a club called the Young Authors' Club which meets every other week. The most talented and enthusiastic writer, the one who dreamed up the club, leads off by showing the girls a photo or giving them one or two sentences to write a story about. They write furiously for a while, then compare stories. They also bring their novels to the club and critique each other's work. Between club meetings, they make their novels available to each other online for more feedback. It's a lot of fun for them and really spurs them on with their writing!

I'd be tempted to see if I could get him into a writing group or class-even one of mostly adults, where the budding authors share and critique each other's writing. Not sure where you'd find one that isn't mostly retirees, though.

My two eldest girls love to write and are very creative. Our local library has started a young writer's group (for ages 13 and up) that meets once a month. My girls love to go to this group, and it gives them an outlet for their writing. They have also entered a national writing competition.

So, maybe try your local library to see if they have anything available, and if not, maybe you could suggest that they do. There may be others in the community that would like to have this opportunity. Also, check out what writing competitions are available around your area. Our local newspaper had one recently, but there are often state and national competitions as well. Not that winning them is important, but just having a reason for writing is sometimes good.

Also, check out NaNoWriMo Young Writer's Program online.

HTH

My 7th grade son is a scary-good writer for his age. He aspires to be a writer when he grows up (history and biographies). He is currently in his 4th year of Classical Writing and is really honing his skills. Honestly, though, I think a kid who loves to write would do quite well with almost any program, given the right guidance. What you really want is a program that will sharpen his skills and stretch her abilities, especially technically. Then he will be even more free to be creative.

Thank you for the great ideas here. I think the NaNoWriMo sounds really cool and he would enjoy that. The idea of a writers' club is great as well. He's coming from a classical school, so Classical Writing may be a good fit too. Thanks so much!