Menu

Amazon - why are some used items priced so HIGH??

I know we had a thread that cleared up the mystery of the .01 used item (they are making money on the shippling.) But what I wonder about is the extremely OVERPRICED items. For example, I was looking at Megawords. There were items for sale by about 22 different people. The price ranged from $4.50 to more than $50.00!! Why would they price it so out of range with the others. Clearly, no one is going to buy the $50.00 one, so why do it? I know there is a reason I am just not seeing??

I know we had a thread that cleared up the mystery of the .01 used item (they are making money on the shippling.) But what I wonder about is the extremely OVERPRICED items. For example, I was looking at Megawords. There were items for sale by about 22 different people. The price ranged from $4.50 to more than $50.00!! Why would they price it so out of range with the others. Clearly, no one is going to buy the $50.00 one, so why do it? I know there is a reason I am just not seeing??

I wonder the same things. I always attribute it to wishful thinking?? I mean, if an item is rare, out of production/print the cost hike would make *more* sense, but where there are several being sold at the same time for a lot less. Beats me. :confused::confused::confused:

Yes please explain to me why LOF is going for over $100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0970999550/sr=8-5/qid=1269837196/ref=olp_pg_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&startIndex=0&qid=1269837196&sellerID=&sr=8-5&colid=&condition=used

Not the link I was looking for but it works. A few weeks ago I was looking for LOF fractions for a friend and THAT was on amazon for $102. I didnt believe her when she told me (I told her that HAD to be for the whole series, right?!?:001_huh:) Oh no, for the same book you can buy for $19 with free shipping on the Stanley Schmidt website

Sort of like on eBay where people bid an item up to over twice the retail price for an item currently available in retail.

GRRRR don't even get me started on Ebay. Collectors have driven up prices so much on there it drives me bonkers!:mad: Makes me wish I had a time machine and bought stuff back in the 80's and 90's when they were practically giving it away. sigh. Hindsight!

If you are a seller wlling to ship overseas, you may sometimes over-price books that are readily available in the states - - not to be greedy, but b/c the overseas shipping allowance does not cover heavier books. So, covering the added shippping cost, plus a premium for the extra time/aggravation, can really drive the price up. I've sold a few books this way that weren't worth selling otherwise.

Hmm, I guess that could be it. The only things I could come up with were 1) maybe they are trying to drive up the "average" price for some reason or 2) they were hoping someone who was not careful would "accidently" buy their product?

GRRRR don't even get me started on Ebay. Collectors have driven up prices so much on there it drives me bonkers!:mad: Makes me wish I had a time machine and bought stuff back in the 80's and 90's when they were practically giving it away. sigh. Hindsight!

Remind me to use my Christmas fund to buy up 30 of the hot new toy (whatever "it" is this year) and sell them on eBay for 4x retail because "TRU and Walmart are all sold out and I overnight, guaranteed delivery by Dec 24". Then help me convince my kids that Christmas really is going to be in Feb '11 due to unseasonably warm weather at the North Pole. :tongue_smilie:

Remind me to use my Christmas fund to buy up 30 of the hot new toy (whatever "it" is this year) and sell them on eBay for 4x retail because "TRU and Walmart are all sold out and I overnight, guaranteed delivery by Dec 24". Then help me convince my kids that Christmas really is going to be in Feb '11 due to unseasonably warm weather at the North Pole. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Postings on Amazon don't expire so I'm assuming the folks who over-price their items are simply being patient until theirs is the only one left. I also think homeschoolers tend to be more savvy when it comes to purchasing on the used market. I believe there are still many people out there who think if it's the most expensive one listed, it must be the best. Yes, I just painted with a broad brush, but I think there is some truth to it.