Menu

"crayola" curriculum supplements?

Dmmetler

I know that there's a lot of criticism of "Crayola" curriculum with lots of coloring, pasting, and so on, but my 5 yr old really loves that sort of stuff. What's more, I'm amazed at her retention and recall of what she hears while she's doing this sort of activity-it's much higher than if she just tries to sit and listen. I just ordered a bunch of Dover coloring books and paperdoll books for Ancients this coming year, but was wondering if anyone had any suggested resources for other subject areas.

Honestly, there's lots of criticism about EVERYTHING, when you get right down to it! Never let that worry you, especially when you are seeing results (and the student is enjoying it, to boot).

The first thing that springs to mind is Evan-Moor "Pockets." They have History Pockets, Literature, tons of hands-on stuff. I learned the hard way that it's MUCH easier if you copy everything to standard size, rather than the over-sized pockets the book recommends (very hard to store!).

there's another series called "Hands-on History" that I haven't tried yet.

Kumon has very high quality activity books for younger kids, I don't know if she's past them or not.

also, go to amazon and your library and use these search words, combined with particular subjects like math, history, etc:

hands-on, active learning, investigation, challenge, learning by doing, portfolio

I know that there's a lot of criticism of "Crayola" curriculum with lots of coloring, pasting, and so on, but my 5 yr old really loves that sort of stuff. What's more, I'm amazed at her retention and recall of what she hears while she's doing this sort of activity-it's much higher than if she just tries to sit and listen. I just ordered a bunch of Dover coloring books and paperdoll books for Ancients this coming year, but was wondering if anyone had any suggested resources for other subject areas.

The Activity Guide for SOTW has a lot of opportunities for coloring, cutting, pasting, etc... I normally have my DD4 and DS8 work on the coloring pages while I read the chapter to them.

Dover has great coloring books for science as well (human body, animals, plants)... I will read a book or the pages from an encyclopedia while the kids color the matching animal.

Lapbooks and History Pockets use a lot of color/cut/paste.

I use the Complete Book of Maps and Geography with my son and it does a lot of color/cut/paste... There are several other books in "The Complete Book of" series available at Amazon and I would imagine hands on is prevalent.

The Activity Guide for SOTW has a lot of opportunities for coloring, cutting, pasting, etc... I normally have my DD4 and DS8 work on the coloring pages while I read the chapter to them.

We're doing the same thing but using one of the History Pockets books a few people have mentioned instead of the SOTW AG.

The first thing that springs to mind is Evan-Moor "Pockets." They have History Pockets, Literature, tons of hands-on stuff. I learned the hard way that it's MUCH easier if you copy everything to standard size, rather than the over-sized pockets the book recommends (very hard to store!).

I actually really like the oversized pockets. I think they're are fun and they fit on one of our bookshelves with our other homeschool stuff, so I guess it just depends on the size of your shelves.