Menu

Has anyone done Ancients and tied in science to it? (Archimedes, etc.)

HappyGrace

I'm about to try to tie in science topics with our Ancients study (simple machines with shadufs, Archimedes, etc) and just wondered if anyone has already done this and could share their topic list so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? Thanks!

I'll probably have them read Archimedes and the Door to Science and books about Leonardo, Galileo, and anything else obvious as we go along, but mainly I'm being lazy and just having them read Hakim's Story of Science. The three volumes of SoS align fairly well with the three K12 Human Odyssey volumes - I'm not going to try to align chapter by chapter, but I'm figuring volume by volume it works out pretty well. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Oh! I'm also going to have them read the Science in Ancient.... series. They just read the one on Ancient Mesopotamia, and it got a big thumbs up. I think the other ones in the series are Egypt, Greece, Rome, and China.

Edited by matroyshka

I'm attempting the same thing w/ Story of Science. I have an experiment book of famous scientists. I might even buy the Thames and Konos kit.

OT: Matroyshka - I still haven't received that Human Odyssey. I have emailed the seller AGAIN but have to wait until Monday before submitting a claim to half.com. The minute I get refunded, I'm just ordering it from K12. I've lost THREE WEEKS dealing w/ sellers.

Thanks! I just got Story of Sci hoping it would work for us in the way you're describing, but I'm generally not pleased with most of it from a conservative Christian standpoint. I will probably pick and choose bits from it though.

I have ideas-Galen and the Gateway to Medicine, Archimedes, etc. I just wondered if anyone had already done the legwork for this-lol!

ETA: LOL-I was just over on Amazon looking at the "Science in Ancient..." series!! Thanks! Glad to know they're a hit!

We are doing that this year utilizing the Science in the Past series and Ancient Science: 40 Time-Traveling, World-Exploring, History-Making Activities for Kids by Jim Wiese.

We are currently reading the Jeanne Bendick books on Archimedes, and Galen. (Bendick has a new book out on Herodotus for history). Also on our list is The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky. I started with Hakim's book but found that for us, this program was a bit easier to administer. We are still doing a regular science program as well.

When my daughter was in sixth grade I taught a co-op class that incorporated ancient history topics, literature, science, and art. When we did Egypt, for instance, here are some of the things we did:

--read from various books, including The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, Ancient Egyptians and their neighbors, Look What Comes From Egypt, and myths

--looked at illustrations from The Book of the Dead

--wrote in hieroglyphics

--imagined we were archeologists; kids were given color photos of several artifacts and, using reference books, asked to speculate about their origin, meaning, and value

--watched the NOVA episode on the making of the pyramids

--made contraptions using dowels and boards and rope and pulled one another up hills (like pyramid blocks)

--used similar triangles to measure the heights of things like trees and buildings; made plumb lines and knotted rope for measuring right angles

--made our faces up like Egyptians

--went through the mummification process using garage sale Barbie dolls and plaster of Paris; researched sarcophagus decoration at a local museum exhibit, and then designed and painted tombs for the mummies

--made perfume from wax, scented oil, and dye

--made a model shaduf

--made a salt dough map of the Nile River Valley

--researched various pharaohs (they gave presentations)

--compared Egyptian pyramids with Nubian and Mayan ones

We went through this process with Mesopotamia and also with ancient Greece -- spent a TON of time on this last as there was so much science material. I felt like we barely scratched the surface. All the different subject areas blended seamlessly together.

This is probably far more than anyone wanted to know; but in case anybody's interested I think I still have my notes/list of activities around and could PM them.

ETA: Oh! I'm also going to have them read the Science in Ancient.... series. They just read the one on Ancient Mesopotamia, and it got a big thumbs up. I think the other ones in the series are Egypt, Greece, Rome, and China.

Ooo! Made me look - there's another one in this series (which as Lisa pointed out is actually called Science in the Past) called Science in Early Islamic Culture.