Menu

History Odyssey

jillian

Level 1 actually uses SOTW, but organizes it by using Usborne's History book for a spine. It also puts it into defined weekly lessons for you and provides reading lists. Personally, while I wasn't always crazy about the way HO jumped around in SOTW, but I loved having defined weekly lessons.

I looked at the samples of level one and didn't feel like it was much different than the SOTW AG. The AG provides reading lists too. HO does not provide projects. You have to buy separate books for those.

I think someone said that they enjoyed CHOW being scheduled in HO.

I am thinking about using level 2.

I and my daughter are enjoying Level 2.

I would def. say we do not enjoy it more than SOTW. We use SOTW for my son and still look for some bits of info in there for my daughter as well.

Plus, we still listen to SOTW on audio.

But we are enjoying HO Level 2. We tend to skip the history pockets unless my son want to do one and we have extra time.

I'll be the lone dissenter.

I like the reading lists from H.O. *much* better than the ones in the SOTW guide. And my daughter doesn't like SOTW - she begged to go back to CHOW and H.O. after we dropped it for SOTW this year. So, back we went, and we're finishing up the year with H.O. Middle Ages and CHOW. I've only ever used Level 1, though, so I can't speak to the higher levels.

I'll be the lone dissenter.

I like the reading lists from H.O. *much* better than the ones in the SOTW guide. And my daughter doesn't like SOTW - she begged to go back to CHOW and H.O. after we dropped it for SOTW this year. So, back we went, and we're finishing up the year with H.O. Middle Ages and CHOW. I've only ever used Level 1, though, so I can't speak to the higher levels.

So you use HO without SOTW?

I haven't used SOTW AG, but we are using level 1 of HO and we love it. We really enjoy the crafts and baking in the activity books and the Usborne book with all the links. We also really like History Pockets, but I do some of the cutting for my son. After everything is cut out he colors while I read to him from SOTW or the poetry book, then we do any necessary gluing.

yeah i'm just looking at the future :) We are strongly considering using Seton Home Study's materials. I am not liking the history options without supplementing, so I am looking for something to supplement the Catholic materials they have.