Menu

IPODs

I was thinking of getting one for my daughter for her 16th birthday but I don't know anything about them. Nothing at all. Does anyone on here know anything? I do know that I wouldn't get her the tiny little square one but other than that, not a clue. How much does it cost to put a song on there and are there places she can go to get cheaper songs?

Thanks

My dd says to get the itouch instead of an ipod. Song prices on itunes have gone up recently. I'm not sure how much because we have an auntie who tends to keep dd well supplied with gift cards there, but I know dd complained about the increase quite loudly. Make sure all music is well backed up.

I agree with getting the iTouch. That little thing is amazing! I have two whole pages of educational apps just for my DDs. I use them on occasion when we have to do school in the car.

I have a friend whose children (approx 10yo, 13yo; 17yo) all have iPod Nanos. They are allowed something like $5.00/mo. for purchases - after that they are on their own.

The apps that cost are usually about 0.99 - some are more. Songs are (were?) 0.99 but I recently bought a song that was 1.29. I also get an occasional German songs from Amazon.de - not sure if the US version of Amazon works the same way or not.

I also have a little thingie ;) that I plug in the bottom of my iPod while in the car. It plays over the FM radio, so that we can listen to audiobooks, music, podcasts, etc. while in the car.

HTH!

There are also a ton of free apps for the itouch! I love it!

Yyes - there are! I try-before-I-buy if possible. Several apps are the same as the paid version, with just a bit of advertising, and I can often look past that! One of our latest faves is Virtuoso - the girls play the piano and make up songs. Fun!

I'm still as confused as ever! I don't want her to be able to access all kinds of different things...not because I don't trust her just that I don't want her to have more tech stuff that she doesn't need. I just would like to get her something that she can download songs on! Oh my gosh this is so difficult!!!

I purchased one for my son this past Christmas. I did not realize it had a camera on it which was cool to him. I purchased the 8gb. It seems to be just right for my ds. I gave him a $15 Itunes card which makes it very easy to down load songs, videos etc. I had also purchased him an armband for he likes to have music when he runs.

If you don't want her to be able to access the internet on her iPod, I would recommend the iPod nano. Personally, I would probably get the (smaller) 8GB version, which is $150, unless she has a large music collection or plans to put on a lot of videos. However, you can double the storage space (to 16GB) for an extra $30.

It comes in a lot of fun colors, doesn't access the internet, plays music, videos, and audiobooks, has a little built in camera, and has an FM radio.

I have an Ipod Touch which came as a bonus when we purchased our computer last fall. It does everything the Iphone does, except it is not a phone.

I love it. I serves as an Ipod, and digital book reader. I can stream or load recorded books, too! I can browse the web and UTube. There are hundreds of apps you can put on the device . . . some free, some pay-for. I have apps to help me stay organized, plan meals, etc. You can put games on it, too. Again, some are free and some are pay for. It comes pre-loaded with typical PDA type-programs (calendar, contact book, timer, etc.). Oh, I even loaded a fully recorded and print version of the KJV Bible which was free! It is really cool! You can even load movies onto the device . . . I have not done that yet . . .

Sometimes they sell refurbished items at the on-line store. We have purchased several refurbished iPods and for Christmas I purchased my dh a refurbished IPod Touch which has more memory than mine. Last fall my mom and dad were taking a long trip and my dh and I treated them each to an iPod so they could listen to their preferred music.All refurbished items come with a warranty. We have never had a problem with a refurbished item we have purchased. I am thinking of getting myself another Ipod Touch for my Birthday in June (one with more memory) and passing my current device to my 14 year old.

You can load up the device with music you already own or purchase music from the ITunes store or other websites that sell music. I prefer to use the ITunes store.

Adrianne in IL

My 16yo and 14yo had ipod nanos and my 11yo had an ipod shuffle. I don't recommend the shuffle (the little square one) because you can't see the names of any of the songs.

We got the 16yo an ipod touch for Christmas, so she passed her nano down to the 11yo (who loves it). I have the shuffle now.

The touch has been really neat for the games and video download possibilities. It has a lot of different uses.

I got the touch on the apple refurbished site. I was warned to get at least an 8gb for video-streaming, so that's what I got her.

"I'm still as confused as ever! I don't want her to be able to access all kinds of different things...not because I don't trust her just that I don't want her to have more tech stuff that she doesn't need. I just would like to get her something that she can download songs on! Oh my gosh this is so difficult!!!"

Consider an mp3 player instead of the specific brand name of IPOD. My dd's had mp3's for several years and were very happy with them. They can be found for well under $100 and come in a variety of gigs (the more gigs, the more music you can download) and will do exactly what you're requesting.

Also, my kids started out copying their cd's onto their mp3's; they've only recently begun buying music downloads.

Ava

Edited by Dani n Monies Mom