Menu

Any Kombucha drinkers or makers?

I have been making it for a little less than a year and just love it. I must admit it took me a while to get over the idea of what it is and DH thought I was out of my mind for making it. Now I always make sure I have a flavored batch in the fridge and DH drinks it as well.

I find it helps keep my appetite in check as well. Does anyone else drink or make it?

I like the prepared kombucha at Earth Fare but I have never made it myself. I do make alot of other ferments but can't get past the scobie to try kombucha. lol

The scobie idea is a strange one, but you get used to it.

What other fermented foods do you make? I tried sauerkraut once, but it was a complete failure. I am told fermented carrots are easier, so I may try that first.

Edited by Melenie

I make a mix of cultured veggies. My favorite is cabbage, broccoli, celery, onions and garlic. Super yummy!! I have a friend who ferments carrots and her kids love them. A year or so ago, my youngest went thru a beet stage where she wanted fermented beets all the time. I didn't like them but she thought they were awesome. I use a probiotic starter packet from the company I work for so I haven't tried sauerkraut b/c that's wild fermentation and I'm just not ready for wild yet. ;)

Both carrots and beets are sweet enough to still be on the sweeter side when they're done fermenting. I love the sour taste of our mix though.

Oh, my boss made me some recently that included cabbage, peppers (hot!), kale, beets, green apple, wakame (ocean veggie) and carrots. It was really good too. :)

I also ferment young coconut water instead of milk to make kefir.

I do!! And water kefir, and milk kefir, and yoghurt and fermented veggies. All yummy. I love to add lemon or lime to my kombucha and do a second ferment.

I see you have a food blog any fermented veggie recipes on there?

Interesting about adding lemon or lime, I like fruit in ours, but prefer the sweeter fruits.

i've just recently started making my own Kombucha and i LOVE it! it's over $3 a bottle at my HEB, so making my own has been quite cost effective. my favorite flavor at the store is the Gingerade, so in my most recent batch i've included a ginger tea bag along with my regular green tea. we'll see how it turns out.

a quick question: how long do yall let your brew ferment?

I dont do kombucha but I do make water kefir. I used to make milk kefir but I stopped drinking milk. The water kefir is great, and I am having fun doing secondary fermentations with various other flavours.

I also make saeurkraut and in particular, I love Kimchi, which is basially like saeurkraut but with different vegetables.

i've just recently started making my own Kombucha and i LOVE it! it's over $3 a bottle at my HEB, so making my own has been quite cost effective. my favorite flavor at the store is the Gingerade, so in my most recent batch i've included a ginger tea bag along with my regular green tea. we'll see how it turns out.

a quick question: how long do yall let your brew ferment?

I also like the ginger flavor and have put a slice of ginger root in it before. I loved it, but Dh was not a fan. I often do strawberry and raspberry and that is very nice as well.

Mine takes between 7- 10 days to brew. Closer to 7 days, but then I normally put 2 skobies in at a time.

I tried the milk kefir (store bought and homemade) but I am lactose intolerant and it made me sick. Could someone share how to make the water kefir?

Also, use to make kombucha but quit mostly because I didn't like the taste. Thinking of trying it again though and adding some flavors.

I tried the milk kefir (store bought and homemade) but I am lactose intolerant and it made me sick. Could someone share how to make the water kefir?

You can make water kefir using the milk kefir grains, but they wont grow. I bought some proper water kefir grains off ebay and they work well and are growing like crazy!

With water kefir, you add water, sugar ( I am using coconut palm sugar and it is working) , a piece of lemon (to acidify the water), and a few sultanas or raisin(for the yeasts or bacteria on their skin I think).

I ferment mine for 2 days and it's not very sweet, so I figure most of the sugar is converted. It is very slightly alcoholic- gives me a slight rush, but I dont drink normally so am probably quite sensitive to it.

You can make water kefir using the milk kefir grains, but they wont grow. I bought some proper water kefir grains off ebay and they work well and are growing like crazy!

With water kefir, you add water, sugar ( I am using coconut palm sugar and it is working) , a piece of lemon (to acidify the water), and a few sultanas or raisin(for the yeasts or bacteria on their skin I think).

I ferment mine for 2 days and it's not very sweet, so I figure most of the sugar is converted. It is very slightly alcoholic- gives me a slight rush, but I dont drink normally so am probably quite sensitive to it.

I was going to ask for the water recipe as well. Thanks! I am going to try this.

We've made kefir and kombucha and much prefer kombucha. Part of the problem with our kefir was we used goat's milk and it wasn't the best goat's milk you've ever tasted.

We had a very stressful move almost two years ago and my scobee is still sitting in the cupboard and is about 2" thick and has finished off most of the liquid. I can't bring myself to throw it away. It isn't moldy at all, but I'm not sure how safe it would be.