Menu

US History for 2nd/3rd grader

m0mmaBuck

I am hoping to find an engaging US History program for a 2nd-3rd grade boy. He is not a big independent reader. He does seem to enjoy the SOTW approach (coloring page is OK by him, likes the map, tolerates the additional reading since he knows some hands on project will follow). I would like him to have at least a brief overview of the timeline and some of the events and personalities, especially if I send him back to PS in the Fall.

I was wondering about History Pockets but also looked at Hakim's US History set. I had also thought about going through the US History as presented in the "What Your ___ Needs to Know" books (using 1st-3rd grade books) and supplementing with biographies and other library materials. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

TIA.

Hakim's US History set is too advanced for his age, I think. Here's what we're doing for US History:

Revolution for Kids: A History with 21 Activities by Janis Herbert

Colonial Days: Discovering the Past with Games, Activities, etc. (sounds like the "21 Activities" series and the David King books like this one are what you should look into the most!)

Sarah Morton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl

Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy

John, Paul, George & Ben by Lane Smith

A Lion to Guard Us by Clyde Bulla

The World of William Penn by Genevieve Foster

George Washington's World by Genevieve Foster

Liberty! How the Revolutionary War Began by Lucille Penner

Katie's Trunk by Ann Turner

We the Kids: The Preamble of the Constitution by David Catrow

We are really enjoying the U.S. History in My Father's World Adventures for our 2nd grader. It has been a fun, interesting year!

It looks like I could just order the history books. That has promise.

The books from Amazon (21 projects and the others) also look like they would be good for DS.

Thank you!

Hello!

I agree that A History of US would be too much for 2/3 grade. I'm actually considering it for next year for DS who will be 5th grade.

From experience, I can tell you that History Pockets are a fun way to touch on history subjects, but they are not too in-depth. It would be easy to add in some readers from the time period for a more complete study tho. DS enjoyed every one of the books that we've gone through - he's an artsy type and loves the hands on stuff. The pockets consist of a "booklet" of info (easy to read and understand, good content for a general overview), a fact page, vocabulary, various activities/crafts relating to the reading. For example, when studying Ancient Greece we made our own "knuckles" game to play. There's also lots that can be colored (or not- my ds loves art but does not enjoy coloring. Go figure!). If you go to the Evan-Moor website, you can see inside the books to have a better idea of what they're about.

HTH!