Menu

Tell me about 3rd grade narrations

K&Rs Mom

I'm rereading WTM for moving into 3rd grade before long. It says a 3rd grader's narration should start to be 1-2 paragraphs. Is this your experience? My current 2nd grader will completely freak out if I suggest she write more than 2 sentences, insisting that it's not possible. She's perfectly capable, and her composition is great, it's just the act of writing that she complains about. I let her off the hook for a while, and am expecting more now, but can just imagine the fight I'm going to have if I suddenly expect 2 paragraphs per SOTW section. We've focused on other things until now, so narration is going to be new and I would start her off with smaller "bites," but need to figure out where my goal for her is. What do your 3rd graders do for a history narration?

Thanks!

You may want to check out SWB's Writing with Ease. I am using Level 2 with my 3rd grader, and it separates narration and handwriting via copywork into separate disciplines. For example, on one day you read a passage aloud and have the child narrate to you a short summary, which you write down. The next day, the child copies a sentence from that same passage, paying close attention to punctuation, grammar, etc.

My 4th grader completed it, and it really helped move her to the next level of narration/dictation.

Remember that her narration can be oral, written down by you. I usually write my 1st graders narrations and simply have them read it back to me. During 2nd grade I will write it all and have them copy part of it. By third grade, I will usually write it all and have them copy all of it. Why don't you just have her copy part of her oral narration which you have written down - building up to copying all of it. I do not expect my kids to write their own narrations without my involvement until 4th (give or take, depending on the child.)

I'm rereading WTM for moving into 3rd grade before long. It says a 3rd grader's narration should start to be 1-2 paragraphs. Is this your experience?

No. My oldest could not write 1-2 paragraphs in grade 3, and neither can my current 3rd grader. I used to stress about this, because of that rec. in WTM, but I stopped stressing when I got WWE. It seems to me that the expectations in WWE are updated and reduced from what is in WTM. In WWE, by the end of 4th level (or grade, depending on when the child develops the skills), kids will be able to read a couple of chapters of a book, narrate 2-3 sentences, and write them down properly. So, this is my goal for my current 3rd grader.

Thanks. I know she can TELL me 1-2 paragraphs, but writing the same (even copying) would be a bit much. I'm happy with our handwriting program, but she's in the last book so maybe after that I'll have her start copywork with the narrations.

Has anyone had dc write the first couple of sentences then round out the info by telling you the rest?

To the OP, thanks for asking this and I hope you don't mind if I add a question.

Do your 3rd graders write their own narrations from the start or do have them tell you orally, then dictate it to them or have the copy it? We are currently working through WWE 2, so right now I have her copy or take from dictation most of her narrations. I'm wondering how to move her from that stage to actually writing it for herself from the start and wondering if it's even necessary to begin that process yet. Hope this makes sense!

My third grader just started WWE2 and struggles with the narration...even 2-3 sentences of oral narration. He has an expressive language learning difficulty, though. We are slowly, with a lot of hand holding, working our way through WW2. My plan is to get through to the end of WWE in time. We just won't be setting any speed records with it. My primary goal is to get him comfortable with oral narration of 1-2 sentences, which is what is required so far in WWE2. If at any point the program is too difficult for him, I will modify it. I believe in trusting your gut with these sorts of things. Recommendations are just that, general recommendations for the masses of children out there and may not fit an individual child.

In first grade I required 1 sentence from my dd (which I wrote down). In second grade I require 2-3 sentences. She writes the first and I write the rest. In third grade I will work up to requiring 3-5 sentences and she will write it all, but that is a third grade goal, not a beginning of the year expectation.

Tara

My oldest (3rd grade) is in WWE 3 right now. We are still using the dictation sentences as copywork as we are still working on spelling (though I will transition him to dictation in a month or two). As for his narrations, he still does them orally and I type them out. Most the time, I'll have him read them back to me, but he does not do any copywork from his narrations. (He was always very pencil/writing-phobic, and he had come a long way in his willingness to write, but I don't want to rock the boat. ;) ) I'm guessing by the time we are in WWE 4 next year, he'll be on-level in the skills, but I wanted to take it a bit more slowly getting him there.

Do your 3rd graders write their own narrations from the start or do have them tell you orally, then dictate it to them or have the copy it? We are currently working through WWE 2, so right now I have her copy or take from dictation most of her narrations. I'm wondering how to move her from that stage to actually writing it for herself from the start and wondering if it's even necessary to begin that process yet. Hope this makes sense!

My dd8 is in WWE2 and she writes her own narrations from start to finish. I have her tell me what she is going to write first, sentence by sentence, and then she writes it. I might give her a little grammar or spelling help, but that's it. She does her SOTW narrations the same way. I think she is a somewhat advanced writer, though. She seemed ready, and I let her run with it.

I don't think you need to do this -- but if you feel your dd might be ready for it, it can't hurt to try. You can always go back to the way you were doing it before!

My 3rd grader tells me orally, and then I sometimes dictate back part of it to her. I am sticking with the slow-moving instructions in WWE (3), because I had such a hard time teaching this to ds when he was this age, and there was much unnecessary frustration for him. If you stick with WWE all the way through, it will move your dd through the process of eventually getting her to write her whole narration by herself. It's brilliant (and unstressful and thorough).

Has anyone had dc write the first couple of sentences then round out the info by telling you the rest?

My "3rd grader" is pencil-phobic, although less so than she was at the beginning of the year (& all years prior). If she knows she has to write her own narration, it will be the simplest sentence she can come up with. If she thinks I am going to write it, she comes up with between three sentences and three paragraphs depending on the topic and amount she needs to summarize.

Thus, I write her narrations in history because I want her to be thorough. However, she writes her own narrations (1-3 sentences) in our religion class. (She then uses one of these for dictation the following day on a drawing that pertains to the subject.)

My 3rd grader tells me orally, and then I sometimes dictate back part of it to her. I am sticking with the slow-moving instructions in WWE (3), because I had such a hard time teaching this to ds when he was this age, and there was much unnecessary frustration for him. If you stick with WWE all the way through, it will move your dd through the process of eventually getting her to write her whole narration by herself. It's brilliant (and unstressful and thorough).

Colleen, we had planned on using CW Aesop next year. I do have the WWE text at home, right now I'm in another country on baby watch :). So, I'll have to take a closer look at that when I get back. I think that we might alternate weeks, one week of CW, one of WWE or do some variation of that. The more I see/read about WWE, the more I think it would benefit dd to finish the series, but I also love CW and want to use that series all the way through, decisions, decisions!

Thanks to everyone else who answered me!