Menu

K-12 Human Odyssey

Do you use this book to complete a study of Ancients and Middle Ages in one year, or do you break these into two years?

LOL - don't ask me, it took me 4 1/2 years to get through an American History schedule I'd planned for 2....

But I am hoping to get through the first book in a year??? I'm already starting it mid-year... the third (20th century) book is thinner than the other two; I'm having a fantasy that I can compress it into a shorter time than the other two (I had hoped to use these three books for the three years of middle school - starting the book a bit over halfway through 6th already puts me behind...)

We did part of volume 1 last year for Ancients and continued on this year for Middle Ages.

Do you use this book to complete a study of Ancients and Middle Ages in one year, or do you break these into two years?

How hard is it to study both in one year using WTM suggestions? Has anyone done this?

It depends on what you mean by "get through" the books. You mean WTM-style, with outlining and reading corresponding literature? I don't think you could do it -- or would want to do it -- in a year. You'd be going through so quickly that your child wouldn't be able to savor the material.

My daughter uses the K12 Human Odyssey course (the middle one, from the Renaissance through 1914), which has a workbook and computer assessments. She spends about 45 minutes per day on the material. It's not an easy course. She started it last August and will be lucky to finish by this August (though that's because she doesn't get around to history every day). There's NO WAY I would try to rush her through two of these history courses in a year.

There's NO WAY I would try to rush her through two of these history courses in a year.

I think she was asking the opposite - if she could take two years to go through one K12 course (because the first book covers Ancients and Middle Ages, which are two years of a WTM rotation) - not one year for two K12 courses (that would be from Ancients to WWI -yikes!).

Title of Vol 3 is From Modern Times to Our Contemporary Era

Part I is The Road to 1914

Part 2 The Cataclysm (1914-1946)

Part 3 Nuclear Stakes in a Shrinking World (1947-the present)

Copyright is 2007.

HTH

May I piggyback a question? What year does K12 Human odyssey vol 3 end with?

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

It depends on what you mean by "get through" the books. You mean WTM-style, with outlining and reading corresponding literature? I don't think you could do it -- or would want to do it -- in a year. You'd be going through so quickly that your child wouldn't be able to savor the material.

My daughter uses the K12 Human Odyssey course (the middle one, from the Renaissance through 1914), which has a workbook and computer assessments. She spends about 45 minutes per day on the material. It's not an easy course. She started it last August and will be lucky to finish by this August (though that's because she doesn't get around to history every day). There's NO WAY I would try to rush her through two of these history courses in a year.

This is what I was wondering.

This year my olders finished the second of two years of American history while I read SOTW Ancients to my 1st grader. I need everyone on the same history next year. I can either make my youngest repeat Ancients, or I can make my olders skip Ancients and go to Middle Ages, or we could try to do both. This would be challenging, but K-12 covers ancients and middle ages in one book.

There's another issue here: Depending on what we do next year, my daughter could either start high school with early American history in 9th or in Ancients. Do all of you have opinions which is a better start for highschool?

It breaks up like this: 7th: ancients/middle ages; 8th: early/late American; 9th: Ancients; 10th: middle ages; 11th: early modern, 12th: modern

OR...

7th: ancients; 8th: middle ages; 9th: early modern 10th: modern; 11th: ancients; 12th: middle ages

I am using vol. 1 this year with my 6th and 7th graders. I wouldn't use it for a younger child. The book spends more chapters on ancient history than middle ages. We started at the beginning of the year and just this week began middle ages. I did the ancients part more of a unit study for each culture and we read a historical fiction book for each unit. We did take outline notes as we read the chapter. I had them choose a unit project and do library research. I found a set of blackline maps to supplement. For the middle ages part I am going to change things a bit and use "Picture the Middle Ages" with each week focusing on a topic like "town", "knight", or "castle". I'm hoping it will be a little more fun for them to end up the year with.

I think you could do it but it would be a bit of a rush. I chose to spread the Ancients out over one year, then we did the Medieval section, which is smaller, over a few months at the beginning of the next year, spreading it out with IEW's MedievalWriting assignments and then Ambleside year 7.

If you wanted to pick and choose what to focus on, you could definitely do the whole book in one year, but it's a lot of information to absorb.

Thanks, ladies.

Do you all think it matters if high school is begun with Ancients or Early Modern? (Another way to think about it: which is better to use to finish high school?)

Whatever we do next year will, consequently, push us to either start high school with Ancients or with Early Modern.

That has been discussed many times and ultimately, it doesnt matter too much....not worth stressing over...but there is an advantage to leaving Ancients till later, because the books tend to be heavier going.